Motorcyclist Killed by Lightning

SpecialEd

When it's your time, it's your time...

I've always wondered if those who are struck by lightning and survive think about the fact that they were as likely to get struck by lightning as they are to winning the lotto... and that they got struck by lightning. 

• Haha 1

That was a few miles North of me on I-95. Wasn't the first time and won't be the last. There was another rider hit last year. Happens here more often. If nothing else, the general area is the lightning capital of the world. I use apps on the phone to warn me. You can also buy a stand alone lightning alarm, for hunters, fishermen, hikers, etc.

edit: Not sure the lightning was fatal, it apparently knocked him out and he crashed at freeway speeds. Hard to say.

Edited by ReconRat

4 hours ago, ReconRat said:

That was a few miles North of me on I-95. Wasn't the first time and won't be the last. There was another rider hit last year. Happens here more often. If nothing else, the general area is the lightning capital of the world. I use apps on the phone to warn me. You can also buy a stand alone lightning alarm, for hunters, fishermen, hikers, etc.

edit: Not sure the lightning was fatal, it apparently knocked him out and he crashed at freeway speeds. Hard to say.

Did you see the photo of his helmet?

22 minutes ago, SpecialEd said:

Did you see the photo of his helmet?

Yes, massive hit. But the crash after that was pretty severe also. Just don't know. I want to add, that lightning strikes can occur well in front of an approaching storm. In the clear dry air, when a motorcycle might be trying to outrun the storm. It's something to do with the mix of cold and hot air in front of a moving front that carries a thunderstorm.