products used for detailing

serpentracer

since you all got the last thread closed about washing your bikes I had to make this one.  that thread got me thinking.  so  i decided to try a few things from the store.   been watching some of the videos on all the latest "ceramic" waxes available.  So I headed down to wallyworld and bought the Meguiar's hybrid ceramic wax.  just get to the point,  it sucks.  and I want my money back lol

I have a 2015 R1 that has 7k miles on it. it lives in a garage.  I washed and clay bared the bike and the wax wouldn't even barely bead water.  and that's what this stuff is supposed to be very good at.  some spots wouldn't even bead water at all.   save your money folks.  it's garbage.  

so while at wallyworld I also seen a motorcycle polish and a motorcycle detailer made by DuPont.  the polish has teflon to repel dirt.   I have not got a chance to test this out. however after my sunday ride it did clean all the bugs off the painted parts and the plastic parts with no hard rubbing. I did my rims with it too just to see if it repels dirt.  my rear rim is always dirty as fuck after a 150 mile ride.  it did also bring off the chain lube on the bike and rim with ease.  and leaves the black plastic parts showroom new looking.  it doesn't streak on the painted parts nor the clear windscreen.  the price was almost $6 a can and is a 12oz can. so not real cheap.  but I'm very happy with how clean and dark it leaves the plastics and frame parts.  

I have not used the Matte detailer yet.  I'll continue the reviews after I ride the bike and clean it again with the detailer.  

here is the results of the meguiars 

here are the DuPont products I'm currently testing.  very happy with the showroom polish so far.  

IMG_20190605_175951487.jpg

Edited by serpentracer
  • Beer 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, serpentracer said:

since you all got the last thread closed about washing your bikes I had to make this one.  that thread got me thinking.  so  i decided to try a few things from the store.   been watching some of the videos on all the latest "ceramic" waxes available.  So I headed down to wallyworld and bought the Meguiar's hybrid ceramic wax.  just get to the point,  it sucks.  and I want my money back lol

I have a 2015 R1 that has 7k miles on it. it lives in a garage.  I washed and clay bared the bike and the wax wouldn't even barely bead water.  and that's what this stuff is supposed to be very good at.  some spots wouldn't even bead water at all.   save your money folks.  it's garbage.  

so while at wallyworld I also seen a motorcycle polish and a motorcycle detailer made by DuPont.  the polish has teflon to repel dirt.   I have not got a chance to test this out. however after my sunday ride it did clean all the bugs off the painted parts and the plastic parts with no hard rubbing. I did my rims with it too just to see if it repels dirt.  my rear rim is always dirty as fuck after a 150 mile ride.  it did also bring off the chain lube on the bike and rim with ease.  and leaves the black plastic parts showroom new looking.  it doesn't streak on the painted parts nor the clear windscreen.  the price was almost $6 a can and is a 12oz can. so not real cheap.  but I'm very happy with how clean and dark it leaves the plastics and frame parts.  

I have not used the Matte detailer yet.  I'll continue the reviews after I ride the bike and clean it again with the detailer.  

here is the results of the meguiars 

here are the DuPont products I'm currently testing.  very happy with the showroom polish so far.  

IMG_20190605_175951487.jpg

I know this is a no brainer and you probably already know but do not use the same rags or bucket or wash mit etc when swapping products.... That polish will ruin your matte finish... My bike is all matte and I've got separate cleaning products for it specifically. I cringed when you said matte and then I see "polish"... Matte finish is rough, that's why it's matte... Polish will unmatte it lol

Edited by Steve Butters

Also for matte paint care, I love Chemical Guys products... I use their matte specific wash and spray detailer for my bike, nothing else touches it. Walmart just started selling Chemical Guys now too and I grabbed their regular wax polish etc for my car and it's all top notch too. Highly recommended products. 

I haven't used the "jet seal" but I use the other two products and love them. The spray detailer has a sealant in it. Might try the jet seal, new product from when i ordered the others. 

https://www.chemicalguys.com/the-complete-matte-kit/HOL99516.html

Edited by Steve Butters

I didn't read anything past ceramic coating because any of those over the counter ones are bullshit and not actual ceramic coating. You're better off with a good polish over the shitty coatings out right now

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, motocat12 said:

Did you ask for advice for this one?

After I washed my bike yesterday, I tried drying it with a Craftsman 26.5 cc weed whacker (Amazon, $99.) Worked great. No streaks. Highly recommended.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bad324 said:

I didn't read anything past ceramic coating because any of those over the counter ones are bullshit and not actual ceramic coating. You're better off with a good polish over the shitty coatings out right now

Sorry, but nobody asked for your advice.

14 hours ago, Steve Butters said:

I know this is a no brainer and you probably already know but do not use the same rags or bucket or wash mit etc when swapping products.... That polish will ruin your matte finish... My bike is all matte and I've got separate cleaning products for it specifically. I cringed when you said matte and then I see "polish"... Matte finish is rough, that's why it's matte... Polish will unmatte it lol

as you can see the silver part on my lower fairing.  I don't know if it's considered a matte finish or just textured.  it's relatively smooth to the touch.  not like some of the matte stuff I've seen before.  like on helmets.    but the polish works good on it.  

Edited by serpentracer

11 hours ago, serpentracer said:

as you can see the silver part on my lower fairing.  I don't know if it's considered a matte finish or just textured.  it's relatively smooth to the touch.  not like some of the matte stuff I've seen before.  like on helmets.    but the polish works good on it.  

Gotcha... Not exactly what I was thinking. My bike is matte like a helmet. Polish would wreck it lol

18 hours ago, SpecialEd said:

Sorry, but nobody asked for your advice.

That's the fun thing about me. Nobody has to ask me for anything, they get it anyway and they like it :lol:

I like this detail stuff so....jumping in to stir up the pot ... 

Been screwing with bikes quite awhile now, and for a quick all surface cleaning and for kinda soiled areas, (not bad for bugs on the front fairing/windshield)  my fav is the original bike spirits polish..

- the background on it is that is that the company used to supply Honda and was sold as Honda polish, then Honda screwed them and decided to drop them as a supplier...and the company decided to rebrand it for sale. Good all purpose stuff. Generally the first thing I grab to clean up something fast, sometimes on the car too. 

http://www.originalbikespirits.com/products/spray-cleaner-polish/

Then lately I have become more interested in detailing in general and have been in a try this, try that mode. Cant resist trying stuff out. Sorta an addiction.. I have an old Honda Accord to experiment shit on... Also been watching a lot of the Apex Detailing Videos on You Tube. Great stuff. That guy Brian does a great job on running product thru its paces.. Never realized that detailing is such an art.. I'm learning as I go, so below is just thing I've tried out, some good, some not so good. 

I have tried for paint pretreat, Meqs Ultimate compound and the Ultimate polish seems ok, I am kinda  "meh" at it,  but since I dont yet have a machine, its a lot of elbow grease. Another paint and surface cleaning polish I'm high on is Pinnacle Black Label Surface Cleaning Polish. Nice stuff, Iike it,  ordered more. (no more Megs for that job) 

More shit...I was using Mequires Tech Wax 2 paste wax awhile, that made the paint pop out. Really liked it..  They discontinued it and it only available in liquid now... (As usual, if I like it, it gets discontinued)

Other shit #2 - Then playing with Chemical Guys stuff. Seems like some stuff is only worth the round file and then with all the multitude of products, seems like they have one base product and they add different coloring.. I spent too much trying stuff, but anyhoo, a few things I discovered l like...

Tryed out the spray swift wipe Waterless Car Wash  -- I give it a "whoa" that works better than expected. Nice clean and shine, paint pops out. Works on windows too. I am going to keep using it... like it.  https://www.chemicalguys.com/swift-wipe-waterless-car-wash/swift-wipe-waterless-wash.html

Couple others Chemical Guys... Wet Mirror Finish.. https://www.chemicalguys.com/wet-mirror-finish-glaze/wet-mirror-finish-glaze.html

And  Extreme Top Coat Sealant. https://www.chemicalguys.com/extreme-top-coat-wax-and-sealant-in-one/extreme-top-coat.html

Like I said I like to experiment - I have a bottle of each above, just for grins I made up a 50/50 mix of the 2 and used it on my 20 year old Honda VFR with read paint.  I have to say Holy shit - wow! Made the give me a ticket red paint jump out. Very wet looking. Very slick feel. Damn I like it! - I think I will keep doing that. - Then tried it on my old Honda Accord, same result, looks like wet paint, very nice. 

Now I have a random orbital polisher on my Christmas list, and will keep trying stuff, but first I have to use up all this other products up.. There's prolly 6 or 8 other bottles or tins of product I've bought to use up. This is kinda expensive try out hobby... 

-------------> So I know there's probly a few detailers or two on this board.... what do you like? 

Cheers and many beers :beer:

I've tried the bike spirits polish before.  The Dupont works better on the plastics.  The Dupont leaves them more wet looking.  The bike spirits just cleans but looks dry.  It's like cleaning your dash in the car vs cleaning the dash and having armor all on it.  

It's not a greasy wet look.  More of a sheen.  They work about the same on paint.

Edited by serpentracer

I also seen a few of those YouTube videos.  There's a guy that goes by pan the organizer. He did a video featuring 3 brands  ceramic wax. turtle was ice vs Meguiars ceramic vs mother's cmx.  Then he used harsh cleaners to see which wax came off easiest.  The Meguiars came off with the first cleaner. A basic cleaner.  Mother's came off a little bit that first time.  Then he moved on to even stronger cleaner.  Meguiars and mother's were both gone.  Then he moved onto acid wheel cleaner.  The turtle wax was still working.  Clearly turtle wax is far superior to both and is $7 vs $15 for Meguiars and $21 for mother's.  I'm going to get some today

so the turtle wax ice seal n shine is NOT a "ceramic" wax.  it's just a synthetic and carnauba wax mix.    I did go ahead and use some even though I put 2 layers of the 3m car show wax on it. I didn't feel like washing the bike etc to get it off before I used it.  it's a clear liquid and it doesn't leave anything on black plastic trim etc.  or glass or the windscreen.  so it's easy to use.  and if it works like it does for the guy on youtube that couldn't wash it off with acid wheel cleaner it's worth 3 times more than it's $7 price tag. 

Edited by serpentracer