Unknown 1978 Honda

SpecialEd

I don't remember this bike at all. Was in college when it came into production. Probably a good thing, too, as I would likely have bought one and promptly killed myself on it.

Anyone remember this machine? It sounds incredible--like a wild animal.

44 minutes ago, SpecialEd said:

I don't remember this bike at all. Was in college when it came into production. Probably a good thing, too, as I would likely have bought one and promptly killed myself on it.

Anyone remember this machine? It sounds incredible--like a wild animal.

There are some really great resto-mod bikes there, bike lust indeed. The sounds give me goosebumps... .. Dont remember? Lots of cannabis was passed around back then...

Edited by mello dude

Mello, you brought a smile to my face with your cannabis blast. The weed we smoked back then was so weak a baby couldn't cop a buzz off of a fat spliff 😆 Good times, though . . .

Speaking of restomods, my prized ride is a 1970 Honda Mini Trail CT70 HKO. It's my daily commuter (I'm a high school teacher) and tops out at just under 70 mph with street tires and lots of other mods to make it roadworthy and safe at speeds it was definitely NOT designed for.

26 minutes ago, mello dude said:

There are some really great resto-mod bikes there, bike lust indeed. The sounds give me goosebumps... .. Dont remember? Lots of cannabis was passed around back then...

2 minutes ago, Gixxus Christ! said:

Yeah, I've seen a few in the wild. Cool bikes but well, it does with 6 cyls and 1100cc what you can do with 4 cyl and 600cc today at about 200 lbs less. Still that sound tho....

Agreed. The sound of that bike in the video combined with my romanticized memories from back in the day give me arm chills. It was nice to be young at that time in history. Such simpler times . . . or am I romanticizing THAT too???

7 minutes ago, SpecialEd said:

Agreed. The sound of that bike in the video combined with my romanticized memories from back in the day give me arm chills. It was nice to be young at that time in history. Such simpler times . . . or am I romanticizing THAT too???

The times of our youth always seem simpler because nostalgia. We are always nostalgic for the good things we remember. Nobody is romanticizing having to adjust the valves or clean and sync the shitty aluminum piston CV, accelerator pump kehien carbs that the CBX came with. Nobody. 

3 minutes ago, Gixxus Christ! said:

The times of our youth always seem simpler because nostalgia. We are always nostalgic for the good things we remember. Nobody is romanticizing having to adjust the valves or clean and sync the shitty aluminum piston CV, accelerator pump kehien carbs that the CBX came with. Nobody. 

Point acknowledged. Some non-bike-related analysis:

I'm 63 now, and life just seems to get better and better with the passing of the years--but in decidedly different ways.

When I was in my 20s, sexual conquests were important and hitting on women at work was not yet at the "@meetoo" point it is now. I was focused on making lots of money back then, too. Built a nice house in the neighborhood in which I grew up, married my girlfriend, worked insane hours . . .

Now . . . I spent nearly $10,000 on the restomoded/15 HP Honda CT70 HK0 that I ride to work each day but could not afford as a teenage pizza shop employee during my senior year in high school--I think they went for about $400 back then, new.

Love my wife, house is paid in full, no kids (maybe regrettably--my wife is 12 years younger than me, and we could have had kids), and I'm still working at a job I love (teaching.) Life is just more satisfying as time progresses. End of unsolicited memoir . . .

I just turned 40. Embarked on a career in manufacturing while still in high school and spent my teens and early 20's basically delivering whatever fun drugs into my brain I could find. Kinda set me back but I've got a good thing going now, married, no kids (we didnt want em) and about to sell our current home and buy something better. I still look back on my younger days as my best tho, I had a lot of fun and got away with a lot of illegal shit and banged some hot chicks. 

2 minutes ago, Gixxus Christ! said:

I just turned 40. Embarked on a career in manufacturing while still in high school and spent my teens and early 20's basically delivering whatever fun drugs into my brain I could find. Kinda set me back but I've got a good thing going now, married, no kids (we didnt want em) and about to sell our current home and buy something better. I still look back on my younger days as my best tho, I had a lot of fun and got away with a lot of illegal shit and banged some hot chicks. 

Love it! Doesn't matter how we get there.

You were wise to be honest with your wife and acknowledge not wanting kids--that's a big issue. I have had many students over the years who were clearly unwanted judging from parent interactions, and that used to make me sad until I realized that they will all "make it" somehow. Life is often messy . . .

6 minutes ago, Gixxus Christ! said:

If we had met 10 years earlier maybe we would have bred a few crotch goblins but we were 30 when we met. By then we were both like 'fuck that noise'.

Got it. My wife was 19 and I was 31 when we met. Neither of us had a desire to have kids back then, and we still don't (although she couldn't now at her current age anyway.) Unless you have an overwhelming desire to make copies of yourselves in order to save the world, I would advise against it. Here we go again . . .

I just think the world is too complicated to bring kids into it without firm convictions about parenting, but know at the same time that this is the same thing our grandparents and parents thought . . . and they still had "us." 

12 minutes ago, Gixxus Christ! said:

Mine had a hysterectomy  6 months ago for medical reasons. I can leave it in as much as I want. No oven, no bun. 

You can leave it in as much as SHE wants--or, eventually, oven door is closed and locked 😆

3 minutes ago, Gixxus Christ! said:

Weren't we talking about old motorcycles? 

Yes, variously, we were. Wasn't aware that your bike had had a hysterectomy, or that you have sex with it "as much as [you] want."

32 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

I don't think they were bad bikes by ujm standards, but they were heavy and expensive.  IIRC they even had fuel injection.

Yeah, water cooled and fuel injected in later years. The motors were under square, which kept them fairly narrow for a 6 but they didnt rev like the Honda. 120 hp at the crank, not too shabby for the vintage but.....heavy and complicated. Still ran production for a decade. 

26 minutes ago, vf1000ride said:

If you wanted a Honda inline 6 that sounded really evil and mean you need the little 250cc RC166

That thing is fucking serious. Pistons must be the size of C batteries. Probably has a 16k redline. Sounds like a flock of pissed off demon hornets.

1 hour ago, Gixxus Christ! said:

That thing is fucking serious. Pistons must be the size of C batteries. Probably has a 16k redline. Sounds like a flock of pissed off demon hornets.

Closer to 20K redline.  Max power was 62hp @18,000 rpm.