Yamahademover

motocat12

The suspension and bike in general didn't feel much different than a standard motorcycle once it was in motion.  The front of the bike (fairings) are wider than I have ridden before so it just makes the bike feel really big in front of you but if you ignored that, the bars, controls and speedo cluster (easy to read) didn't seem any different than any other bike.  Steering felt a little heavy and not as nimble as a sportbike at lower speeds but it wasn't difficult to maneuver and I never felt it do anything that made me concerned.  It accelerated well enough that I didn't feel like I was being left behind with the group on the demo ride but it was damp Thursday morning so I can't say I pushed it very hard either.  Setting up two wide at stop lights was no problem and maybe even a little easier as the bike is extremely stable at a walking pace.  It will fall over if you come to a complete stop without putting your feet down. :)  No I didn't drop it, I had my feet hanging down ready to catch it but you can completely stop and depending on your balance I could get a good second-two of upright while stationary before it wanted to go over.  Going over speed bumps felt normal if both front wheels were on them.  I didn't try splitting a speed bump with one on and one off, crashing a demo is probably frowned upon.  You do have to make a conscious effort to avoid potholes as now you are three tires wide instead of just one.  Never messed with any of the ride modes or electronic settings, they were running a short ride and didn't want to pull my attention from the rest of the riders.  I can't picture myself owning one as it's just not my style but I am glad I rode it.  It was a cool experience on a fairly unique concept.

IMG_20190530_101232123_HDR.jpg

Edited by vf1000ride
  • Thanks 1

Seems like more of a hassle as a motorcycle with 3 wheels than something like a trike or Can-Am. I hadn't thought of rodent avoidance at speed, or road debris in general. That is a huge negative in my book. However, it probably blows through gravel fairly well. Hard to say for sure, but I think I hate it. Would need to ride one to be sure, and even then I am prone to flights of indecision. 

• Upvote 1

Pauly, on top of what you are thinking.  The other negative I can picture that may or may not happen in the future is uneven brake wear.  On a conventional bike with two disks, one of the brakes could possibly be more or less effective than the opposite side of the tire and you would never know it.  On this thing if your front brakes become mismatched and one works better than the other it will pull the steering just like it does in a car.  The last thing I want to do in a panic stop is worry that the bike is going to fight you for control of the direction you are going in.

Got an upclose look at killboy Daryl’s Nikken this weekend.  He said he hasn’t hit any rodents or potholes with it yet but expects that the cantilever and shock set up to compensate well enough for an upset in the chassis.  He said on the road it feels just like a normal  motorcycle except that the faring is bigger.  

On 6/2/2019 at 6:22 PM, Pauly said:

Maybe I am too stupid to figure it out, but my brain thinks that would require one hell of a complex braking system. 

A well developed ABS system can take care of most anything you could think of.  

On 6/2/2019 at 6:22 PM, Pauly said:

Maybe I am too stupid to figure it out, but my brain thinks that would require one hell of a complex braking system. 

18 hours ago, jporter12 said:

A well developed ABS system can take care of most anything you could think of.  

Linking the 2 brakes like is done on every 2 wheel motorcycle would be sufficient to balance the braking forces between the 2 wheels. 

An advanced ABS/stability control system could independently brake the wheels to provide additional stability under emergency braking. That does require additional sensors but no more that is getting pretty common in motorcycles with lean angle sensitive ABS and advanced traction control.

Not that I plan on buying one of these, but my concern is when they start to get some mileage on them and hit the used market. All those linkages, bearing, and bushings up front, do you really trust joe blow backyard mechanic to rebuild the front end of one of those?

If the springs don't match your weight can you change them out or will that mess up all the magic that goes on. Now you've got to buy 4 springs instead of 2.

1 hour ago, blue72beetle said:

Not that I plan on buying one of these, but my concern is when they start to get some mileage on them and hit the used market. All those linkages, bearing, and bushings up front, do you really trust joe blow backyard mechanic to rebuild the front end of one of those?

If the springs don't match your weight can you change them out or will that mess up all the magic that goes on. Now you've got to buy 4 springs instead of 2.

Springs combine in the same attached unit. In a normal fork you can use.5 and 1 to get .75 if the fork isn't a noodle.