Lettuce discuss washing

Gixxus Christ!

No, not your cheese-encrusted yambag, talking about your bike. Never been a big bike washer in the past because most of my bikes weren't really worth the effort, but since I bought the gixxus I've been trying to bathe her regularly.

Started out with just a hose, some armor all carwash soap, a sponge and some turtle wax. Lately I'm going down the rabbit hole tho, with duragloss 902 car wash, chenille wash mitts that look like muppet scrotum, Maguire's pure polymer liquid wax, quick detailer spray, mother's back to black for the plastic trim pieces and all kinds of microfiber towels and applicators. Recently bought a hand-pump foam sprayer for pre-soak to soften up the bugs. I like purple power degreaser for my wheels followed by a soapy microfiber towel and a hose off. 

So what is your go-to when its bath time for your bike? I understand many of you give her the once over maybe annually, and that's fine, I used to do the same, but I really love the way my bike looks and I especially love it after shes had a full wash and wax. Before you chime in with the 'rather be riding it than washing it' dreck, it only takes me maybe half an hour to do a full clean, dry and wax, so it's not like I'm wasting hours of potential riding time rubbing my bike with a diaper. 

Foam cannon ftw.

Just be careful about soaking plugs (for you probably not an issue). I got into my sv650 pretty good with a power washer once and had to ride home from my buddy's with one cyl randomly firing when it felt like it. 

You know how clean that VFR was the entire time I owned it. All I ever used was water, whatever car wash I had and microfiber mitt like twice a year or if I got caught in rain.

Between them just used the honda brite spray cleaner/polish whatever the hell it was.

Just fucking wash it. All that fancy shit is to just get your money. Decent car wash soap and good micros and get it done.

Fucking Whale was the cleanest bike on this forum with near perfect paint and 70K miles. That's all I ever did.

Edited by Tonik
  • Upvote 3

I used to own a car wash.  Every time I saw someone washing a bike I'd tell them not to use the high pressure setting (around 1400 psi) near the plugs.  They usually didn't listen.

Lots of bikes had trouble starting after :dunno:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

I used to own a car wash.  Every time I saw someone washing a bike I'd tell them not to use the high pressure setting (around 1400 psi) near the plugs.  They usually didn't listen.

Lots of bikes had trouble starting after :dunno:

Learned two lessons there. 1 dont use the pressure washer around the plugs and 2, I'll never ever want to buy any kind of small single cyl bike. That is flat out boring af.

2 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

All those things are good for is wasting the most amount of soap in least amount of time possible.

Not sure what one's you were looking at but my buddy uses maybe a cap full and it'll last multiple washes when we bring it out. He's still got the original bottle of foam cannon soap he bought, and no its not a gallon jug.

Edit: just looked it up, he has a 16oz bottle.

Edited by TimTheAzn

I just use a cheap bottle of blue coral soap&wax. I do have a washing mitt for 2 reasons. It lets you reach in small crevices and between things. And two it protects your hand from sharp corners and screws and hardware that sitcks out.

2 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Not sure what one's you were looking at but my buddy uses maybe a cap full and it'll last multiple washes when we bring it out. He's still got the original bottle of foam cannon soap he bought, and no its not a gallon jug.

Edit: just looked it up, he has a 16oz bottle.

I have one and have never been impressed. Just seems to make a bigger mess than it's worth and does very little to assist with the job at hand.

• Beer 1

Just now, 2talltim said:

I have one and have never been impressed. Just seems to make a bigger mess than it's worth and does very little to assist with the job at hand.

It may not be the most practical thing in the world but it's more fun than regular washing LOL

FYI, At car washes (self serve) the options like...presoak, triple foam, foam gun, spot free rinse are all pretty much intended to increase the time spent washing ($) without any noticeable benefit.

All you need is high pressure soap, foam brush, and just rinse with the high pressure wax.  No point rinsing then using the wax.

Throw that quick detailed away. Causes more damage than good. 

Everyone will tell you that I keep my machine very clean.  Only used a hot bucket of car wash soap, a nice clean mit for paint and an old sponge for the wheels and dirtier bits.  Wash a section at a time and rinse.  Rinse entire bike before drying with an old bath towel.  I like meguires gold class wax. 

Keep it simple, small short freq wash is better and easier than long consuming power washer Sunday whole day affair kinda thingy. 

After every ride. Before bugs dirt grime all start to bake in 

use a hose use to rinse away all loose dirt and soak bike

optimum no rinse just few ounces as per instruction for two bucket of 2 g warm water / use 2 bucket washing technique. much better protection against swirls and scratches 

wash mitt to wash bike top to bottom and finish off the wheels with a sponge or another mf cloth. 

Use meg express spray, spray on the wet bike bike itself and wipe clean. Helps are quick dry and quick detailed. This can be used every where seat body chrome what ever. 

Once in a while use optiseal for longer protection. 

Wd40 for chain cleaning then lube up that’s it 

The whole process takes less than 20 min

since it’s easy doesn’t feel like a chore and becomes a habit. 

Keeping products minimal also helps finish work faster 

no need for pressure washer and stuff, mine is left unused last year after I discovered that optimum no rinse wash, I was skeptical first but saw how good it works. I even wash cars in winter with this stuff without damaging paint right inside garage. Less messy and easy. 

The basic principle keep it simple, make it freq short interval wash for always squeaky clean bike. 

These products below will last years after one time purchase since we are talking about after every ride :) 

Optimum (NR2010Q) No Rinse Wash & Shine - 32 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D8DR0AO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_O577Cb6HW3QMT

MEGUIAR'S D15601 Synthetic X-Press Spray Wax, 128. Fluid_Ounces https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005JPJMI2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6.77CbPAXCFMC

Optimum (20239) Opti-Seal with Foam Applicator Pad - 8 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076HYYGTT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_K977CbFEKYJPH

Edited by NinjaDoc

17 hours ago, Gixxus Christ! said:

No, not your cheese-encrusted yambag, talking about your bike. Never been a big bike washer in the past because most of my bikes weren't really worth the effort, but since I bought the gixxus I've been trying to bathe her regularly.

Started out with just a hose, some armor all carwash soap, a sponge and some turtle wax. Lately I'm going down the rabbit hole tho, with duragloss 902 car wash, chenille wash mitts that look like muppet scrotum, Maguire's pure polymer liquid wax, quick detailer spray, mother's back to black for the plastic trim pieces and all kinds of microfiber towels and applicators. Recently bought a hand-pump foam sprayer for pre-soak to soften up the bugs. I like purple power degreaser for my wheels followed by a soapy microfiber towel and a hose off. 

So what is your go-to when its bath time for your bike? I understand many of you give her the once over maybe annually, and that's fine, I used to do the same, but I really love the way my bike looks and I especially love it after shes had a full wash and wax. Before you chime in with the 'rather be riding it than washing it' dreck, it only takes me maybe half an hour to do a full clean, dry and wax, so it's not like I'm wasting hours of potential riding time rubbing my bike with a diaper. 

For fuck's sake! Why not just drop the damned bike off at a day spa? Cheaper and less time consuming.

• Casper locked and pinned this topic
  • 2talltim unlocked this topic
  • Casper unpinned this topic