woolich racing

serpentracer

woolich racing is a company that makes flashing kits for your ecu.  much like FTECU.  I bought $1253 worth of it.  I have the onboard flash cable, logging device, quickshifter with autoblipper, and the zietronix wideband O2 sensor setup for auto tuning.  basically everything they offer for the R1 except the pit lane limiter button for the handle bar.     I don't have a problem with their system as it works as intended even though it has a few quirks.   I do have a problem with how they don't tell you if you don't flash your bike often (every 3 months) they deactivate your account and you have to open a support ticket and wait days for someone to re-activate it.     I spent a lot of money on this system,  I should be able to use it whenever I feel like it.  it's as if my purchase is always being held hostage.   what happens if WR goes out of business and my account is dead?  I means  I can't log into the software and I own $1253 worth of paper weights.   

there is only 1 guy responding to help tickets apparently.  he is a nice guy and all but the company's policy is complete bullshit.  I don't feel this is legal in any way so I sent a complaint to the Ohio AG.  we  will see how it goes.  

so if you're looking at buying one of these systems just beware that this is how woolich racing conducts business after your purchase, you don't technically own it.  I would only recommend FTECU instead after having to deal with this. 

if there is any of you guys with issues with FTECU or Woolich please share.   I'm not purchasing systems from companies with this kind of policy ever again.  

Edited by serpentracer

Good luck with that fight, farmers can't even fix their own tractors because of copyright claims on the ECU/software and they've been fighting that for years.

Seems most data software/hardware companies are going to a sub-based system these days. Ownership is a thing of the past I guess. 🤷‍♂️

this is starting to appear that I have possibly caused all this mayhem unknowingly by changing my SSD drive and re-installing windows.  It looks like they keep track of the pc via the computer name.  I changed it just for experimentation and viola, kick out again.  

ok so woolich returned my pc count back to 0 after I explained what I did and why.  but they never responded to my questions as to why does it lock me out after a set amount of time etc.  i've read the terms of use and nowhere does it say I will be automatically kicked off the system after a period of time of non use.  

oh well, they will have to respond to the offices of Dave Yost lol. 

Edited by serpentracer

• 4 months later...

so, they finally got a lawyer to respond.  so,  basically, its all my fault   so they increased the deactivation time from 3 months to 12.  and whined this will open them up to attacks. lol.  wtf.

it's still bullshit they don't tell you any of this before you buy it.  as far as i'm aware there is no mention of this limitation in any documents on their website.  

the whole blaming me thing is ridiculous.  and i will not recommend this brand to anyone.

• 3 months later...

man guys, I really can't recommend this company to anyone.  I just tried to flash my bike and now the ecu seems to be screwed up from the new software update.  has fault code 50 that means faulty memory in ecu. I hope to god it didn't fry it. I cannot erase it in diagnostic mode so that means whatever is wrong is now permanent. I can't access the menus or settings.  it's basically bricked.    now I just got to wait till they respond to a support ticket again and wait till they find a fix with a new update I guess.  I wish there was a way to roll back this software update.  

Edited by serpentracer

• 1 month later...

so it may have been my fault. they assured me nothing changes with the software updates they just add new bikes to it.  so he walked me through it. I thought i had my kill switch in the run position.  on the new R1 the kill switch is also the starter button. it has off, run and push it to start.    I thought it it didn't matter which position it was in 

so the code 50 was because of that.  once I got that figured out another code came up for the exup servo. on the new R1 you cannot access any of the menus unless you clear the codes.  so thank god I never threw out my servo motor.  I had to take some of the bike apart to get to the wiring i tucked up. once plugged in and erased the bike flashed normally.

I really thought it was fucked up.    it would be nice if woolich opened up their forums.  this could have been posted and saved others a headache if they did this little oversight of the kill switch on the R1.  

Edited by serpentracer
  • Upvote 1

so if you have a R1, you cannot have any fault codes stored or it will cause issues when it's flashed.  this was what had mine all screwed up.  don't throw away any sensors you remove like the exup servo and intake flap etc.  it will not allow it to be flashed correctly with these issues stored in memory. or if you try to return it to a stock map.

Edited by serpentracer
  • Upvote 1