Mobile jump pack recommendations

Steve Butters

Hey everyone.... Can someone suggest a good mobile jump pack that is compact enough to hopefully store on the bike somewhere? I'd like to have one for emergencies where my battery dies. AZ isn't a very push friendly state, at least not around where I live... Super flat and my bike has a tall seat. 

Also.... What's the deal with jump starting a bike? I feel like an idiot asking this because it should be so simple, but every time I've ever tried to jump a bike I get smoke come off the battery terminals and it pops the ignition fuse... I've tried jumping off of as car that was not running and also from a car sized battery jump pack.... It's like the big clips were too big for the bikes battery post or something... 

Last time it broke down I pushed it to the nearby harley dealer and he jumped it with no problem with a little jump machine.... Am I just doing something wrong? I can literally tear a car down and put it all back together but the electrical system on this bike makes me feel like a fucking idiot because I can never figure it out. 

I paid more dollars in registration than miles I've ridden it in the past year. Time to change that. Took if for a spin the other day and remembered why that POS still gets to live in my garage lol

I have one made by Anker  it worked well for a couple  of years but just tried to use it last week and it failed. How ever I did call Anker and even though its a couple years old they are looking into what they can do to help me out with either a fix or replacement. So stand by on the out come of that. This is the newer version of what I have.  https://www.amazon.com/Gasoline-Portable-Advanced-Protection-Flashlight/dp/B071214BB6

37 minutes ago, Tonik said:

My Anker died too. Replaced it with a DBPower which has a much better reputation.

How did yours crap out? The battery unit on mine seems fine but the little idiot proof electronic box on my cables keeps faulting out for no reason. 

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

How did yours crap out? The battery unit on mine seems fine but the little idiot proof electronic box on my cables keeps faulting out for no reason. 

Exactly the same. Fuck Anker.

4 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Exactly the same. Fuck Anker.

I did open that box up and you can bypass the circuitry and make it a direct connection to the battery. I jump started my mower by doing this. But I fear using it on anything with a computer. Might just use it for a battery for my tire pump if Anker won't do anything about it. 

On 5/13/2019 at 12:15 PM, 2talltim said:

Well here the decision they gave me and my retort.

Screenshot_20190513-120557_Outlook.thumb.jpg.461f939e71a88df1e1c8dfb02f7c894b.jpg

Screenshot_20190513-120544_Outlook.thumb.jpg.5ae104d601d7bed74d08788e2fb88c96.jpg

Damn, I've never had that kind of issue dealing with Anker!  I thought they were much better than that, sending me free stuff, and a free replacement to ease a bad review.  This was on $40 earbuds, though.

@Steve Butters  One thing I wonder about with having one of these on the bike in the AZ heat would be how would the Li-Ion batteries hold up to the heat? I wouldn't want to see it burn your ass (literally) if it doesn't like the heat.

12 minutes ago, jporter12 said:

Damn, I've never had that kind of issue dealing with Anker!  I thought they were much better than that, sending me free stuff, and a free replacement to ease a bad review.  This was on $40 earbuds, though.

@Steve Butters  One thing I wonder about with having one of these on the bike in the AZ heat would be how would the Li-Ion batteries hold up to the heat? I wouldn't want to see it burn your ass (literally) if it doesn't like the heat.

Even had a link to escalate my claim. That was shot down in less than 2 hours. 

I bought one from Amazon a while back. Haven't needed it yet, I have had the thought that if I needed it I would still have to take off the seat etc just to get to the battery. 

Has anybody tried to make a wiring harness that could be mounted to the bike so you could just plug in the jump starter kinda like a battery tender trickle charger?

29 minutes ago, Strictly Street said:

I bought one from Amazon a while back. Haven't needed it yet, I have had the thought that if I needed it I would still have to take off the seat etc just to get to the battery. 

Has anybody tried to make a wiring harness that could be mounted to the bike so you could just plug in the jump starter kinda like a battery tender trickle charger?

There are C14 guys that have made a harness. But our battery is IN the frame. Little more complicated than just taking the seat off. 

6 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

OOC, what is the situation where you needed to jump start a bike?  

When your bike relies so heavily on it's electronics and bump starting it almost never works. 

29 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

what's enough amps rating? i was looking at 1000 to have for the car too.

Most of them say in their descriptions up to what size engine they will jump. Think the 400amp one I have says up to 2.8L v6

13 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

When your bike relies so heavily on it's electronics and bump starting it almost never works. 

Did you leave something on and it drained the battery?  In all my years of riding this has never come up.

1 minute ago, Tpoppa said:

Did you leave something on and it drained the battery?  In all my years of riding this has never come up.

I've never personally "needed" mine on the road but have used it to jump a passer by. But I carry one "just incase". Keys can be left on, batteries crap out/short out, ect. In the miles I travel in a typical year I don't want to be in BFE with no phone service and not be prepared. These thing are very compact and could be carried in your pocket if you so choose. 

1 hour ago, Strictly Street said:

off the seat etc just to get to the battery. 

Many of them come with a battery tender style harness.

This one has good reviews and the clamps look a lot more versatile than the DB power.... Anyone have any experience? 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015TKPT1A/?creativeASIN=B015TKPT1A&linkCode=w61&imprToken=LrCRJISamzRFHqOyKLQObQ&slotNum=0&tag=100568-20&th=1&psc=1

Edited by Steve Butters

I bought the one from the link... Thanks for suggesting me away from anker!... The clamps sold me on this one over DB power... It doesn't fit under my seat, so it'll have to be in my tank bag which means it won't be left out in the heat for too long... Should all be good... I'll let yall know the first time it saves me 😂

So since Anker said FU on fixing mine I took matters into my own hands. Decided to see removing the idiot proof box that was my issue. Which is all it is. Keeps people from hooking up backwards or shorting it out or overloading it.

20190602_134511.thumb.jpg.9b76ab139337d51cf37f0b809958a5b8.jpg

So I bypassed the black(saftey) box on the cable and now it does work.

I completely disconnected the battery on my wifes bike and started it with nothing but the anker.  And it started pretty easily. Also tried it on the zero turn mower with no problems.

Now i know ill have to be super careful not to reverse polarity, over load or leave it hooked up too long. But in an emergeny i guss it will work.

I purposely left the negative cable shorter so they couldn't accidentally  touch each other too.

Edited by 2talltim

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 5/13/2019 at 6:30 PM, SherBear2bliss said:

I love the way one I bought 

arteck fire https://www.amazon.com/vdp/b789624aa9544127be6a0a8ba852181a?ref=dp_vse_rvc1

speaking of that, just bought this one. First exploding amazon box i've gotten. Out of the box 0% charge 🙄.Has intelligent clamp with metal pins.(weight about as much as the unit. itself..) some comments say it is the same as bdpower @Tonik but I bought it anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075FPRVCZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

also bought an rc hobby balance charger to measure/balance the shorai's individual cells. My manual does say to pull the main fuse if not riding for 15 days. I'm tempted to wire in a switch.

image.thumb.png.22d4f5be41b228c86cecb39c56bdc5ff.pngalso