Mid-Ohio Cherry Popping . . .

Scorpion-Ninja

11 hours ago, F4iguy said:

It’s technically not a twilight. It’s an afternoon/evening (1/2 day). It cost $10 more than the twilight. Ha ha

It will be closer to a full day that half a day. 5-6 sessions would be my guess. I’ll know more tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

correct!  im only doing MO this sat+sun because its the only sat+sun they run it. And doing a normal MO mon+tues during the work week DONT fit my schedule. 

This is my first time doing MO too, im excited to be on a new to me track. Gingerman + Grattan after 5 years can get boring! :) 

So my first time at Mid Ohio on Saturday. Sunday was cancelled due to Rain. Full Refund! 

I love this track, I will make sure I come down Annually for 1 weekend (or 1day if shit forecast) from now on!  :)

Its like 210 miles from my house. (Same distance as Gingerman, here in Michigan for me!)

This is the 4th Session. I did NOT get to record the 5th (Final) one of 7pm ish). I think my battery died or was low prior to the 5th and I forgot to change it out! Oh well :(

14 hours ago, Scorpion-Ninja said:

So my first time at Mid Ohio on Saturday. Sunday was cancelled due to Rain. Full Refund! 

I love this track, I will make sure I come down Annually for 1 weekend (or 1day if shit forecast) from now on!  :)

Its like 210 miles from my house. (Same distance as Gingerman, here in Michigan for me!)

This is the 4th Session. I did NOT get to record the 5th (Final) one of 7pm ish). I think my battery died or was low prior to the 5th and I forgot to change it out! Oh well :(

Good looking video... Around the 8 minute mark is why Novice can be a drag sometimes.  When you get stuck by a lag rider and not even the CR is supposed to pass and you are just cruising at 40mph around the track.  One lap I saw you do about a 2:03 lap  (from 4:51 - 6:54 in the video) - were you still being held up by your group??  About 1:52 to 1:56/lap consistent is a time where you can consider a bump to intermediate which could allow you to run as fast as you'd like and not get held up. 

yea I'm sure I could do lap times of 1.55's if I was just alone.  I tend to hang back and keep a bigger distance for varies reasons. One of my other videos from mid-ohio a FZ09 rider almost wipes in from of me. No body postion at all. It was funny as shit. He and I, had a chat after that session. He was pitted near me for that weekend! :)

IMO, lap times have zero to do with bumps or group choice. Safety, Line, Skill, Ability, Consistency, Predictability are the factors not times.

Ill take a someone in I running 2:20 dead on the line over someone running 1:50 using the whole fucking track and a different line every single corner....

• Upvote 1

Good decision making, lines, consistency, and being predictable are just as if not more important. When someone comes around the outside of you and they could reach out and touch the bottom of your belly pan knees down at 85mph, we want to make sure both of you have your heads screwed on straight lol.

That being said, you also have to carry some sort of pace or it just wont happen.

Edited by TimTheAzn
  • Upvote 1

we say it all the time to riders at trackdays… stop worrying about your times.. they mean almost nothing even at an intermediate pace. like said above its about smooth safe consistent laps... i'll say it again consistent and smooth.  when watching riders to see what they can improve on this is where we talk first , when evaluation bumps this is what we look for.. I will NEVER move a dude running say a :45 a mid ohio if he / she is all over the place or the  pace isn't consistent . but I will every time move a rider that is say a :55 but  knocks back lap after lap like a damn metronome.  why?  though pace is a factor, if means jack all if other riders aren't safe around you/them. yes its the job of the passing rider to pass safely but that can be difficult if the rider in front is unpredictable. i've bumped Advanced riders down a lot for just this issue.

also time will start to matter when you are on the cusp of advanced or in advanced  give you are clicking them off consistently then you can work on sectors and evaluate what is working and what isn't ..

man that was  broad and long winded

• Upvote 1

On 9/6/2019 at 9:57 AM, TwiztedRabbit said:

we say it all the time to riders at trackdays… stop worrying about your times.. they mean almost nothing even at an intermediate pace. like said above its about smooth safe consistent laps... i'll say it again consistent and smooth. 

Yes, its the job of the passing rider to pass safely   but that can be difficult if the rider in front is unpredictable.  i've bumped Advanced riders down a lot for just this issue.

that is why I tend to hang back and try to study the slower rider in front of me. Most of the time they are on a more powerful bike than my 64HP Ninja 650R, when rolling on throttle during corner Exit. Anyhow, I never asked for a bump to "I" while at mid-ohio.  I was just trying to learn more about the track, turn some laps and build upon that. Remember this was my very first time here for this track!   

I shall be @ Grattan upcoming Sept. 21-22nd weekend soon! I hope to see some of you there? :)