Mid-Ohio Cherry Popping . . .

Scorpion-Ninja

Hello folks,

I'm planning on coming down to do my first trackday at your Mid-Ohio raceway the weekend of August 31st & Sept. 1st, 2019 weekend!!!

Since it will be my first time at Mid-Ohio, I shall be in NOVICE of course, but I hope after the first session or few, they will move me up to Intermediate! (I've done 23 trackdays with STT here in Michigan at Grattan & Gingerman raceways in the past) :)

I will arrive at the track about 1PM that Saturday, just in time to register. I will be camping overnight and will have Corona's to drink!

Looking forward to seeing maybe a few of you again, that I've met during the Epic Ohio rides in years past and meeting afew that I haven't!  

:D

54 minutes ago, Scorpion-Ninja said:

Hello folks,

I'm planning on coming down to do my first trackday at your Mid-Ohio raceway the weekend of August 31st & Sept. 1st, 2019 weekend!!!

Since it will be my first time at Mid-Ohio, I shall be in NOVICE of course, but I hope after the first session or few, they will move me up to Intermediate! (I've done 23 trackdays with STT here in Michigan at Grattan & Gingerman raceways in the past) :)

I will arrive at the track about 1PM that Saturday, just in time to register. I will be camping overnight and will have Corona's to drink!

Looking forward to seeing maybe a few of you again, that I've met during the Epic Ohio rides in years past and meeting afew that I haven't!  

:D

Awesome man!  Just be careful,  MidOhio can fill up in advance and I'd hate to see you come all that way and not get a spot.  You should call in advance and schedule it to make sure you get the spot. 

Edited by DerekClouser

They were pretty strict about starting in novice last year if you've never been. You can try to sign up as I but understand they may stick you in Novice for the first session or 2. The only way around it was if you held a race license of some sort. 

Other helpful advice - 

Garages are $50 for the day and come with power. They can fit 4 or so bikes. 
They have water bottles, but they disappear not long after lunch, bring your own. 
Lunch is provided, the caesar salad is pretty good.
The bathrooms suck (although I heard they were re-doing their facilities for this year?), poop before you get there if you can manage it.
If the track is damp/cold, be REAL careful or just wait for things to get better. It is as slick as people say it is under less than ideal conditions. 

To be fair, the fast novice group is faster than 50% of I group... 

Edited by what

1 hour ago, TimTheAzn said:

They don't record or check. It's an honor system for better or for worse. At least since the last time I rode there.

This is exactly correct. They simply ask if you have. To which you answer yes and sign in I

4 minutes ago, what said:

They were pretty strict about starting in novice last year if you've never been. You can try to sign up as I but understand they may stick you in Novice for the first session or 2. The only way around it was if you held a race license of some sort. 

To be fair, the fast novice group is faster than 50% of I group... 

The way around is not saying you’ve never been there. 

And I have no idea what you are talking about with that 50% faster part. I coached novice there many times. Novice group is not faster than Intermediate. Hell we don’t even let N off their incredibly short leash until the end of the day and even then we still heard them into neat little flocks lol

4 minutes ago, MidgetTodd said:

The way around is not saying you’ve never been there. 

And I have no idea what you are talking about with that 50% faster part. I coached novice there many times. Novice group is not faster than Intermediate. Hell we don’t even let N off their incredibly short leash until the end of the day and even then we still heard them into neat little flocks lol

I mean exactly what I said, half of the people in I group have no idea WTF they are doing. The lead novice group is faster than these people because they are willing to learn and have a tow behind a CR. 

Edited by what

5 minutes ago, MidgetTodd said:

Never seen that. Except maybe a dewy morning session or two when people are being cautious 

Maybe I just show up on bad days for I group, lol :p 

Not my problem anymore though. 

Hi, lol yea I've watched several Youtube videos and read alot of comments there and some here from yall, about MO being slick in the mornings. Dude it sounds just like fucking GRATTAN mornings!!! :lol:

I'm not pre-paying until like 2 weeks prior to the event, but I will CALL them and talk to them over the phone, etc first! Well as long as I dont wad up my bike in the early summer at Grattan! :)

Yo are they really strict about using Hilow oil filters? (I currently have one on my bike, NPs) for tech? Its not a big deal, as I will need to change my oil prior to doing MO anyways. I would use a OEM kawi filter wired to a safety clamp!

1 minute ago, Scorpion-Ninja said:

Hi, lol yea I've watched several Youtube videos and read alot of comments there and some here from yall, about MO being slick in the mornings. Dude it sounds just like fucking GRATTAN mornings!!! :lol:

I'm not pre-paying until like 2 weeks prior to the event, but I will CALL them and talk to them over the phone, etc first! Well as long as I dont wad up my bike in the early summer at Grattan! :)

Yo are they really strict about using Hilow oil filters? (I currently have one on my bike, NPs) for tech? Its not a big deal, as I will need to change my oil prior to doing MO anyways. I would use a OEM kawi filter wired to a safety clamp!

DO NOT USE HIFLOW!  Or anything with a nut on the end.  OEM is safe.  They will not let you ride without a proper filter.  100% GTFO if you have a filter on their banned list.

1 minute ago, jacobhawkins said:

DO NOT USE HIFLOW!  Or anything with a nut on the end.  OEM is safe.  They will not let you ride without a proper filter.  100% GTFO if you have a filter on their banned list.

Ok NP!

26 minutes ago, Scorpion-Ninja said:

Oh another question, would any of you guys bring and set up a Beacon of your own? I have a XT racing mini lap timer I would be using, what side would I have to set the I/R receiver on?

Andy and I can bring a beacon, but I won't be there the weekend you are.  There is usually someone running a beacon anyway.  Receiver pointed left.

On 5/2/2019 at 6:53 PM, jacobhawkins said:

Andy and I can bring a beacon, but I won't be there the weekend you are.  There is usually someone running a beacon anyway.  Receiver pointed left.

I'm sure someone there would set up a beacon, just was wondering if anyone from OR* would be and Left or Right. Thanks!

26 minutes ago, Scorpion-Ninja said:

I'm sure someone there would set up a beacon, just was wondering if anyone from OR* would be and Left or Right. Thanks!

I have one, not sure about my schedule so far out though. If I'm there I'll have it with me. 

• 3 months later...

PAID!  Called and talked with MO yesterday. 

Novice on Saturday (hopefully get bumped after 1-2 sessions I get the race line down pat)

Intermediate on Sunday!

If you see me, stop by and chat. 

Black Escape w/ Uhaul trailer.

Blue canopy, Red Ninja 650R, White Scorpion Hurricane suit!!!

2 hours ago, Scorpion-Ninja said:

PAID!  Called and talked with MO yesterday. 

Novice on Saturday (hopefully get bumped after 1-2 sessions I get the race line down pat)

Intermediate on Sunday!

If you see me, stop by and chat. 

Black Escape w/ Uhaul trailer.

Blue canopy, Red Ninja 650R, White Scorpion Hurricane suit!!!

They're having novice class during a twilight?