Jump to content
SpecialEd

Weird Engine Break-in Protocol

Recommended Posts

On 5/13/2019 at 11:35 AM, ReconRat said:

back in the day... when I worked in the early years at a Honda shop, those early bikes were tight from the factory. Several engines were ruined on demo rides, when they were thrashed before they were ready for that. I do not think this happens anymore from the factory. I haven't heard of such happening. But if you rebuild your own engine, and it needs a gentle break-in, by all means be gentle. I have always been gentle on the break-in for an engine that I re-built myself.

Yup, this makes perfect sense. I'm in no hurry. My bike will be a commuter, and will be kept for a very long time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, any new bike deserves respect. It's a learning experience, regardless of the rider's background. Be at ease with the motorcycle for that first season. Treat it with respect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ReconRat said:

Also, any new bike deserves respect. It's a learning experience, regardless of the rider's background. Be at ease with the motorcycle for that first season. Treat it with respect.

Recon, someone else earlier in this thread raised a similar point to the one you make here, and this is something important that every new owner should pay attention to. Great advice. It's almost as if the universe is telling us to go easy for both our and our bikes' sake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure what the break-in recommendations are for a new motorcycle, but with cars there is none.  The technology and tolerances we have today have made break-in obsolete.  I'd bet new bikes that have a break-in period do so just a a CYA strategy for the manufacturer.  

As for the engine in the OP, it sounds as though someone built the engine for them, so I would get with the builder and do what they recommend, since they will be the one that has to stand behind their work.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jporter12 said:

 

As for the engine in the OP, it sounds as though someone built the engine for them, so I would get with the builder and do what they recommend, since they will be the one that has to stand behind their work.  

Yup, this is my bike, and the builder is a freak about gentle break-in, along with very frequent oil and filter changes within the first 200 miles. The engine alone for this project cost me just about half the total price, so I'm erring on the side of caution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2019 at 9:04 AM, ReconRat said:

Also, any new bike deserves respect. It's a learning experience, regardless of the rider's background. Be at ease with the motorcycle for that first season. Treat it with respect.

Within 90 days of owning mine I had caught a civil citation and two separate criminal cases related to traffic laws 😂 pretty much the opposite of respect... I almost had to sell the thing, I had no self control on it and couldn't afford all the tickets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steve Butters said:

Within 90 days of owning mine I had caught a civil citation and two separate criminal cases related to traffic laws 😂 pretty much the opposite of respect... I almost had to sell the thing, I had no self control on it and couldn't afford all the tickets. 

Possession of (and riding) a criminal tool 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Steve Butters said:

Within 90 days of owning mine I had caught a civil citation and two separate criminal cases related to traffic laws 😂 pretty much the opposite of respect... I almost had to sell the thing, I had no self control on it and couldn't afford all the tickets. 

yup, me too with my first bike. Maxed out speeding tickets. Too young and too much fun. A smaller bike can be thrashed into trouble easily. Leaving for two years in the Army cooled things off, and gave me some discipline to change my ways a little bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ReconRat said:

yup, me too with my first bike. Maxed out speeding tickets. Too young and too much fun. A smaller bike can be thrashed into trouble easily. Leaving for two years in the Army cooled things off, and gave me some discipline to change my ways a little bit.

I'm 63, and am often amazed I made it through high school (and even college) without accidentally killing myself driving or riding. Things change quickly as we age!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×