MSF Instructors

Shoop

I'm starting the process to become an MSF trainer for the West Virginia program. 

Two years ago I attended the Advanced Riders Course in Marietta in the Ohio program. At the time and each Spring since then the Motorcycle Ohio program has sent mail and or emails to ask if I'd consider becoming an instructor. I live in WV and so I thought I'd ask folks in the WV program. Turns out they were interested and now I'm in the beginning of getting into the program.

So, I'm asking for any insight that other instructors on here would care to share.

Also, I heard in that 2017 ARC session that the MotorcycleOhio program was departing from the MSF approach to use a curriculum that was developed in some other state - WI, or maybe MT. Could somebody involved in the MotorcycleOhio program explain what is different in the new approach?

Thanks, 

Chris

• Beer 1

11 hours ago, Shoop said:

I'm starting the process to become an MSF trainer for the West Virginia program. 

Two years ago I attended the Advanced Riders Course in Marietta in the Ohio program. At the time and each Spring since then the Motorcycle Ohio program has sent mail and or emails to ask if I'd consider becoming an instructor. I live in WV and so I thought I'd ask folks in the WV program. Turns out they were interested and now I'm in the beginning of getting into the program.

So, I'm asking for any insight that other instructors on here would care to share.

Also, I heard in that 2017 ARC session that the MotorcycleOhio program was departing from the MSF approach to use a curriculum that was developed in some other state - WI, or maybe MT. Could somebody involved in the MotorcycleOhio program explain what is different in the new approach?

Thanks, 

Chris

The class is much more real life riding orientated. Exercices such as  Tight turns from a stop, interacting with traffic, U-Turn only to the left (not the figure 8 box)... Lane changing, etc.

Motorcycle Ohio now uses an "In House developed" program. The state in which it was modeled  after escapes me (I want say Utah, but I'm not sure, it's been several years now). The program has been heavly modified at this point, and really is unique to Ohio. 

The main difference this program offers, from my point of view, is we really aproch new riders with a fast pace learning. The idea here, is to get people moving, and onto a quick speed at the start to help with balance, and clutch control. You will hear a coach repeat over and over at the first 2 exercises "Good launch, Brisk acceleration". 

As far as becoming a coach and my recommendation, if you really REALLY, like motorcycles and think this is for you, go buy a bike and ride it. Don't be a coach. I hardly get time to ride any more, as most of my time is teaching, or I'm with my family. 

We don't really ride (us coaches) during a class anymore, our priority is teaching. 

Be a coach because you feel it's important to be safe, and help new riders get into the sport. Also prepare yourself to deal with someone that needs to be Coached out of motorcycles. 

Any questions, just ask. 

The program that Motorcycle Ohio developed started with the Idaho STAR program. 

I disagree with Dustin regarding not riding after becoming a coach.  I coach several classes early in the season, I'll be in Nelsonville coaching in an hour, so I can ride when I want to in the summer and fall.  I don't mind getting rained on occasionally if I can do the kind of riding I like to do later on.  The requirements to maintain your certification are to coach two classes a year.  Not hard, and would hardly make a meaningful impact your your "personal" riding unless you choose to coach more, and that's on you.  That was the standard when we were using the MSF also, I don't anticipate that it changed.  

I have not seen the new MSF program, but hear very good things from people who's opinion I value.  It was updated just after the time Ohio stopped using it.  

I appreciate your interest in becoming a coach for WV, the value you'll bring to real people's enjoyment and safety in the sport will be huge.  Are there any specific questions you have? 

Good luck and thank you!

Derek / Dustin / Jacob - Thanks for the feedback. 

I don't have any specific questions. I was mostly just interested in the difference between the new OH program versus the MSF program. Those sound like good changes, but apparently MSF has also done some updates. I went through the ERC in 2013 when I got back into riding after 25 years away from it. It was an excellent experience. Then I also took the ARC twice, actually one and a half times. Again, a great learning experience. 

I think I want to do this for the right reasons. I just want to help people get started in the safest manner, well safest given that they won't spend a few years off-road first. I figure that I have time since the kids are grown up and moved out. I enjoyed coaching rec league soccer for 17 years, during that break from motorcycling, so I know a bit about students with attitude. :) Also, I have a buddy in NJ who started coaching for MSF a few years ago. He's told me lots about it and would agree that the hard part is handling those that should not hit the streets or that need a lot more practice before getting there.

Dustin - thanks for the suggestion that I should get another bike, but I'm up to three now, sport, sport-touring, and dual sport, and the wife isn't complaining yet - but I can see that condition from here. 

Chris