Shorai Motorcycle Batteries

RidersDiscount

While better technology exists, motorcycles of all kinds are going down the road needlessly carrying a heavy slab of lead. For just about every bike on the market, a better option exists in the form of a Shorai Battery. There’s no lead here, but rather, a well-engineered lithium iron phosphate power cell that provides more starting power, less self-discharge and a longer life than the lead-acid battery it replaces.

972525547_RDShoraiLFX18A1-BS12-7.jpg.5a78e9cdcca878bcc6cc3d3200bb55d0.jpg

Each Shorai battery chassis is designed to be as small and as light as possible. And, while the chassis may look the almost the same as a conventional motorcycle battery, you’ll notice right away when picking it up that you’re holding something special. Depending on the machine, you can expect to save anywhere from 6-20lbs. off your bike’s weight. Power output aside, in terms of weight savings to value, there’s nothing else you can replace on your bike that saves so much weight at such a reasonable price.

170497783_RDShoraiLFX18A1-BS12-3.jpg.bb969f90693d25233457a28747cd5fff.jpg

For bikes with high-compression pistons or other modifications that make turning over the engine more demanding on the starter, the battery is ready for the challenge. Each battery is rated to operate at a higher voltage output  than the stock unit it replaces. This makes a Shorai battery an excellent choice for performance engine builds. And when riding season is over, the battery’s low self-discharge rate means you can pull it out of your bike, put it inside and not have to worry about it becoming flat when springtime rolls around.  Just install when it’s warm and go!

Shorai batteries require no special modifications to your bike’s stock charging system. Even the electrical poles are the same arrangement as the stock battery you’re replacing making installation a snap. And, because the power elements are fitted inside as small a chassis a possible, easily-cut foam blocks are included with each battery to provide a simple, quick installation in your bike’s OEM battery box. You can also use the additional space for fitting various tuning components, such as a Power Commander V, in that newly-available space.

1799868924_RDShoraiLFX18A1-BS12-8.jpg.edc9dcbf0daff066d679f7dc2402906e.jpg

1473694522_RDShoraiLFX18A1-BS12-6.jpg.bdf314667027a6ed169bd65b1740d6c1.jpg

Backed by a five year manufacturer warranty, you can buy with confidence. To get your own model-specific Shorai battery, give TJ a call on 866.931.6644 ext 817, send a note to forum@ridersdiscount.com with SHORAI BATTERY in the subject line along with the model and year of the bike you’re riding, or just shoot us a PM and we’ll get right back to you.

We've been using the Lithium batteries since 2010.  In that time as long as you take care of the lithium battery (don't completely discharge it) they have outlasted lead acid or AGM batteries from the same time period.

Edited by RidersDiscount

Just some 2 cents on these from a geek foole.. .... - I have been using a LiFePO4 type of battery for 5 years in my VFR and I do like it.  Very good cranking power and zero maintenance.  (I just bought my 2nd one for these season, so 5 years on the first)  -- -

I think the mistake people tend to do with these is to treat them like a LeadAcid or AGM. --They are a different animal. (Would you feed dog food to a cat?)---  In a normal lifetime, the LiFePO4 never need charging unless you screw up and discharge it.   Also your bike charging system needs to be in top shape.  Come winter, my routine is to disconnect and bring it in the house, set on my desk, You do need to pull it inside for winter. ...For grins I measure voltage... 13.23v  for October.... 13.20v for March. Do not put them on a tender.

2 hours ago, mello dude said:

Just some 2 cents on these from a geek foole.. .... - I have been using a LiFePO4 type of battery for 5 years in my VFR and I do like it.  Very good cranking power and zero maintenance.  (I just bought my 2nd one for these season, so 5 years on the first)  -- -

I think the mistake people tend to do with these is to treat them like a LeadAcid or AGM. --They are a different animal. (Would you feed dog food to a cat?)---  In a normal lifetime, the LiFePO4 never need charging unless you screw up and discharge it.   Also your bike charging system needs to be in top shape.  Come winter, my routine is to disconnect and bring it in the house, set on my desk, You do need to pull it inside for winter. ...For grins I measure voltage... 13.23v  for October.... 13.20v for March. Do not put them on a tender.

There are tenders specifically made for these types of batteries

You definitely have to pay attention to parasitic draw, as it will kill a lithium battery.   The manufacturer specific chargers will generally be balance chargers (they charge the cells individually) which will extend the life of the battery.  

Apologies for the battery charging tangent, but what you guys say is very true - multi-cell batteries (usually one, two or three parallel rows of a 3-cell series) need to be charged in a way that brings each cell to the same voltages or else you can damage or even cook the battery.  A friend into RC airplanes caught his garage on fire charging a 4S cell with a non-balancing charger 4 years ago.  I always look for batteries that explicitly state they're compatible with simple chargers (i.e. they have balancing circuits built into the battery) or have a separate balancing charger.  You can visually tell the difference by looking for a secondary charging port with 4+ pins (ground plus one pin for each series row).

1 hour ago, alaxjordan0 said:

How can I increase my battery backup? The idea I got from your info.

If the question is to me, I'm not sure I understand.  Could you restate it differently?

20 hours ago, smccrory said:

If the question is to me, I'm not sure I understand.  Could you restate it differently?

Thanks for jumping in with the info.  Alax should probably drop us a PM if he has questions on the battery.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry but I do not understand your question.  "how can I hold my battery backup long"

Are you asking how you can make your battery last longer?   If you have a lithium battery it will last longer by maintaining it with a balance charger.  Do not discharge the battery as you can damage the cells.

Edited by RidersDiscount

• 10 months later...

Shorai offers a balance charger which delivers energy to each cell within the battery in a way that provides maximum power output and preserve battery life.  

1903332489_RDShoraiLFX18A1-BS12-1.jpg.183e581f59f7c3f3bb1a5593ffb1779b.jpg
If you are looking to cut down on the physical size of the battery Shorai will be able to do that in most cases as well.

1215650923_RDShoraiLFX18A1-BS12-5.jpg.9e6f17c192bcc2258836670e46fe04ba.jpg
Call 866-931-6644 to order your battery today!