Who has a Speed Triple?

MidgetTodd

I was looking at them - I wouldn't buy one before the 2016 model though. The weight reduction and slight power increase it got made it less of a tugboat compared to the MT10/Z900 from what I've read. 

R model? Year? 

What do you like and not like about it? 

All day comfort for one and two up? 

What is your riding style? I’m wanting a comfortable upright with enough power and handling to still suit my full retard riding style 

5 hours ago, MidgetTodd said:

All day comfort for one and two up? 

What is your riding style? I’m wanting a comfortable upright with enough power and handling to still suit my full retard riding style 

The ergos are the same as the Street Triple, and I have done 14 hour days on it and been fine riding the next day. I'm 6'6 though so... 

8 hours ago, what said:

The ergos are the same as the Street Triple, and I have done 14 hour days on it and been fine riding the next day. I'm 6'6 though so... 

I went and sat on both at Iron Pony Friday, they were completely different 

3 hours ago, MidgetTodd said:

I went and sat on both at Iron Pony Friday, they were completely different 

Must have changed ergos on the newer ones, or I just didn't ever notice any difference. I think they did ditch the old street triple subframe for the daytona subframe on the triple RS. I'm being super helpful!

If you're looking for a naked with comfort and the ability to 2-up/do some longer distance riding... the MT-10 has a touring package straight from yamaha. Not sure how comfortable the rear seat is but I know that thing will wheelie every chance it gets. Plus, cruise control. 

Edited by what

Not new. Getting a cheaper used one to hold me over until I get my KTMs   

Looking at a couple 12 and 13 R models. 

I don’t think I could go the MT10 route after the level of disappointment the FZ09 gave me. 

I want the comfort for all day and definitely want the handling to still ride with my usual suspects. 

Keeping the lady comfortable on the back is just a plus

I would suggest a bike like mine but I don't know your budget for a hooligan two up bike.

On second thought never mind. While you might be able to handle it because of riding dirt bikes you could never handle it safely with a passenger because midget.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Uncle Punk said:

I would suggest a bike like mine but I don't know your budget for a hooligan two up bike.

On second thought never mind. While you might be able to handle it because of riding dirt bikes you could never handle it safely with a passenger because midget.

Budget,  dont really have one. The couple Im looking at are used $7000 and under as I really don"t plan to keep it more than this season unless it completely impresses.

The Midget part, I just unhook the kickstand safety switch so I can kick her down at lights if theres no curb to pull along. You merely adapted to the stuby life, I was born into it lol 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a very long history of Speed Triple ownership, since I have a 1997 I bought in 1998 and now is into six-figure mileage. But of course it's so different from what you're looking at my experience is irrelevant.

I also got to ride both the 2018 Street Triple RS and 2018 Speed Triple RS. Of those, I would definitely choose the Street, but that's mostly down to personal preference and price. And those bikes are both too new to be relevant.

So in other words, I have nothing useful to add since everything I've ridden is either too old or too new, so I'll just show myself out now.

• Beer 1

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:54 PM, MidgetTodd said:

Budget,  dont really have one. The couple Im looking at are used $7000 and under as I really don"t plan to keep it more than this season unless it completely impresses.

The Midget part, I just unhook the kickstand safety switch so I can kick her down at lights if theres no curb to pull along. You merely adapted to the stuby life, I was born into it lol 

You could pick up a bike like mine for under $12K and not be bored plus it carries passengers just fine.

On 4/17/2019 at 4:12 PM, motociclista said:

So in other words, I have nothing useful to add since everything I've ridden is either too old or too new, so I'll just show myself out now.

I've seen speed triples before . So I say get a vtwin or v4 instead. 

30" seat height

https://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/d/columbus-2016-motus-st/6868871481.html

On 4/17/2019 at 4:12 PM, motociclista said:

I also got to ride both the 2018 Street Triple RS and 2018 Speed Triple RS. Of those, I would definitely choose the Street, but that's mostly down to personal preference and price. And those bikes are both too new to be relevant.

Why would you choose the street over the speed? Would that still be your choice if the street was still a 675? Or is the 765 that much better?

33 minutes ago, MidgetTodd said:

Why would you choose the street over the speed? Would that still be your choice if the street was still a 675? Or is the 765 that much better?

I would also pick the Street.  Only things the 1050 does better is straight line speed, and less shifting.

48 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

I would also pick the Street.  Only things the 1050 does better is straight line speed, and less shifting.

Bigger comfy seat and Ohlins from what I’m seeing too

The street R still doesn’t get Ohlins it get KYB and Showa