NinjaDoc

Random motorcycle thoughts and talk

On 3/30/2019 at 1:42 PM, Danimal said:

I’m changing up things as far as rain gear. 

Last coat I wore was a BMW Rally Pro 2. It used a Goretex LINER. 

So....In a downpour, your whole coat would soak and weigh a ton, but you would be dry. Having to stop, remove coat, zip-in liner etc was also a pain in the ass. 

So....I left the liner at home and took my old Tourmaster Rain Suit to wear over the coat. 

Worked fine until the small stuff bag I strapped to the top of my topcase flew off somewhere in Mexico. Rest of the trip I just got wet. 

FFWD to now. Just picked up on ADV’s flea market a brand new Klim Badlands coat for $400! (Retail over a grand!) in high-vis yellow and black.  The Klim is a bonded Goretex outer layer! As no air easily passes through, ventilation is done through a whole series of vents that zip open. 

And it has an awesome built-in lower back support belt, which will be great. Also carries a hydration bladder. 

Still feel weird setting out with an unproven (to me) system. Am trusting Klim knows what they’re doing. 

Sorry for the hijack. 

Dan:  I did the same last year--picked up a used Klim 2-pc suit from ADVR and sold my AS onsie, also purchased used from ADVR.  I did 5800 miles last spring from Cinti to CA border, meeting up with some friends in Dallas and NM along the way, then back east across southern UT and CO.  Rode thru temps of 108* across west TX and temps of 28* and sleet near Bryce, a couple of frog stranglers in CO and and snow near Cedar Breaks, UT.  Never got wet, was able to keep "relatively" cool in the heat (Hey, 108* is just plain f'n HOT!!!) with the vents open and stayed pretty warm thru the 28* sleet in Bryce NP.  I did carry a thin thermal underlayer with me from UA to put on when temps were below 40.  If your gear is of the same quality as mine, it'll serve you well in a wide range of temps and precipitation conditions.  You should be good to go!

Have a great trip and post lots of pics for us homebodies.

Edited by Bubba
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bubba said:

Dan:  I did the same last year--picked up a used Klim 2-pc suit from ADVR and sold my AS onsie, also purchased used from ADVR.  I did 5800 miles last spring from Cinti to CA border, meeting up with some friends in Dallas and NM along the way, then back east across southern UT and CO.  Rode thru temps of 108* across west TX and temps of 28* and sleet near Bryce, a couple of frog stranglers in CO and and snow near Cedar Breaks, UT.  Never got wet, was able to keep "relatively" cool in the heat (Hey, 108* is just plain f'n HOT!!!) with the vents open and stayed pretty warm thru the 28* sleet in Bryce NP.  I did carry a thin thermal underlayer with me from UA to put on when temps were below 40.  If your gear is of the same quality as mine, it'll serve you well in a wide range of temps and precipitation conditions.  You should be good to go!

Have a great trip and post lots of pics for us homebodies.

I’ll rock my Gerbing liner when needed for warmth. 

I really like my BMW Rally Pro pants, so am not looking for matching Klim pants. Mr. mix and match. 

Thanks for the well-wishes, and I’m still updating my blog often on ADV. My blog there now has over 123,000 followers! Stay tuned!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The coming weekend looks like 70, of course I won’t be able to ride 😡

enjoy who ever is free to ride :) 

Pretty much in the same boat Doc. I feel your pain. 

Edited by durk
  • Upvote 1

Retirement is awesome. I can ride whenever the weather is good.

• Beer 1

That is why I commute. Layer up head off and take the long way home when no one is looking.

• Upvote 1

What a beautiful day to ride, of course I am working :( 

hope some of you guys got to get out today. 

37 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

What a beautiful day to ride, of course I am working :( hope some of you guys got to get out today. 

Got a chance to enjoy a nice curvy asphalt Z1K ride with the wife & Spyder out to "Boondocks BBQ" in McConnelsville and back home in Hocking Hills. Weather was great and the spring vews into the wood line with the lite green color starting to bud out was  just right. Still have to watch for the winter gravel in corners but the best part was that "Max Power" and his wife "Mid Range" were test riding my Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom the entire day and seemed to enjoy a well sorted bike on a mixture of roads. 100 mile lunch ride.

78, 555, 669, 216, 595, all in great shape

Edited by B-Mac
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Next weekend likely will be snowstorm :( ... and you guessed right I am off and planning to ride 🤣

Just like 2018 / 2019 is starting to be a practical joke from weather gods. Weekdays when you work it’s 70s weekend it starts to have hail storm and rain. 💩

We have had 2 weekends in a row that would have been great for riding. It’s just you were busy. I have the same problem. I was stuck inside a gym the past 2 weekends. I’m guessing you were working. I’m hoping Monday holds up. I have the day off. 

26 minutes ago, durk said:

We have had 2 weekends in a row that would have been great for riding. It’s just you were busy. I have the same problem. I was stuck inside a gym the past 2 weekends. I’m guessing you were working. I’m hoping Monday holds up. I have the day off. 

How’s this coming Wednesday? I am hoping to finish work early and jump out. 

35 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

How’s this coming Wednesday? I am hoping to finish work early and jump out. 

Not good for me. Give it a couple months and I can meet up with you for weekday shenanigans. 

@durk looks like Monday might clear out to be an outstanding day.  I am guessing you be out riding? If I start early 5 or so I can finish by noon and tread back and meet you on your way back. Just let me know your return route. 

19 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

@durk looks like Monday might clear out to be an outstanding day.  I am guessing you be out riding? If I start early 5 or so I can finish by noon and tread back and meet you on your way back. Just let me know your return route. 

You could always stop at Rick Rousch in Medina for the OR dinner  

Edited by Danimal
  • Upvote 1

On 4/15/2019 at 1:20 PM, durk said:

Monday at Midohio??

2 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

If the weather  is good I’ll definitely be out. I’ll let you know my route. I’m waiting to see how early in the morning I’ll be able to leave based on temps.

2 hours ago, jacobhawkins said:

Monday at Midohio??

No MidO until June or later for me. 

I am heading down on the V-Strom to the Hatfield/McCoy next weekend for the "Stolen Pig Rally" http://www.therealmccoytrails.com/stolen-pig-rally-april-2019.html

Sometimes that place gets soooo wet and muddy. I hope it's dry this time then I can bitch about the dust and bugs.

"Big Bike Boogie Time"

43717406390_a199daa4db.jpgCrane Technique by

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2