Random motorcycle thoughts and talk

NinjaDoc

didnt know where to post random riding related stuff, didnt want to make a thread for it each time i am sleepless and/or manic with some ideas. 

Anyways 

I really really reaaaaally wanted to ride this weekend. Was looking forward to that warmish weather and out of the blue they started saying rain. like 60-80% 😠 Any one know any vodoo magic to make it change. The front apparently is heading in starting thursday > moving to friday and saturday , this will bring in the warm weather but the rain as well. Now there is under 10% chance that the shift will be in a way the  that the rain will start saturday evening only. 

Lets ride.. 

"the rain free window" @Jester_  😆

• Beer 1

I don't know any voodoo but I am hoping for the <10% chance shift that pushes the rain to sat since I have to pick up the sportster this weekend and don't want to be riding in the rain with TKC80 twinduros and no front fender. 

• Upvote 1

Looks like no escape,heading extreme south can Save you some rain and nice climate, but still will get soggy when leaving & coming back home. Weather in South east area like Washington and all looks nice, wonder if it’s worth to just trailer the bike there and explore the roads there this weekend and head back. 

3 hours ago, durk said:

So glad I just returned from Florida for this awesome north east Ohio weather. 

Aaaaahaaaa .... I was wondering why weather became crappy all of a sudden from 60+ sunny for whole week to Rain and sleet the weekend . 🤣

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Gixxus Christ! said:

Wondering why anyone expects any good riding days in March. Plan on getting tires and spring checkup done next week and I'll worry about riding after. 

Hope is the word, not expect :) plus global warming ... taking away most good riding days from us with crappy rain, might as well barter and give us some back for winter days. 

44 minutes ago, Gixxus Christ! said:

Wondering why anyone expects any good riding days in March. Plan on getting tires and spring checkup done next week and I'll worry about riding after. 

Sunday was beautiful. I didn't even need any electrics to keep warm. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gixxus Christ! said:

By now I have usually had at least 2-3 decent 3-5hr rides in. Often times I sneak in a short ride in February even. All I have managed so far is 1 ride for about an hour. 

1 hour ago, Pauly said:

Sunday was beautiful. I didn't even need any electrics to keep warm. 

I left last Friday with my family for Florida and returned this morning at 2 AM otherwise I probably would have been out last Sunday. Glad you were able to take advantage of a decent day. 

• Beer 1

39 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

Think investing in decent rain gear and planning to ride through some scattered shower might be a worth while option if 2019 is going to be 2018. Most weekends with freaking rain. 😡

I have a practically new set of FrogToggs in Medium that you can have. I used them once. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pauly said:

I have a practically new set of FrogToggs in Medium that you can have. I used them once. 

Great pauly, I have one too. Rode with it through a down pour once and eventually got soaked. Prolly I made mistake of not covering up collar well I think. :( 

2 hours ago, Danimal said:

I’m changing up things as far as rain gear. 

Last coat I wore was a BMW Rally Pro 2. It used a Goretex LINER. 

So....In a downpour, your whole coat would soak and weigh a ton, but you would be dry. Having to stop, remove coat, zip-in liner etc was also a pain in the ass. 

So....I left the liner at home and took my old Tourmaster Rain Suit to wear over the coat. 

Worked fine until the small stuff bag I strapped to the top of my topcase flew off somewhere in Mexico. Rest of the trip I just got wet. 

FFWD to now. Just picked up on ADV’s flea market a brand new Klim Badlands coat for $400! (Retail over a grand!) in high-vis yellow and black.  The Klim is a bonded Goretex outer layer! As no air easily passes through, ventilation is done through a whole series of vents that zip open. 

And it has an awesome built-in lower back support belt, which will be great. Also carries a hydration bladder. 

Still feel weird setting out with an unproven (to me) system. Am trusting Klim knows what they’re doing. 

Sorry for the hijack. 

No hijack at all dan, useful info plus this is random ride related thread. 

I literally just picked up mesh jacket pant from pony for a song. Plan is to get a goretex pack lite jacket pant (slightly bigger size)  which can be wind Cheater as well to wear on top of this when needed. Will get non moto brand to keep cost low as well as to use when off the bike. 

2 hours ago, Danimal said:

So....In a downpour, your whole coat would soak and weigh a ton, but you would be dry. Having to stop, remove coat, zip-in liner etc was also a pain in the ass. 

So....I left the liner at home and took my old Tourmaster Rain Suit to wear over the coat. 

Worked fine until the small stuff bag I strapped to the top of my topcase flew off somewhere in Mexico. Rest of the trip I just got wet. 

FFWD to now. Just picked up on ADV’s flea market a brand new Klim Badlands coat for $400! (Retail over a grand!) in high-vis yellow and black.  The Klim is a bonded Goretex outer layer! As no air easily passes through, ventilation is done through a whole series of vents that zip open. 

And it has an awesome built-in lower back support belt, which will be great. Also carries a hydration bladder. 

Still feel weird setting out with an unproven (to me) system. Am trusting Klim knows what they’re doing. 

Sorry for the hijack. 

Easily proven, meet me at the nearest DIY car wash, I'll help you test it. 

On 3/30/2019 at 1:42 PM, Danimal said:

Sorry for the hijack. 

Dan:  I did the same last year--picked up a used Klim 2-pc suit from ADVR and sold my AS onsie, also purchased used from ADVR.  I did 5800 miles last spring from Cinti to CA border, meeting up with some friends in Dallas and NM along the way, then back east across southern UT and CO.  Rode thru temps of 108* across west TX and temps of 28* and sleet near Bryce, a couple of frog stranglers in CO and and snow near Cedar Breaks, UT.  Never got wet, was able to keep "relatively" cool in the heat (Hey, 108* is just plain f'n HOT!!!) with the vents open and stayed pretty warm thru the 28* sleet in Bryce NP.  I did carry a thin thermal underlayer with me from UA to put on when temps were below 40.  If your gear is of the same quality as mine, it'll serve you well in a wide range of temps and precipitation conditions.  You should be good to go!

Have a great trip and post lots of pics for us homebodies.

Edited by Bubba
  • Thanks 1