Helmet coms 2019 - noob questions

max power

@2talltim @JustinNck1 @DerekClouser 

Have you guys rode with 3+ folks connected. As in let’s say rider A-B-C-D /

1) does it matter if the chain connection has to be in the proper order of riding? As is let’s say rider a-b is connected, b-c then c-d / if rider b decided to drop all the way back and possible out of range from Rider A , the whole chain gets broken up right? ( what a freaking confusing question to frame :( ) 

2) does the multi connections get disconnected when gap increases or twisty roads etc and fall out of range , and then you have to sort of start over by fiddling with it? 

1 minute ago, NinjaDoc said:

@2talltim @JustinNck1 @DerekClouser 

Have you guys rode with 3+ folks connected. As in let’s say rider A-B-C-D /

1) does it matter if the chain connection has to be in the proper order of riding? As is let’s say rider a-b is connected, b-c then c-d / if rider b decided to drop all the way back and possible out of range from Rider A , the whole chain gets broken up right? ( what a freaking confusing question to frame :( ) 

2) does the multi connections get disconnected when gap increases or twisty roads etc and fall out of range , and then you have to sort of start over by fiddling with it? 

Yes, Nivin, I have tons of experience with big group intercomms.  

Answer is Yes...   and once you break the chain, it can be a pain to reconnect the chain without restarting the whole process.  Using the SENA app helps with group chat as long as the leader knows what he is doing.  If you break the chain, the leader can stop the whole conversation and restart the group convo through the APP and it usually works okay (provided everyone is back within range)   ---- This is why the 30K is much better.  It utilizes a new mesh technology (star topology) where everyone is connected to everyone and if you get disconnected, everyone else remains connected and once the user who got out of range comes back within range, he can autoconnect back into the conversation.   Only downside is that everyone has to have the 30K for this technology to work.   A lot of other communication systems already utilize the mesh technology. ....and my big complaint is trying to connect a SENA 30K to SENA 20S through the old school bluetooth technology because the 20S app won't pick up any 30K's.... 

There may have been a firmware update over the winter to fix this, I haven't checked... 

2 hours ago, max power said:

They do. It’s called a phone call.

I’m assuming these things all work on the same frequency and if so, interconnectivity should be a breeze. I would think that they would have to work to make them not interconnectable. 

“BLUe tooth” connection was the word I forgot. It’s a Bluetooth connection between units. Which has limited range. Our iPhones can do that Bluetooth intercom with a push to talk deal.  Otherwise you’re right, we could just do a group conference call but we’d be dropping calls all the time in the sticks. Which is why I kinda like the citizens band option but again that’s push to talk so it all sucks although they make nice little handle bar buttons you mount near the grip. . 

11 minutes ago, Gump said:

“BLUe tooth” connection was the word I forgot. It’s a Bluetooth connection between units. Which has limited range. Our iPhones can do that Bluetooth intercom with a push to talk deal.  Otherwise you’re right, we could just do a group conference call but we’d be dropping calls all the time in the sticks. Which is why I kinda like the citizens band option but again that’s push to talk so it all sucks although they make nice little handle bar buttons you mount near the grip. . 

See, that’s the crazy part to me.   Even in the 80s we had pocket sized CB radios. You would think that technology would be developed to the point that it was super small and voice activated. 

I might have to hold off until the technology catches up with my expectations.l

25 minutes ago, max power said:

See, that’s the crazy part to me.   Even in the 80s we had pocket sized CB radios. You would think that technology would be developed to the point that it was super small and voice activated. 

I think there are VOX two way radio headsets but I ain’t seen any yet purposely for helmets. It’s have to ignore a lot of noise or we’d tie up the frequency band with garbage. And there’s FMR, GMRS, and then cb bands to think about. I think GMRS is the band your Walmart type  walky talky uses . CB is citizens band. breaker breaker 19, where u at Marlboroman. It’d be cool to have that cb band linked as a box headset if the headset can multi task and play music from your phone et cetera. 

1 hour ago, Gump said:

1 hour ago, max power said:

38 minutes ago, Gump said:

I think there are VOX two way radio headsets but I ain’t seen any yet purposely for helmets. It’s have to ignore a lot of noise or we’d tie up the frequency band with garbage. And there’s FMR, GMRS, and then cb bands to think about. I think GMRS is the band your Walmart type  walky talky uses . CB is citizens band. breaker breaker 19, where u at Marlboroman. It’d be cool to have that cb band linked as a box headset if the headset can multi task and play music from your phone et cetera. 

The Sena has a VOX setting. But I never use it.

50 minutes ago, max power said:

13 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

The Sena has a VOX setting. But I never use it.

Why would u need VOX if you’re on intercom mode? Or do you have to press a button to talk in intercom mode? 

I recently bought a 20s evo and I have to say that once I got the speakers mounted up exactly where I wanted them I love it. I have had a conversation at 70 mph and the person on the other end had no idea that I was even on a ride.

I do still have to get used to work the controls. Also, it is hard to find the phone button with thick winter gloves on but, manageable with practice I'm sure.

Has anyone used the Sena remote that hooks to your grips? I have thought about it but, would hate to waste my money not too mention giving up space on the grips.

6 hours ago, durk said:

He said it works good up to about 60mph, and it won’t link to sena. What about Sena? Is it still clear above 60mph?

My son and I have been way above 60 with no issues communicating. The sound level and quality on the 20s EVO is Comparable to my Autocom wired system.

Edited by whaler
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gump said:

Why would u need VOX if you’re on intercom mode? Or do you have to press a button to talk in intercom mode? 

The intercom can be turned on and off with a button. Or turn on the VOX and it activates with your voice.

25 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

The intercom can be turned on and off with a button. Or turn on the VOX and it activates with your voice.

But do you have to press a button to talk each time or no? (If not in vox mode.)

Edited by Gump

if you are in intercomm mode its always Vox, but you can set it up to be PTT.

I think tim is saying if you are just connecting to one other person you can connect and disconnect to them by the press of a button so you can choose when you want to be heard or not. 

• Thanks 1

I have had Sena 10 and 20's for (10) years and used the simple basic pairing mode. We are going on a (5) day ride with (14) riders with  ten of using Sena's. Been in Florida the last few days and we dialed in the Sena 20 communication systems. What we have found is the simple bluetooth system works easily with two or three people. Using the Sena app with the group intercom works with up to (10) people, with the limitation of a few hundred feet distance like the basic bluetooth. Using the Sena Ride Connected app and cell phones you can have a very large group of riders and the distance is worldwide. After a couple of days of adjusting the settings we were riding at 80 miles an hour with crystal clear communication and we were 50 miles apart. We finally educated ourselves with some of the features of the Sena communication systems.     

• Upvote 2

ummm, you know you can buy a pair of cheap voice activated walkie talkies to use. Clip on belt and ride. Strong batteries and good range too. They were something I considered but never bought.

edit: let me make that a bit clearer. You want walkie talkies that use a head set plugged in, and are voice activated. Cobra units do that, I think many do. Would have to find a headset setup that works well with the helmets.

Edited by ReconRat
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, ReconRat said:

ummm, you know you can buy a pair of cheap voice activated walkie talkies to use. Clip on belt and ride. Strong batteries and good range too. They were something I considered but never bought.

edit: let me make that a bit clearer. You want walkie talkies that use a head set plugged in, and are voice activated. Cobra units do that, I think many do. Would have to find a headset setup that works well with the helmets.

You are correct if you want limited communication. The Sena and other manufacturers include the versatility of listening to music, skipping songs, taking phone calls, increasing and decreasing volume all with your gloves on a helmet device.  

ability to attend call is a big plus, They don’t even realize you are in a bike. 

Max, if your really serious about wanting one. Get the sena 10 dual pack and be done with it. Or one step better 20s. Don’t wait for ever because you only get to use it for few thousand miles a year. Bike related stuff the more you procrastinate the lesser you use. Life is short, “biking life” is even shorter. I promise you once you ride two up with this you will feel like this was the best investment ever. ( depends on your marriage off course :D If your wife is your best  friend ... just go to eBay and search for lowest twin pack price and buy it meow) The used prices I been watching never much came down and were so close to new ones.  Didn’t make sense to get used. 

6 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

ability to attend call is a big plus, They don’t even realize you are in a bike. 

Max, if your really serious about wanting one. Get the sena 10 dual pack and be done with it. Or one step better 20s. Don’t wait for ever because you only get to use it for few thousand miles a year. Bike related stuff the more you procrastinate the lesser you use. Life is short, “biking life” is even shorter. I promise you once you ride two up with this you will feel like this was the best investment ever. ( depends on your marriage off course :D If your wife is your best  friend ... just go to eBay and search for lowest twin pack price and buy it meow) The used prices I been watching never much came down and were so close to new ones.  Didn’t make sense to get used. 

FFS, two weeks ago you blew my phone up asking me all these questions about Sena. And now you are a damn expert?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

FFS, two weeks ago you blew my phone up asking me all these questions about Sena. And now you are a damn expert?

Hahaha I was gathering research material to convince myself to get sena instead of scala, BT communication was never a doubt.  I still remember around 2009 thinking whtr it was worth it to get this So called BT dual pack, honestly it was the best motorcycle related purchase for me since the 2up riding is what I enjoy the most and this made it perfect.  I was thinking if I didn’t buy it 10 yrs ago I would have missed some of the best motorcycle related riding and talks. So just trying to push max to Take the leap of faith. 

Edited by NinjaDoc