Helmet coms 2019 - noob questions

max power

Looking for a set for me and the wife.

What’s everyone’s favorite communication system and why? 

Do you have to use the same ones as your friends or can different brands communicate with each other?

anyone have a good used set for sale?

If basic and simple is what you want the Sena smh10 is hard to beat the duel pack. if your looking for more range, better speaker quality and or more options it's all uphill from there. Setting up comms between brands is possible but can be tricky to set up.

I think the SENA 20S is the go to at this time.  I have the 30K *upgrade from the 20S* but I've heard some people having issues with it, although I have not. 

30K went with an additional second comm technology that isn't daisy chain technology but an additional mesh/star topology (but only works with other 30K users).  

Connecting you and your wife together is rather simple, but can get more difficult as you add more and more people. 

2 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Part of the reason I ride is to avoid people chatting in my ear :dunno:

I get it, and I’ve always been against them, but now that my wife is off work every weekend I want to provide some creature comfort‘s so I can ride as much as I have in the past.  

Plus there are times I need to keep her calm when slamming twisties.

I think I’m talking myself out of this. 

@max power get it, if you been looking forward to riding two up, i am guessing you love the trips with wifey. Communication system makes such trip so much better. To the point i will never ever go back to non BT two up riding mode. So point number one> get it > its worth it get it 

second is the choice>  Scala is a better unit no doubt just by being water proof itself. But as of now the safe bet for OR environment is getting Sena as literally every one has sena. Sena can talk to scala but confusing and questionable as multi member group. And one of these days when all of a sudden every one stops pretending to be ultra manly :D  and wants to have some sort of communication for safety sake it will be worthy it. Again once you start using the comm system in group rides you will never go without it. No body keep chattering in there and talking as if at a bar counter. Only required stuff like warning, potholes, crap on road, clear to overtake etc itself is worth it. Safety profile taken a notch higher than doing stupid hand and leg signal dancing while riding. 

Third> which among sena > i think this will be a one time investment for quite a long time to come. Better bet right in the middle in Sena 20s / or 20s evo almost same. Better speakers and hardware, will do everything commonly needed. Still will have the first time struggle of getting connected with others and maintaining connection while in group ride. This is universal for most system till now. 

the game changer is the mesh network coming up > scala had it dialed down(plus water proof) and better at it with their new model > but unfortunately in this area u have no other scala guys to "mesh with " so no point getting that. The 30 k from sena is very questionable at best at this point. The online reviews and user experience has been so far lukewarm with ton more of complaints than the usual you expect from unhappy users. The prices are chopped down already for 30K> i am thinking they might come out with updated model within next few months. But go ahead and get a sena 20s evo > in ebay you can find new dual pack for 350ish  > thats about 175 per unit which is a pretty good deal all things considered.  

Edited by NinjaDoc
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, max power said:

I get it, and I’ve always been against them, but now that my wife is off work every weekend I want to provide some creature comfort‘s so I can ride as much as I have in the past.  

Plus there are times I need to keep her calm when slamming twisties.

I think I’m talking myself out of this. 

Nothing makes for a good ride like hearing about a whole lot of feelings...lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

@max power 

second is the choice>  Scala is a better unit no doubt just by being water proof itself. 

Ive never kept my Sena out of the rain. Ive ridden through a lot of rain too. Never had a proablems of any of the Sena units ive had not being water proof in tens of thousands of miles. :dunno:

Edited by 2talltim

22 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Ive never kept my Sena out of the rain. Ive ridden through a lot of rain too. Never had a problems of any of the Sena units ive had not being water proof in tens of thousands of miles. :dunno:

what i noticed about sena is the wide variability in user experience. The user exp ranged from people stuff dying after one ride in rain to others chugging along with no issues. Lot of people having some other issues and others having to go through hell and back to get adequate response from sena mothership.  And still many whose sena has worked perfect with no hiccups.

I kind of trust the user exp of folks here in OR who have been nothing but +ive regarding sena user exp and ended up ordering one myself. Will wait and see how lucky i am . I am thinking may be a batch issue or assembly location site issue dont know. 

14 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

Nothing makes for a good ride like hearing about a whole lot of feelings...lol

Yeah, you apparently don’t know my wife.  There will be no discussion of feelings, just slow the fuck down on repeat.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, max power said:

Hey doc, what’s he saying?  :lol:

seriously, this dude talks like he’s on speed.   I need to slow the vid down to follow.  

He's saying " you get what you pay for" and i don't even need to watch the video. 

There seems to be an obvious marketing move with these intercoms to purposely make them only intercom connectable with the same brand. Although that seems to be changing as there’s a Sena that has universal connectivity. They do make two way (cb band) headsets with better range but it’s push to talk and the cb radio needs to be in your pocket or somewhere. Not sure why there’s no app for your iPhone to have intercom capabilities without the annoying push to talk. 

41 minutes ago, Gump said:

Not sure why there’s no app for your iPhone to have intercom capabilities without the annoying push to talk. 

They do. It’s called a phone call.

I’m assuming these things all work on the same frequency and if so, interconnectivity should be a breeze. I would think that they would have to work to make them not interconnectable. 

Edited by max power

52 minutes ago, durk said:

He said it works good up to about 60mph, and it won’t link to sena. What about Sena? Is it still clear above 60mph?

Yes! and 70 , 80 and 90...maybe 100+ so Iv've been told :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

75k miles in Sena headsets, countless downpours, never had a waterproof issue. Smh10, 10u, and now my srl. I've tested it up to 150+mph and still connected to another rider, running much slower. Range is usually about line of sight. Whatever they claim, just disregard it. They're not gonna reach 2 miles unless your daisychaining several together across a group. I had issues with my sena 10u, and started considering scala, but you'll find reviews with people having the same issues as any other brand.