Need a Recommendation for a Shop for an Old Harley

Geeto67

Hey all,

So here's the situation: I have an old 1974 ironhead that runs a Morris Magneto (converted Fairbanks Morse tractor mag). I let the bike sit for a year (I know) and now it has weak spark to the plugs. I'm kind of jammed up at the moment in my single car garage and can't get the time/space to really dig into it. 

I am looking for a shop that id familiar with old ironheads and magnetos and can handle this work. Most HD guys I talk to these days aren't super keen on this old junk and their eyes glaze over when I start to talk to them about it. Tom Reiser's shop is out of business (anybody know where he went?) and nobody is picking up the phone at the Big Bike Shop (and also not opening the door, I went there twice during hours - nobody home). 

I have a feeling it is just the condenser, maybe the coil, but I don't want to just start throwing money at the problem if the magnets are bad. 

thanks in advance. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just to give an update, I was able to get a hold of Mike at the Big Bike Shop. Apparently he is only doing service at the moment and only call after 2:30pm as he isn't around before then. On the plus side he know exactly what was wrong with my magneto and had the parts in stock so I should be riding it this weekend. 

• Upvote 1