.22 conversion, hollow points?

hiro

Is there any reason to think that Mini-Mag hollow points would work any less well than round nose ones? I waiting on a CMMG .22 conversion kit for our AR 5.56.

I'm also curious if anyone has used a "pressure plug" or anything to help hold the bolt in place.

This is pew #3, BTW. Just built it. 16" mid-length. Planning to put a scope on it soon. 

image.png

• Upvote 1

Conversions rarely work flawlessly because that’s not how it was designed to work. Especially true with downsizing caliber. Conversions usually cost close to just buying a new gun in the caliber you want as well so why not go that route and have two instead of one and some parts?

In this case a S&W MP 15/22 

• Upvote 1

I honestly never had any issues with mine but I only shot CCI through it but I agree with the Midget...I picked up the MP 15/22 and sold the conversion a week later and couldn't be happier with that decision.

• Upvote 2

The 15/22 is an excellent gun that functions flawlessly. Great training tool. Excellent for hunting small game and a blast to shoot. Add a suppressor and double the fun and usefulness. 

That gun and the Keltec PMR & CMR 30 are my 3 favorite guns and my go to’s every time. That’s coming from a class 3 dealer with safe full of very cool shit including several full auto’s and I still grab the 15/22 first. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MidgetTodd said:

The 15/22 is an excellent gun that functions flawlessly. Great training tool. Excellent for hunting small game and a blast to shoot. Add a suppressor and double the fun and usefulness. 

That gun and the Keltec PMR & CMR 30 are my 3 favorite guns and my go to’s every time. That’s coming from a class 3 dealer with safe full of very cool shit including several full auto’s and I still grab the 15/22 first. 

Love my pmr 30. Its the grom of pistols.

• Upvote 1

Aww, man...  It was the M&P 15/22 that go me interested in a .22 rifle which led to building the 5.56. I was also considering a Ruger 10-22 down to a Rossi RS22 for $110. The conversion kit cost $169 with 3 mags which doesn't seem that good now, pricewise. (Testing this weekend.) For the price of Mini-Mags, I figure it would take over 1000 rounds for the kit to pay for itself, factoring in 10% failure. heh I also saw a dedicated .22 upper for...the same price as an entire 15/22 so that's out.

Has anyone tried adding pre-load to the buffer spring to help hold the conversion bolt carrier in place better? Some people just replace the buffer spring with a dowel or something. This shows the "pressure plug" slug that slips in front of the buffer weight.

Image result for pressure plug conversion 22

Discussing it with my wife, she thought that being able to switch calibers and shoot longer distance would be cool. She voted for the .223. I think we got a little carried away. Added a 2-7x33 scope. I've never used a scope before, so I don't know if it's the best choice or not. There is an outdoor range where we could shoot up to 250 yards. I'm more concerned with it working at shorter distances though. I know it isn't a CQB optic, but indoor ranges might only be 25 yards. Wife didn't want a zero magnification red dot though. Also changed out the wobbly stock. 

53071398_404946503662834_3535231308399640576_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=bc4a5cbb8fb43dc9454f62c6763eeadf&oe=5D25207E

On 2/27/2019 at 9:50 AM, MidgetTodd said:

Those two Kel-Tecs do seem interesting. 

Yeah, we should have gone with the 15/22. All or most accessories work with other AR's? I know it's lighter, too. Mine is around 7.6# without a mag right now. 

These ones didn't go bang. The conversion kit started good, had some problems, then it got better again. I did change out the trigger and hammer springs with lighter ones. "JP Enterprises AR-15 Enhanced ignition reliability spring kit...mil-spec trigger/hammer components to produce a 4- to 5-lb. pull..." Not sure if that's a problem or not. My wife figured out that we shouldn't rest the mag on the table. At least we got plenty of practice clearing malfunction! 

image.png.908718a1a357c8add125987a29fca4ad.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/24/2019 at 10:02 AM, fox_racing_guy said:

I received my tool from S&W yesterday, if you have a depth gauge you could check it against this.

Nice gauge, and I like the focus in the second photo. Oh, I didn't get the 15-22. I kinda wish I did.

I picked up a Marlin 795 for $125 + tax to replace the conversion kit and to have something lighter, but I don't know yet. Zeroing indoors at 25 yards with a scope and a bipod, it was shooting tighter than the conversion kit. Super heavy trigger though and not a lot of options. I need to see how it does next time outdoors at 50 yards.

It is not an exaggeration to say that it feels like the safety is on when pulling the trigger! My wife said spend $75 more and get a Ruger 10/22. Shoulda listened, I guess, but part of the idea was to have a really cheap 22. Cycles without any issues. We got the scope because my wife likes scopes, but I was leaning towards a red dot. The stock iron sights are cr*p. 

60766759_1288493031327037_2157703110363971584_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_eui2=AeFnGKaJSrDpTyd3WACtmAwyAlRadjbc5PbbtkguRbS66ir_qdpzlfJ_OiIXxneq3cveTSkW_rr0FEEPfjUCRLKcbD-Uuu9KeKOzLCR2SUPCwQ&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=ac2f62b9209a6d971d4086809874763b&oe=5D9B87B9

Edited by hiro