Who knows how European companies work?

Bad324

Long story short been offered a 30 day prabtionary/training that could lead to a full time position for a company (Velmec SRL) that is starting US operations (as Velmec LLC) in March

I only had one 20 minute phone interview with an HR person then got the letter of ok you’re in to do this which struck me as odd for an almost 6 figure job

I can’t tell if this is legit. I can’t tell if it’s too risky because they don’t have established operation in the US. So looking for any assistance if anyone can find out more than I’ve been able to at this point. Been playing phone tag with the guy for 3 days and starting to wonder if it’s purposeful 

11 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

If it sounds too good to be true...........

the salary isn't too good to be true. It's about the standard for the positions I'm looking at currently however it's the ease in which I've gotten in feels too good to be true. I just don't know if that is just how they do things and weed people out through a training/assessment period. It all seems odd but at the same time a lot of what they have told me I've been able to find enough info online to back it up. My next step is calling down to the building they are supposedly going to be moving in to downtown. 

Just now, motocat12 said:

Do you have emails from them you can look at the domain or just comms through a site? Have they given you the local location you could dig for info on?

So that is where this whole suspicion came from in the first place. The website they gave me was started about a month ago which seemed suspicious but at the same time knowing they are just starting US operations also makes sense. 

They did give me the address and possible opening date of their CLE office which checks out as an actual office building with space to rent.

Seems a bit sketchy but could be fine. The probationary period is very common for European companies. My company says 3 or 6 months. I forget. I would definitely recommend doing more research about the company. Maybe try calling the corporate number and ask to speak to HR? Could be a scam to get your social and everything for identity theft. 

If it's a scam, the exact situation is probably posted somewhere online. They reuse what works.

Mid-brexit uk or continental europe?

• Trial employment scam: The applicant is told that they were selected as one of two people to go through a three-week trial period. The name of the company and the website seem legitimate, but they ask you to fill out a contract with personal information including your Social Security number.
  • You get the job right away. After a quick phone or Instant Message interview, the ‘interviewer’ immediately contacts you to offer you the job.
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Casper said:

Seems a bit sketchy but could be fine. The probationary period is very common for European companies. My company says 3 or 6 months. I forget. I would definitely recommend doing more research about the company. Maybe try calling the corporate number and ask to speak to HR? Could be a scam to get your social and everything for identity theft. 

The identity theft was the biggest worry I had. The nice part is they said I don't need to leave my current role as it's only a daily business module that I could complete during the evening. The only thing they have asked me for to this point to start the probation is a signature. Wouldn't need to supply any of the usual personal information until was offered a full time role.

They are HQ out of Italy

6 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

If it's a scam, the exact situation is probably posted somewhere online. They reuse what works.

Mid-brexit uk or continental europe?

• Trial employment scam: The applicant is told that they were selected as one of two people to go through a three-week trial period. The name of the company and the website seem legitimate, but they ask you to fill out a contract with personal information including your Social Security number.
  • You get the job right away. After a quick phone or Instant Message interview, the ‘interviewer’ immediately contacts you to offer you the job.

Sure sounds the same to me. 

2 minutes ago, Bad324 said:

The identity theft was the biggest worry I had. The nice part is they said I don't need to leave my current role as it's only a daily business module that I could complete during the evening. The only thing they have asked me for to this point to start the probation is a signature. Wouldn't need to supply any of the usual personal information until was offered a full time role.

They are HQ out of Italy

Odds are if the company in Italy is real, this US office isn’t. Call the Italian corporate office and ask. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Bad324 said:

The nice part is they said I don't need to leave my current role as it's only a daily business module that I could complete during the evening.

Near 6 figures and only requires this kind of time commitment? Really?

10 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Near 6 figures and only requires this kind of time commitment? Really?

For the training/assessment. Full time role is 45-50 hours a week.

you supposedly get 50% of the salary in that first month regardless if you get offered a full time role. I find that hard to believe which is why I’m trying to get ahold of the guy to tell him give me half up front half when/if I finish 

but yea I’m skeptical as shit which is why I’m trying to solicit as many ideas and opinions to flush this out 

Edited by Bad324

52 minutes ago, Tonik said:

FFS, did anyone Google the parent company? 900K in sales and 8 employees. Corporate HQ looks like a shithole.

he never told us the domain. cold be http://www.velmecsrl.it/

close# they probably both work the same.... 🤔

image.png.93a86699fb4b0e1505b23323afc82228.png

Edited by motocat12

2 hours ago, Tonik said:

FFS, did anyone Google the parent company? 900K in sales and 8 employees. Corporate HQ looks like a shithole.

2 hours ago, Tonik said:

Jesus, all they do is sell and repair overhead lifts and shit. Exactly how is that going international?

This is the kind of info I was trying to find and couldn't find shit. My google skills are pretty bad though for anything below the surface.

2 hours ago, Tonik said:

There is also already Velmec LLC, but they already have Boston offices.

https://velmec.com/contacts.php

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

And the above is registered at Hosting Ukraine LLC, which seems to be a well known registrar for job scammers and was just created in late January.

https://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?name=velmec.com

Velmec SRL is what they are over in Europe, here in the US they are operating under Velmec LLC. According to the dude I have been corresponding with the Boston office isn't even open yet.

When I first googled them that Ukraine things is the very first thing I found which made me super skeptical about it from the get go.  

Still some confusion on this on my end.

Velmec.com is the peeps with the Boston office and that is the Ukraine registered host.

Velmecsrl.it is the crane peeps with 8 employees.

There are two companies in this conversation.

29 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Still some confusion on this on my end.

Velmec.com is the peeps with the Boston office and that is the Ukraine registered host.

Velmecsrl.it is the crane peeps with 8 employees.

There are two companies in this conversation.

So the way it was told to me is that Velmec.com is Velmec LLC which is a subsidiary of Velmec SRL. My guess is they were using to legitimize it themselves

10 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

Also this http://www.valmecitaly.com/1941-2/ wood equipment

weird google hit

image.png.a4beaf01959375d07381b0c130398dad.png

Interesting. I found a lot about Valmac companies but finding Velmec has been quite a bit harder

Edited by Bad324