OR Bluetooth communication choice

NinjaDoc

BT device   

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which device you own?

• Sena
    • Scala
    • Something else

Which device you own? I started using them long back during which time Scala was the go to (don’t know if it was the only one) But it’s close to a decade old now and starting to show its age  at times. I been seeing only sena with majority of OR folks. I used to like sena because of bang for buck factor, but these days prices are comparable but Scala offers waterproof while sena still sucks in this area. But still the whole point of having communicator is to talk with others. (Tonik 😊) newer ones can be interconnected with other brands still crappy. Just wondering what device the majority carry. The next generations ones are already here which sort of has this “self healing mesh” networking. No more standing by and clicking marathon, they literally automatically connect within range (tonik 🤣

Edited by NinjaDoc

On my 3rd Sena. The first SMH10 was absolutely bullet proof. It just worked and worked well. My second was the 10U for the Neotec biggest pos ever. Had 2 of them die on me totally and two hadbattery issues, wouldnt last as long as advertised. Also wasn't a fan of the clip on handle bar remote that took up a lot of space on the grip. Buttons were small a awkward. I  now have the SRL integrated for my Neotec2. I love it so far with zero issues. Battery has been great speaker sound great and no remote. They went back to a 3 button design it keep it stupid simple. I takes a little bit to learn the button functions but the basic stuff is single tap. Only thing I wish it would have is to be able to charge it while using it for those super long days like we had out west last summer but Sena says they do that for safety reasons. Sena customer service is a little less to be desired too. Mike from RD had to take care of most of my issues with my 10U because Sena drag their feet.

Their product design is awsome. Product quality middle of the road. And unless it's changed in the last 15 month customer service needed work.

EDIT: Also my first SRL came D.O.A too but a quick exchange it has been great

Edited by 2talltim
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I own a Sena 10R but have not been impressed. The App crashes everytime I try to connect to the device and it took a couple days on the last trip before we were able to figure out the correct button sequence to connect a 3-way intercom. Even then only 1 of the 3 of us knew how to do it and he wasn't really sure what he was doing.

Based on reviews and my current limited experience I would probably get a Scala next time. 

• Upvote 1

Sena 

Have been a hold out for many years... my previous communication was Autocom, which I had a chunk of change invested. Of course it still had wires, but the sound level, quality, and distance were second to none, it’s nice being able to communicate 10 miles apart with a 4 watt radio! Since switching over to the Sena, wish I had done it sooner. Quaility and volume are great, no wires, and the phone/navigation integration works great.

• Upvote 1

SMH10A, the one that plugs into a BELL helmet. Worked with my old phone, but the old Android phone wasn't up to taking many voice commands over bluetooth. Still had to push buttons. Did not get the model that has an mp3 input jack wired in, but have read that the input jack breaks and fails way too easy.

New Android phone doesn't seem to have voice command problems. I installed the matching helmet speakers. Did not see the problems with volume that I had read about. Loud enough I'm using earbuds for mp3 player with them when I want to. I suspect might not hear well at higher freeway speeds, but nothing ever did. Have not tried bluetooth to my TomTom navigation yet. Navigation apps on the phone seem to be usable over bluetooth. Have not tried bike to bike pairing.

edit: Battery charge probably not good enough for long rides and trips. Plan on having USB charging available on your bike.

Edited by ReconRat
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DerekClouser said:

Recommend the 30K.

I was looking into it, but some cons I found so far from lot of users are no waterproof, damaged in rain, connecting with non 30k Senas like 20s etc problems with statics. It seems like Sena pushed out 30k fast to compete with the scala. Almost like a beta product. A better version of the 30K I am expecting soon. 

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, flashesbuck said:

What could i use to hand to someone in a chase car? Anything? Would the app on the phone allow them to talk/hear without a headset?

my sena smh10 blue toothed to my iphone. With siri I could call or voice text while riding and it was great