Who are the OR.net Mid-Ohio instructors?

Pauly

4 hours ago, MidgetTodd said:

I’m not currently but I did coach Novice on and off for 2 seasons. I’m still a part time track medic there. Probably coach some when new bike comes in. What did you need to know? 

Isaac isn’t 18 yet though is he? Mid O doesn’t allow under 18. Some of the the other orgs do but Mid O doesn’t. Current insurance will not cover minors. 

Isaac is 19. 

2 hours ago, blue03636 said:

Just an FYI that was nesba as we talked about this when I took Lyns out in novice with motoseries at Pitt. Not looking to change your mind just letting you know that N2 is not the same.

Thanks, Craig. I would have bet dollars this was N2. There is even a thread on this board about that day. I trust your judgement on this, so I will reconsider my position. 

1 minute ago, Pauly said:

Isaac is 19. 

Thanks, Craig. I would have bet dollars this was N2. There is even a thread on this board about that day. I trust your judgement on this, so I will reconsider my position. 

I think a few of us will be going to Pitt this May if we can get the time. I haven't run with N2 before but I can't give Tim shit for refusing to ride Mid-O if I never go to Pitt/Summit/Wherever. Come out and observe how things are run now? 

19 he’s good to go then. When track opens back up for season I’ll see if we’re doing promo certs again, if so I’ll get one to you. Bill and Brian occasionally hand out a couple discount certs an couple free ones for us to give to people that haven’t done a PTR day yet

• Upvote 1

Mid-O would be a great place to start as a new rider. They are structured the entire day now and teach a lot. 

I've only been to Pitt (N2) once i think three years ago. It was still just the small track. But N2 novice was wide open. There were no groups, the CRs would help people if they asked but it was still not structured. Passing was allowed on straights. There was only one morning class and one after lunch. They briefly covered body positioning, apex, braking, etc.

I rather enjoyed it cause I had been to Nelsons and Mid-O for a couple years. But if it was my first time on the track, i would have been terrified. My first couple track days were at Nelsons with Motoseries. The very first day i crashed during the open afternoon sessions. I rode off the track at T4 and went down in the grass. I was fine but defiantly riding above my ability. I couldn't imagine if they just let us all go in the morning. 

I've been trying to get back to Pitt for awhile now but my shoulder injury sidelined me all last year and my vacation is already screwing up May this year. 

Edited by ludwb675

1 hour ago, what said:

I think a few of us will be going to Pitt this May if we can get the time. I haven't run with N2 before but I can't give Tim shit for refusing to ride Mid-O if I never go to Pitt/Summit/Wherever. Come out and observe how things are run now? 

You'll see what I'm talking about as you expand the amount of tracks under your belt.

52 minutes ago, ludwb675 said:

Mid-O would be a great place to start as a new rider. They are structured the entire day now and teach a lot. 

I've only been to Pitt (N2) once i think three years ago. It was still just the small track. But N2 novice was wide open. There were no groups, the CRs would help people if they asked but it was still not structured. Passing was allowed on straights. There was only one morning class and one after lunch. They briefly covered body positioning, apex, braking, etc.

I rather enjoyed it cause I had been to Nelsons and Mid-O for a couple years. But if it was my first time on the track, i would have been terrified. My first couple track days were at Nelsons with Motoseries. The very first day i crashed during the open afternoon sessions. I rode off the track at T4 and went down in the grass. I was fine but defiantly riding above my ability. I couldn't imagine if they just let us all go in the morning. 

I've been trying to get back to Pitt for awhile now but my shoulder injury sidelined me all last year and my vacation is already screwing up May this year. 

Maybe I owe it to myself to do a novice day at mid o. My first track experience was with n2 at pitt and I was not crazy about being passed, especially by people who weren't following the rules and passing me on the inside at the apex. 

31 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

You'll see what I'm talking about as you expand the amount of tracks under your belt.

A track is a track. I like the layout of Mid-O a lot, the only gripe I have is with the surface being slick in the cold/damp. With that said, I like Road America and Laguna's layout a lot as well. Summit I'm less fond of but I'd like to try it out. I have no doubt that I'll have fun at Pitt but it's too far and expensive for me to make the trip often. My focus this year will mainly be on racing anyway, it's more fun for me right now than just running laps. 

1 hour ago, what said:

A track is a track. I like the layout of Mid-O a lot, the only gripe I have is with the surface being slick in the cold/damp. With that said, I like Road America and Laguna's layout a lot as well. Summit I'm less fond of but I'd like to try it out. I have no doubt that I'll have fun at Pitt but it's too far and expensive for me to make the trip often. My focus this year will mainly be on racing anyway, it's more fun for me right now than just running laps. 

I like the layout of Mid O as well. Surface is my only gripe (although the facilities could use updating as well.) But considering the track surface is so important to have right at any given track, it's not worth my money or time right now to give it to a facility that doesn't care about bikes.

You'd like Summit main I think. That start/finish straight is fun on a literbike. Some nice WOT and some heavy braking at that track. It's a great time. Shenny, I'd say don't even make the trip if it's just for that, especially on a 1k. I rode it this past year on a 1k and it was not fun at all (it was also like 45 degrees outside). Road America is on my list, a couple buddies went last year and said it was phenomenal. Laguna is on my bucketlist as well.

For a while I was "just running laps", however I hit a wall eventually. Now I go out every session with a purpose and 1 or 2 specific things to work on. It's improved my riding significantly. I'm still not blazing fast compared to a lot of guys I ride with (I'm the slowest out of our typical track day crew) but I'll be damned if my lines are bad and I'm inconsistent. 

5 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I like the layout of Mid O as well. Surface is my only gripe (although the facilities could use updating as well.) But considering the track surface is so important to have right at any given track, it's not worth my money or time right now to give it to a facility that doesn't care about bikes.

You'd like Summit main I think. That start/finish straight is fun on a literbike. Some nice WOT and some heavy braking at that track. It's a great time. Shenny, I'd say don't even make the trip if it's just for that, especially on a 1k. I rode it this past year on a 1k and it was not fun at all (it was also like 45 degrees outside). Road America is on my list, a couple buddies went last year and said it was phenomenal. Laguna is on my bucketlist as well.

For a while I was "just running laps", however I hit a wall eventually. Now I go out every session with a purpose and 1 or 2 specific things to work on. It's improved my riding significantly. I'm still not blazing fast compared to a lot of guys I ride with (I'm the slowest out of our typical track day crew) but I'll be damned if my lines are bad and I'm inconsistent. 

I've run summit a good bit on iracing, it's ok. 

Always go into a track day with a goal or set of goals in mind to work on. Turning laps helps with those goals and is good practice, but I'm finding the challenge of putting those things into practice against other people with something on the line. Yeah, you can go out during a track day and push hard with people like you're racing but it's kind of a stupid thing to do. Racing can get dicy and some things that fly while racing could get you kicked off the track by most track orgs. I'm not advocating being unsafe, I'm just saying there's a pretty big difference between challenging yourself and being challenged by others. Light competition at a track day is fine but I wouldn't want bring the same mindset I have during a race onto the track with 30 random people on it. 

On 9/2/2014 at 11:45 AM, blue03636 said:

It is up to the passing rider to maintain the 6' all the way around the bike.

That said, regardless of who's fault it was, this doesn't look good on N2. 

Found the posts. It was a N2 track day. 

Also found a pic of the rear that passed tech. This little piggy went for a helicopter ride. 

imageproxy.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Pauly said:

Also found a pic of the rear that passed tech. This little piggy went for a helicopter ride. 

imageproxy.jpeg

I can’t believe that passed tech. I wouldn’t ride that on the street let alone the track. 

Tech has definitely gotten stiffer. They scrutinized the fuck out of my bike and wouldn't let me on without taping my wheel weights and zip typing the pigtail for my battery tender. That tire belongs in the trash, fuck whoever let that on the track. 

1 hour ago, Pauly said:

imageproxy.jpeg

You were right, I thought she was there the year before she came to motoseries but it was the same year. Brain fart. That was the transition year from nesba to n2. They cleaned house, that shit won't fly now. Also look up lean trackdays at Nelson. It's Sam that ran the novice for motoseries.

Edited by blue03636
  • Beer 2

4 hours ago, ludwb675 said:

Isaac will be riding with a school that offers a very structured novice class for his first few track days. He is too green for an "open session" novice track day. This post sums up my reasoning. Thank you. 

5 minutes ago, blue03636 said:

You were right, I thought she was there the year before she came to motoseries but it was the same year. Brain fart. That was the transition year from nesba to n2. They cleaned house, that shit won't fly now. Also look up lean trackdays at Nelson. It's Sam that ran the novice for motoseries.

I spoke with Tim and he said the same thing about N2 cleaning up their act. I appreciate the heads up with regards to Lean. I will check them out, as well. 

• Beer 1

For the record, this entire thread was never intended to become a "N2 Bash-a-thon". I appreciate everyone that has commented and the information they have brought to the table. I just feel that Isaac's skillset needs a little more personalized attention than they have to offer in their novice track sessions. 

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, Pauly said:

Isaac will be riding with a school that offers a very structured novice class for his first few track days. He is too green for an "open session" novice track day. This post sums up my reasoning. Thank you. 

I spoke with Tim and he said the same thing about N2 cleaning up their act. I appreciate the heads up with regards to Lean. I will check them out, as well. 

I believe Mike (from Mid-O) will be teaching Novice with Lean this year at Nelson when they are not running the Endurance Racing this year. Check the schedule at www.leantd.com. I have been under his teaching several times with Lean and he is quite good. Besides, it's a close track to home and it's pretty good to learn on with the new surface. I highly recommend Lean for a first track day for Isaac. Just my experience.  Sam is a pretty good guy and can answer any questions prior to going.

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 2