Hyper pro shocks. Anyone used them?

Gixxus Christ!

Upgrading the suspenders on the zook this winter. Hard to find a good off the shelf shock for this bike. Found this brit company with a distributor in Jersey. Quoted me around 1100 for fully adjustable shock with remote preload. Anyone rode one? I had never heard of hyper pro before. 

Off the shelf generally only equals marginally better than oem. Are you certain you’re out riding your current suspension? Personally if so, Id start with front suspension over rear and at 1100 I’d be looking at Ohleins or Penske. Also I’d suggest looking into a GSXR suspension swap over dumping that kind of cash  

By off the shelf I mean not a $2k custom build. The only other shocks anyone else stocks are designed for smaller bikes but will fit mine. 

Front is fine. Rear shock is garbage. Common complaint on these bikes. 

Gsxr shock swap requires machining links to retain ride height. 

You suck at directions. 

1 hour ago, Gixxus Christ! said:

Gsxr shock swap requires machining links to retain ride height. 

Um isn’t that what you do? And if not it would still be less than 1100 and yield all that you need if you’re truly out riding the stock capabilities. 

Not slamming you by any means, just asking because I’ve seen several guys on those running I and A in stock form. 

Thats why I’m asking about out riding it and what it’s doing that makes you feel an 1100 shock is needed? Try to help you sort it before dumping that cash and seeing no improvement in your performance. 

1 hour ago, MidgetTodd said:

Um isn’t that what you do? And if not it would still be less than 1100 and yield all that you need if you’re truly out riding the stock capabilities. 

Not slamming you by any means, just asking because I’ve seen several guys on those running I and A in stock form. 

Thats why I’m asking about out riding it and what it’s doing that makes you feel an 1100 shock is needed? Try to help you sort it before dumping that cash and seeing no improvement in your performance. 

Rear is under sprung and under damped, at least for a fat boy like me. Also only adjustable for rebound and preload. Feels like a pogo stick on undulating surfaces. With the preload cranked in enough to make the compression feel ok, it blows straight through the rebound damping on the return, at least that's what it feels like. 

And I'm not a machinist, at least not working as one anymore. I've been in QA for like 3.5 years. This shop does not allow employees to make their own shit on company equipemt anyway. 

$1100 is with remote preload adjuster. $810 without, plus shipping I imagine. 

Edited by Gixxus Christ!

3 minutes ago, jacobhawkins said:

Ohlins STX46 for $875.  Just saying...  Doesn't have a remote reservoir, but is adjustable.

I’d go this route or GSXR rear personally. 

Both cheaper options with proven results. 

Before either of those though I’d check 3 things. Chain tension, looser is better. Tire pressure, lower is better. And your body position. Get your weight over the front not on the rear. Then there’s less fat boy on rear. Most of your weight should be over the tank. 

Not saying the suspension isn’t the problem, just saying those three things almost always are the real problem when street riders get a taste of the track then start pushing themselves and paying attention to what the bike is doing. 

Going to a Q3 or 4 tire will help too 

8 hours ago, Gixxus Christ! said:

Anyone rode one? I had never heard of hyper pro before. 

I currently have a Hyper pro 461custom $1300 built to my needs rear shock and I also had a custom $1200 Wilbers 629 rear shock on my 04 Strom. Naturally with proper front spring/fluid and emulators. Klaus Huenecke at EPM is a master and will help you thru the process. I haven't upgraded my Z1000 other that spring at both ends and fluid change since I mostly ride it with my wife on her Spyder and that could be handled with a hard tail.

Klaus also gives you one free rebuilt during the life of the shock.  YMMV

http://epmperf.com/

1 hour ago, B-Mac said:

I currently have a Hyper pro 461custom $1300 built to my needs rear shock and I also had a custom $1200 Wilbers 629 rear shock on my 04 Strom. Naturally with proper front spring/fluid and emulators. Klaus Huenecke at EPM is a master and will help you thru the process. I haven't upgraded my Z1000 other that spring at both ends and fluid change since I mostly ride it with my wife on her Spyder and that could be handled with a hard tail.

Klaus also gives you one free rebuilt during the life of the shock.  YMMV

http://epmperf.com/

I emailed klaus yesterday for a quote and he got right back to me. Mentioned the free rebuild in his email, along with 5 yr warranty. Sounds like a great package for the price. I may drop some springs in my forks later once I get the rear sorted out. So you're pretty happy with the ride and build quality? 

I have had, Progressive, Ohlins and some may remember S&W street stokers all twin shocks and I feel Hyper Pro & Wilbers are top shelf build quality and with the add on up grade features to allow easy fine tuning. I am happy with my money spent. Again this is just an opinion of a old fart and I am sure anything you upgrade to will be just fine. Good luck, I hope you are happy with what ever you decide.

B.

• Beer 1