OMRL 2019 Season

what

Starting a seasonal mini racing thread because everybody hates us and we should stay in our hole.

Here's our hole. 

Also, looking like a pretty large grid this year with a lot of cool stuff happening with the organization, along with some possible new classes. @MidgetTodd time to bust out the grom/Z and blow us all up. 

Thanks @DerekClouser for the pretty graphic.  Great background image, that guy must be really cool.

R1 5/4/19 CRP ccw 
R2 5/19/19 CRP cw
R3 6/2/19 Circleville Raceway Park ccw
R4 6/15 & 6/16/19 G&J Kartway
R5 6/29 & 6/30/19 PIRC
R6 7/27/19 G&J Kartway (daytime practice with a full racing schedule at night... starting at 9pm for racing)

R7 7/28/19 G&J Kartway (the normal race schedule)
R8 8/10 & 8/11/19 Adkins Raceway 
R9 9/8/19 Circleville Raceway Park cw
R10 9/21 & 9/22/19 G&J Kartway
R11 10/6/19 Circleville Raceway Park ccw

The 7/27 & 7/28/19 G&J round 6 is a double header weekend... so if you plan on chasing the points you'll want to race both days... we'll be racing under the lights Saturday night 😁

For the PIRC round... the Saturday 6/29/19 is still being worked on... at the moment it's looking like we'll have motorcycle only practice from 4-8pm

https://omrlmoto.com/

received_293313004701153.jpeg

Edited by jacobhawkins

As always, I have an extreme desire to let other people run the absolute hell out of my XR.  You new to the track or racing?  My bike is 100% yours for the stock moto class.  I'll still race it in F3 and maybe supermoto so I won't be missing out on my fun, come on out folks, it's a hoot!

3 hours ago, jacobhawkins said:

As always, I have an extreme desire to let other people run the absolute hell out of my XR.  You new to the track or racing?  My bike is 100% yours for the stock moto class.  I'll still race it in F3 and maybe supermoto so I won't be missing out on my fun, come on out folks, it's a hoot!

Even better yet, I'm looking at picking up a spare bike at some point in the near future so there will likely be a bike just waiting for someone to hop on to and race the F outta it. 

23 minutes ago, Connie14 said:

What's a good budget number for getting the bike and gear needed for OMRL?

I got my 1999 XR ready to race for $950 three years ago.  The newer CRFs are better (fresher engines mostly I think) but I am competitive on mine.  

I'd look to spend close to $1300-1800 for a newer CRF set up ready to go.  They are posted up for sale on the OMRL Facebook page pretty regularly. 

Gear is a set of leathers, boots, gauntlet gloves, back protector, Snell rated helmet.  An Aerostitch or other real good textile gear has been acceptable for your first race.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Connie14 said:

What's a good budget number for getting the bike and gear needed for OMRL?

You could spend $200 on gear or $2000. My first set of gear was $140 eBay leathers, and clearance boots/gloves. I already had a helmet. Current suit cost me $650 used...

a set up stock xr100 tends to be $1300ish.  It’s easy to find really clean bikes for more, and not all that hard to find older ones for less. 

• Upvote 1

Wear gear you don't care about smashing up. Your brand new $1000 carbon race helmet might not be the best choice for minis if you care about having to replace it. My leathers went from a hard bumpy texture to a nice supple tanned-hide texture on the outside, thanks to lots of abrasive track surface treatments. :D

I've got my new bell star for street/track and my old one for mini races. 

Edited by what

Yes, honestly don't wear a 3000$ airbag suit because your incredibly likely to go down a few times your first couple weekends as you acclimate to the bike (if you are trying to push yourself to learn).  

Find a nice suit for cheap and bring it!  Hell, Jacob was wearing a suit held together by duct tape at one point because he didn't want to wear his brand new suit for OMRL. 

Also I wear a Shoei GT Air which isn't Snell approved and no-one has said a thing.  Pretty much as long as you are taking the steps to protect yourself, no-one will really say anything.  Just remember, crashing still hurts if you aren't wearing the right gear whether it's legal or not!

• Haha 1

Looking at the classes, the ttr110  fits a class.   Can I put street tires on one of our ttr110s and try a race day? (or is that bike only for kids?)  I have a 1 piece textile firstgear suit.  Would this be suitable for a first time race day? If I like it, I can buy a leather suit and another bike. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Connie14 said:

Looking at the classes, the ttr110  fits a class.   Can I put street tires on one of our ttr110s and try a race day? (or is that bike only for kids?)  I have a 1 piece textile firstgear suit.  Would this be suitable for a first time race day? If I like it, I can buy a leather suit and another bike. 

Not sure on textile but there were 1 or 2 ttr110s last year in stock moto. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Connie14 said:

If you want to race a TTR 110, you can race a TTR110.  Throw some street tires on it and come out.  You'll also want to at the very minimum safety wire the oil drain bolt/fill cap and remove the kickstand. 

Depending on what is done to the bike will determine which class you can run it in.  

StockMoto and F3 are the classes you'd likely run.  

Here are the stockmoto rules in regards to TTR110

image.png.47fa11868b3d61c1f8937e1f7e90aaff.png

If the bike isn't setup to the above rules, you can race it in F3.  

Textile is fine for your first race, but just a reminder that if you crash, it could end your weekend if the suit doesn't hold up.    Watched @what crash in a 2 piece speed & strength leather suit and the zipper completely destroyed and ended his weekend.  Just figured I'd throw that out there.   We are really lenient on a lot of things and everyone will go out of there way to ensure you can race and be safe.  Just keep general safety items in mind and you won't have a problem. 

Also if not having the bike is the issue, a lot of guys will let you run their CRF's on practice day to test it out and if you really want to go all out I'm sure someone will have a rental bike you could rent for like $60 for the weekend. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Connie14 said:

As derek said, throw some street tires on it, BT45s are what most folks use, and run what ya brung.

• Upvote 1

On 1/25/2019 at 10:32 AM, DerekClouser said:

If you want to race a TTR 110, you can race a TTR110.  Throw some street tires on it and come out.  You'll also want to at the very minimum safety wire the oil drain bolt/fill cap and remove the kickstand. 

Depending on what is done to the bike will determine which class you can run it in.  

StockMoto and F3 are the classes you'd likely run.  

Here are the stockmoto rules in regards to TTR110

image.png.47fa11868b3d61c1f8937e1f7e90aaff.png

If the bike isn't setup to the above rules, you can race it in F3.  

Textile is fine for your first race, but just a reminder that if you crash, it could end your weekend if the suit doesn't hold up.    Watched @what crash in a 2 piece speed & strength leather suit and the zipper completely destroyed and ended his weekend.  Just figured I'd throw that out there.   We are really lenient on a lot of things and everyone will go out of there way to ensure you can race and be safe.  Just keep general safety items in mind and you won't have a problem. 

Also if not having the bike is the issue, a lot of guys will let you run their CRF's on practice day to test it out and if you really want to go all out I'm sure someone will have a rental bike you could rent for like $60 for the weekend. 

Joe Rocket, not speed and strength. I don't buy that trash!

(joe rocket is trash)