Pauly's got a brand "new" bag...

Pauly

...and it isn't Italian. So, in classic @NinjaDoc fashion, here goes the guessing game.

First clue: It has zero electrical doodads to assist the pilot. 

( @Tonik & @Tpoppa are excluded from playing)

I will answer one question per post. Each guess counts as one point. Three points results in a 24-hour time out; where you have to sit and think about your actions and how they affect those around you.

Winner gets a lunch date with me at any Chipotle of your choosing.

Let the games begin. 

Edited by Pauly

• 1950 Norton Manx
  • 1940 Indian Chief
  • 1937 Triumph Speed Twin
  • 1923 BMW R32
  • 2002 Harley-Davidson VRSCA (V Rod)
  • 1987 Honda CBR600F.
  • 2009 Yamaha R1
  • Harley-Davidson FXDR 114
  • Indian FTR 1200
  • Kawasaki Z900RS
  • BMW G310GS
  • 2019 Honda Monkey
  • Suzuki SV650X
  • Ubco 2x2
  • Yamaha YZF-R3
  • Royal Enfield Continental GT
  • Can Am Ryker
Edited by Bad324
  • Beer 3

6 minutes ago, Bad324 said:
  • 1950 Norton Manx
  • 1940 Indian Chief
  • 1937 Triumph Speed Twin
  • 1923 BMW R32
  • 2002 Harley-Davidson VRSCA (V Rod)
  • 1987 Honda CBR600F.
  • 2009 Yamaha R1
  • Harley-Davidson FXDR 114
  • Indian FTR 1200
  • Kawasaki Z900RS
  • BMW G310GS
  • 2019 Honda Monkey
  • Suzuki SV650X
  • Ubco 2x2
  • Yamaha YZF-R3
  • Royal Enfield Continental GT
  • Can Am Ryker

@Bad324 has been slapped with a 24 hour posting restriction for non-compliance. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, MidgetTodd said:

FZ6 huh. Interesting, why did you choose that? Seems a downgrade from your previous rides in both power and handling. 

I am adapting a simplier lifestyle for the time being. This Yammie makes about 95 hp at the crank. The Multistrada made 95 and the Supersport made 80. Not much of a downgrade, really. Power will just be above 8k rpm, instead of on the floor. The valve service intervals are 26k miles, versus 6k. No body work. No expanding fuel tanks. No broken mirrors every other ride. No timing belts. No nonsense. Just a middleweight carver with rock-solid reliability. 

Four-pot monoblock calipers tied to braided hoses are strong enough for street duty. I don't brake that often, anyway. A quick handlebar swap will get me close to Multi ergos, too. I like that riding position and want to get near there. 

I don't need more engine to go fast. I do need suspension, though. I already have that sorted and budgeted. It will be fast enough when I am finished with the build. 

8 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I think it would have better handling than the multi or the ST. Power, not sure.

The Multistrada has a $1700 shock and $2500 forks. The ST has the same shock, albeit less travel, and fully adjustable Showa forks. The FZ6 comes with non-adjustable suspension, save for rear preload. The forks have zero clickers annywhere. Its suspension is garbage for anything more than mild street riding. 

That 2008 Multistrada is the best handling street bike I have ever ridden. @dpgasser can vouch for its handling prowess. I am hoping to get the FZ6 close enough to that to keep me entertained. 

• Upvote 2

Well that makes sense then put that way. I’ve never looked much into the 6. 

I bought that brand new FZ09 and got rid of it after only 2 months and a handful of rides. Hated absolutely everything about it but the motor. The motor and power delivery were awesome. Suspension, handling, ergos, brakes all sucked. Rode it with Tpoppa and a few others at a slower than our normal pace and still had a hell of a time keeping a good line. Took it to the Gap and made 2 passes and parked it and rode the Grom the rest of the weekend and listed it for sale on the drive home lol. Hated that fucking bike. Which sucked because I wanted to love it but it was going to be 3k or better to fix those items. 

Hope the 6 is much better to you 

10 minutes ago, MidgetTodd said:

Rode it with Tpoppa and a few others at a slower than our normal pace and still had a hell of a time keeping a good line.

I remember that ride.  That garbage suspension kept pushing you off your line.  That would kill my confidence.

I think they improved the FZ09 suspension in 2016 or 2017, better but still not great.  It would be cool if Yamaha would make an "R" version, like the Street Triple.

22 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

I remember that ride.  That garbage suspension kept pushing you off your line.  That would kill my confidence.

I think they improved the FZ09 suspension in 2016 or 2017, better but still not great.  It would be cool if Yamaha would make an "R" version, like the Street Triple.

I kinda wonder if the MT10 suspension would work on the MT09. The stock KYB on the MT10 seems decent. I've heard the MT09 is an amazing bike once the suspension gets sorted out. 

43 minutes ago, what said:

Racetech is for posers. 

38 minutes ago, MidgetTodd said:

Well that makes sense then put that way. I’ve never looked much into the 6. 

I bought that brand new FZ09 and got rid of it after only 2 months and a handful of rides. Hated absolutely everything about it but the motor. The motor and power delivery were awesome. Suspension, handling, ergos, brakes all sucked. Rode it with Tpoppa and a few others at a slower than our normal pace and still had a hell of a time keeping a good line. Took it to the Gap and made 2 passes and parked it and rode the Grom the rest of the weekend and listed it for sale on the drive home lol. Hated that fucking bike. Which sucked because I wanted to love it but it was going to be 3k or better to fix those items. 

Hope the 6 is much better to you 

I owned a 2004 before I sold it for the Multistrada. I enjoyed the engine once I stopped lugging it. Too much time on v-twins, I suppose. 

16 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

I've been putting a lot of effort into simplifying life.  Some things and some people had to go. 

No regrets.   

Glad you are doing well, Tony. I hope to see you soon.