Tritium Pro sights

hiro

Anyone use these sights? I just ordered a set for my SR9c. The rear sight on the SR9c just doesn't work for us. Plus, the TruGlo rear sight enables one-handed slide racking and who doesn't like some radioactivity? I was going to try a fiber optic front sight and just black out the rear dots, but I figure the TruGlo sights might be better for a defensive carry gun?

Image result for tritium pro sr9

Found this photo in a review. 

49661465_369206393893814_5471084166625886208_n.png?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=a8a932bcf62e3613c38ac2c45257f390&oe=5CBD891A

Hopefully not off the topic enough to qualify as a thread-jack...

Anyone have a reco for a reasonably priced laser sight for a G17 (Gen3) and/or G23 (Gen4)?  I've never shot using a laser sight and wondered how effective they are for night home defense?  How reliable (long lived?) are they over time?  Does it make more/less sense to go with a laser sight vs the Tritium or Tru-glo?

6 minutes ago, Bubba said:

Anyone have a reco for a reasonably priced laser sight for a G17 (Gen3) and/or G23 (Gen4)?  I've never shot using a laser sight and wondered how effective they are for night home defense?  How reliable (long lived?) are they over time?  Does it make more/less sense to go with a laser sight vs the Tritium or Tru-glo?

I would say lasers arent for markmanship like accuracy, however in a home defense situation I'm sure you arent looking for headshots, you are just trying to get rounds on target in a short amount of time and I believe a "sited in" laser would aid in getting you pointed in the right direction.

Me personally, I'd probably go for one of those tactical lights that are bright as fuck and have strobe options. The intruder wont be able to see shit let alone fire accurately, all while your taking aim. If you are dead set on a laser they make light/laser combo's I'm sure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, motocat12 said:

you used to be able to get acc rail lasers for $10 off ebay to try how you like it. too big for holsters is the downside.

Noted.  Won't be on my carry piece.  This would be for the Glock in the night stand next to the bed.

16 hours ago, Bubba said:

TruGlo is just the brand. Tritium is the radioactive stuff that glows.

My wife did this using the built-in laser on our Shield M2.0. A laser will not help it total darkness, of course, but in some light and given enough time to activate the laser, it will definitely help with quick shots. The built-in laser has a strobe and steady mode and didn't add much to the price. Maybe $20 more retail.

image.png.18a9d2d03da9587eb719dc6e0b199877.png

20 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

I had TruGlo's on my G19. They were pretty bright. Idea behind it was night time home defense.

Why would you black out the rear sights?

In daylight, a dark rear sight and a bright front sight is supposed to be quicker to put on target. Here's an example. Probably just Sharpie'ed rear dots. From what I've read, competition shooters like that arrangement. It also automatically places more emphasis on the front sight which everyone preaches.

Related image

My problem is, the narrow rear slot and the small dots fuzz out. The white fuzz of the dots make the inner edges disappear. I can still see the outer edges, but elevation is hard to judge because only the inner part is adjusted for elevation. The stock front sight is great, but maybe less so in a low-light defensive situation. 

My wife was shooting the SR9c high and she admitted not noticing the rear sight during aiming. When she made a point to find the rear sight, the shots came down. I'm not sure if blacking out the rear sight or maybe going with more visible rear sight would be better for her. I know she liked the front fiber optic in the shop and so I was considering full fiber optics. But we need to keep in mind that this is a defensive carry pistol. (Time for a range pew!)

Image result for sr9c sights

I fount that I aim better using the large 3 dots on the Shield M2.0. At the same time, my focus ends up shifting between the front and rear sights, which isn't ideal, I guess. I'm not willing to test if blacking out the rear dots will help in that case. Maybe I just need good glasses!

Image result for shield M2.0 sights

Edited by hiro

7 hours ago, Bubba said:

Noted.  Won't be on my carry piece.  This would be for the Glock in the night stand next to the bed.

How about just having a flash light in your other hand? That would illuminate your sights and your target and allow you to scan a room without sweeping it with the gun. Could also have a light, laser, or combo on the gun itself. One person used a scope mount to clamp a regular flash light onto the rail. 

That new rear sight! I can rack the slide off the edge of my pocket on my jeans! I had to file the front edge a little because it tended to catch on my hands as I let the slide snap forward. Less so with with the pew turned 90 degrees. Seems good now. Cleaner, more defined rear sight image and a nice glow in low light. The front sight glow is larger and brighter, and the white ring stands out as well as the original sight.