Shoop Buys a Thumper

Shoop

6 hours ago, Pauly said:

I need a dual sport. 

I’m having more fun with that XR650L than I thought possible.  I’m 12 again whenever I ride that thing and I’m not risking a reckless op every time I ride it like on the street bike.  

• Beer 1

22 hours ago, max power said:

I’m having more fun with that XR650L than I thought possible.  I’m 12 again whenever I ride that thing and I’m not risking a reckless op every time I ride it like on the street bike.  

You need a bike you can tour on. So many roads and so little time. 

On 1/1/2019 at 9:10 PM, Shoop said:

It's all my neighbor's fault. He wanted somebody to ride with on gravel roads and trails so he nagged me about it. Well, maybe twice. 

Then he found a good deal on this mostly street legal bike that's just the right color. Thankfully I have long legs - this bike is tall!

image.png.c5613639ef335283680569f41755273c.png

I had to put DOT tires on it, a license plate bracket w light, and mirrors - but it already had the rest of the required parts and was titled as a street vehicle. 

Next I just need to sort out a carb problem. The bike sat unused for 2 years. I think whichever jet handles the mid-range throttle position is messed up. 

And then the fun part will be remembering my dirt bike skills. It's been 40 years since I owned a dirt bike, 75 Yamaha DT400b. This one is a much more capable bike!

Chris

I sold my 2004 back in 2011. Great purchase Chris. For ADV and Desert work it could use a 6th gear but Yamaha would loose sales of the extremely popular wr250. I changed gearing and was able to run with the Honda 650 on the fast Desert roads out west. It can be a beast in the Ohio single track woods for old farts. There is a gray wire mod you may want to do and also the standard carb stuff. For great information check out: https://thumpertalk.com/forums/forum/12-wr400f426f450f/ 

YES to the WR450's

46548234172_ca1884b4e3.jpg04WR450 by

Um, hello, I’m right here. 

The reason I’m considering an ST is to get my Wife to ride more with me now that her employment situation has changed and we actually get to spend time together.  She’s not comfortable on the FZ1.  Also we have friends that like to do weekend rides down into Kentucky and West Virginia and such with their wives. 

Edited by max power

3 hours ago, max power said:

Um, hello, I’m right here. 

The reason I’m considering an ST is to get my Wife to ride more with me now that her employment situation has changed and we actually get to spend time together.  She’s not comfortable on the FZ1.  Also we have friends that like to do weekend rides down into Kentucky and West Virginia and such with their wives. 

Geezer

Sorry to interrupt the comedy (love it). But I’m looking for suggestions on next fix attempt.

Disassembled and cleaned the carb (scary lots of fiddly little parts. Found the pilot jet was partially blocked. Ended up drilling it out. Yes, I tried lots of other things first. Will order a new one tomorrow. So, reassembled it and had to change idle screw pretty far but got it to smooth out. But on the test ride it still misses badly when transitioning from low throttle to higher throttle. But goes ok if I bog it then give nearly full throttle. Also, the bike stumbles/misses if going constant 45 or 60. Seems to want to be on full throttle or off. 

Forgot to check the jet needle setting. That wasn’t in the YouTube instructions for a cleaning. 🤣  If it’s the jet needle it need to go richer, right?

Won’t be able to adjust anything until you replace the jet you drilled.  Id be surprised if it’s not flooding right now on the pilot circuit   

The best I can suggest is reading as much as possible about that particular carb.  

I would find out the stock settings, set to them and adjust from there, if you determine the jets are all stock  

Any idea what brand and model carb you are dealing with?

Thanks Max.

It's the stock Keihin FCR 39 mm. 

I'll just order a full set of of jets and check the needle settings when I'm in there to replace the jets.

If/when you get your FJR you should check out the MSTA events (Motorcycle Sport Touring Assoc). There are a lot of spouses riding or on their own bikes. Mostly older guys that used to be fast - or think they were. 

The most local event is the week of Aug 19 (Mon-Sun) in Marietta. Usually have about 100 bikes show up. The larger national meeting is in Bristol VA this year the week of June 23-26 (Mon-Thurs). This event draws 200 bikes, sometimes 400. The Bristol event should be very well attended. 

Here's a link to their ride events. I think you need to be a member to post but you should be able to read the pages.

http://www.ridemsta.com/mstaforums/index.php?board=13.0

Chris

Edited by Shoop
  • Upvote 1

On 1/6/2019 at 11:43 PM, Shoop said:

Thanks Max.

It's the stock Keihin FCR 39 mm. 

I'll just order a full set of of jets and check the needle settings when I'm in there to replace the jets.

If/when you get your FJR you should check out the MSTA events (Motorcycle Sport Touring Assoc). There are a lot of spouses riding or on their own bikes. Mostly older guys that used to be fast - or think they were. 

The most local event is the week of Aug 19 (Mon-Sun) in Marietta. Usually have about 100 bikes show up. The larger national meeting is in Bristol VA this year the week of June 23-26 (Mon-Thurs). This event draws 200 bikes, sometimes 400. The Bristol event should be very well attended. 

Here's a link to their ride events. I think you need to be a member to post but you should be able to read the pages.

http://www.ridemsta.com/mstaforums/index.php?board=13.0

Chris

+1 for MSTA (yes, I'm a member)  They also usually have some Dual Sport rides at the events, 

Edited by Qman
  • Upvote 1