Hatfield McCoy trip?

max power

Since the gap trip is looking like it’s going to be a bust, would anyone be interested in doing a Midsummer Hatfield McCoy trip?

I’ve never been so does anyone have any advice on where to ride, where to stay,  things to do etc.?

I personally have been on sport quads to Rockhouse and Bear Wallow I believe we’re the names of the 2 trail heads. Rockhouse I believe was the bigger system and well it was rocky as all get out. Bear Wallow was not as rocky, but both are rough on your machine. I recommend going over all suspension, bearings etc. Plan to inspect everything again when you get back as well. I personally ride my quad similar to my bike I like to ride fast, so you may minimize wear and tear by slowing down if you like.

Rockhouse is based in Man,WV there were quite a few places to stay. I did not plan this trip at all, the guy that did got us 2 houses/trailers essentially and I think there were around 20 of us or so.

Bear Wallow didn’t seem to have as many options. There were only 4 of us and we stayed at a campground with cabins that were not accessible by road vehicles. We had a good time there, it was kind of cool to be out away from everybody. This was probably close to 8 years ago, so I’m sure a lot has changed. When we were there last you could tell the trails we’re bringing in money and things seemed to be growing around the trailheads. We always went at the end of April or first of May I believe. 

Edited by durk
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, durk said:

I personally have been on sport quads to Rockhouse and Bear Wallow I believe we’re the names of the 2 trail heads. Rockhouse I believe was the bigger system and well it was rocky as all get out. Bear Wallow was not as rocky, but both are rough on your machine. I recommend going over all suspension, bearings etc. Plan to inspect everything again when you get back as well. I personally ride my quad similar to my bike I like to ride fast, so you may minimize wear and tear by slowing down if you like.

Rockhouse is based in Man,WV there were quite a few places to stay. I did not plan this trip at all, the guy that did got us 2 houses/trailers essentially and I think there were around 20 of us or so.

Bear Wallow didn’t seem to have as many options. There were only 4 of us and we stayed at a campground with cabins that were not accessible by road vehicles. We had a good time there, it was kind of cool to be out away from everybody. This was probably close to 8 years ago, so I’m sure a lot has changed. When we were there last you could tell the trails we’re bringing in money and things seemed to be growing around the trailheads. We always went at the end of April or first of May I believe. 

Thank man.  Interested in going?

1 hour ago, max power said:

Thank man.  Interested in going?

I might go. I could probably could get at least 1 more guy if not 2-3.  When you thinking of going? How many days? Which trailhead are you thinking?

No idea at this point. Just have a couple bubbys interested in going this summer and figured I’d toss up a thread to see if anyone else wanted to go and get some info.  I’m thinking spring at this point, but nothing is currently set in stone. 

1 of my buddies actually text me today and we now have tentative plans to head down the Thursday before Memorial Day. We are planning to ride Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. We may make the drive home Sunday after riding or leave Monday morning. It looks like we are going to try out the Devil Anse trailhead. If that sounds like a plan you’d like to get in on let me know. 2 of us would be on sport quads and 2 in sport utvs. 

I've been wanting to ride the Hatfield/McCoy trails on my 350RR-S.  Not sure what kind of a rider I am - I can get around pretty much everything at Wayne and the mild hill climbs at Perry (can do the far left gravel cliff path and waterfall when it hasn't rained for a few days).  Also had a blast finishing the Grassman family enduro but had to tap out of Flint Ridge's DS after 10 miles of exhaustion.  If that's close to y'alls skills, I wouldn't mind joining.

Edited by smccrory
  • Upvote 1

Hatfield McCoy has trails of different skill levels.  I have ridden at Buffalo Mountain that has a lot of kick ass single track,  and it was great. 

I have also ridden at Pocahontas to Pinnacle with a bunch of 4 wheelers.   It was not as difficult as Buffalo Mountain.  It had very little single track, and it had some great views.   I was riding with a broken wrist in a splint, so this was just what the doctor ordered (lol). 

Both were very enjoyable, but in different ways.  There is some beautiful riding for all levels of riding.

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/5/2019 at 7:14 PM, smccrory said:

I've been wanting to ride the Hatfield/McCoy trails on my 350RR-S.  Not sure what kind of a rider I am - I can get around pretty much everything at Wayne and the mild hill climbs at Perry (can do the far left gravel cliff path and waterfall when it hasn't rained for a few days).  Also had a blast finishing the Grassman family enduro but had to tap out of Flint Ridge's DS after 10 miles of exhaustion.  If that's close to y'alls skills, I wouldn't mind joining.

If you plan on 2 wheels there you need to do your research and choose the right trail systems. Many just aren’t 2 wheel friendly terrain. Group rides there have more to do with matching machines not matching skill levels with the group. Riding there is much different than Wayne and Perry. But in a good way