Hardtail vs Full Suspension

ludwb675

I know it all comes down to personal preference. But i'm torn between which direction to go. 

I was pretty much set on a Roscoe 8 but found a 2016 Trek Fuel EX 8 for $1,000. 

Looks pretty clean. Would probably change up to a 1X setup but could easily with the money saved. 

Thoughts?

horses for courses.

What are your typical ride lengths and how many rocks/roots? Are your legs strong enough to ride out of the saddle to soak the bumps most of the time?

I've had full susp for 20 years and wouldn't consider a hard tail as my only bike compared to an upper end dual susp. 

3 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

horses for courses.

What are your typical ride lengths and how many rocks/roots? Are your legs strong enough to ride out of the saddle to soak the bumps most of the time?

I've had full susp for 20 years and wouldn't consider a hard tail as my only bike compared to an upper end dual susp. 

Just getting started into mtn biking. bought an old 26" to start and really like it. But that bike is really heavy and a tad too small. 

Last year i did mostly shorter rides, roughly an hour. Mostly at royalview which has lots of roots and some rocks. In which i rode out of the saddle for most of. 

I'd like to travel to more places this year. 

If you can afford it and don't mind the extra maintence modern full suspension bikes are better pretty much every where. 

That said I ride a Spec Fuse (similar to the Roscoe) and it does everything I want it to do on local trails. 

Riding off road the biggest thing I would suggest is get out of the seat. That is true for full sus or hard tail. The full does make it easier to ride up rough trails in the saddle but going down its always better to be standing an allow the bike to move under you.

Also play with tire pressures. It probably works better with a lower pressure than you expect. Especially for plus bikes. I've ended up at 12psi front and 18 rear on my 3" High Rollers. The stock Ground Controls required a couple more psi. A good low pressure gauge helped to dial in the best pressure.

• Upvote 1

You wont go wrong with either assuming they are in good shape. Make sure you get the right size. That said some people prefer the quicker handling and lighter weight of a slightly smaller frame while others prefer a little more comfort and relaxed handling of a slightly larger frame. I'm between a L and XL and prefer an XL, but riding a rented L has not felt wrong either.