Tonik

2019 Gap Trip.

1 hour ago, B-Mac said:

Not mandatory but if there has been a recent rain event you can run into sections that failed to drain off and can be slick. No deep mud bogs or deep rutted jeep trails. Water crossings are not bad when water level is low/calm. They can be by-passed easily. The Cherokee Challenge route is fun and not to difficult. Just slow and pick your line maintain pace for balance and don't over work your street suspension and ground clearance will not be an issue. Also I have connected some of the Smoky Mountain 5oo to depart Fontana down to Murphy and return to Fontana on forest roads or asphalt if the happy hour horn is blowing back at camp.

If anyone wants to rent a DR650 or 400 or anything check with Dan. https://gsmmotorent.com/

I rented a DR650 for a few days and had a blast screwing with the big bikes in our group.

This is what can be expcted.

1. video is the Cherokee route parts of this will be used on my loop.

https://youtu.be/neR1SzHibnk

2. Video is parts of the SM500 also used

https://youtu.be/sfxI4PRIo5o

https://youtu.be/4sCJZVNJ6F8

In. My Wing has traction control.

I’m liking the MotoZ Tractionator GPS tires. A lot like the Mitas E-07’s, but a bit harder and more durable. 

Still considered a 50/50 but rail pavement pretty well

0037E837-1BA6-467A-95F7-5759A255D6F5.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Danimal said:

I’m liking the MotoZ Tractionator GPS tires. A lot like the Mitas E-07’s, but a bit harder and more durable. 

Still considered a 50/50 but rail pavement pretty well

You are not railing shit standing up on asphalt like a European Poofter. What, are you trying to make the front cover of Adv Moto? Can I get a signed copy for my garage art?

Enjoy your trip and stay safe friend.

10 minutes ago, Danimal said:

2 hours ago, B-Mac said:

You are not railing shit standing up on asphalt like a European Poofter. What, are you trying to make the front cover of Adv Moto? Can I get a signed copy for my garage art?

Enjoy your trip and stay safe friend.

Nope, just bored going 20mph behind a pack of Harleys. And flipping off Killboy

and that’s some funny shit about you slowing down and running more street-biased tires. 

That’ll last until the first time up Stone Quarry after a heavy rain. 

Can’t wait to get back on the road

@B-Mac @Danimal is there even a 70-30 80-20 tire as in more in favor of on road and less off road for just occasional light off road use? 

17 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

@B-Mac @Danimal is there even a 70-30 80-20 tire as in more in favor of on road and less off road for just occasional light off road use? 

I’m sure there’s tires sold with any fucking ratio you can come up with Doc

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

I am not sure what bike you are even riding this month so I will guess it's primary street orientated.😉

Your rim size will most likely limit your choice. The 90/10 tires are surprising well suited to gravel and dry two track off asphalt roads. I ran the Standard Metzler Tourance tire on my 04 VS for 8 years in sand, mud, desert and loved them. The Bridgestone Battle Wings are my 90/10 choice now and I have chased Jschaf & Durk around the curvature of SE Ohio asphalt with no Issues. Pirelli Scorpion also makes a good 90/10. If you feel more off road capabilities are needed then I recommend a additional bike is a must. More aggressive off road tire will bring your speed and confidence level up off road but then you will be limited by suspension and ground clearance. On asphalt the 50/50 tires and to some extent the 80/20's I have tried "fall in" quickly on asphalt corners and may require a adjustment to your style. The Metzlers and Bridgestone are very forgiving and provide solid feedback when pushed to there on asphalt.  Good luck in your quest.👴

(YMMV)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

I'm not gonna tell you anything you prolly don't already know, but the Shinko 705s are pretty much 80:20 and they can be railed just as hard as your skills and lean angle will allow.  Not good in anything more technical than 2-track dirt or gravel and useless in mud.  The 804/805s are more aggressive and prolly a better choice if you actually want to do both on/off-road.  Surprisingly capable in the twisties but don't expect great life out of 'em.  Even more capable are the Dunlop D606s but more of a 50:50 tire and not appropriate for the large heavy DS bikes.

• Upvote 1

Great, once the stock ones are done I might try those. I don’t plan to be riding aggressive on road any more and want to occasionally try to go through fire roads and light off roads just to get to a spot for good pics etc. Not yet ready for full on off road more yet. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

Great, once the stock ones are done I might try those. 

You will sell it and get something else before it needs tires.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Tonik said:

You will sell it and get something else before it needs tires.

Nah, all these years  it was the love for motorcycling and wanting to try different types of engines and curiosity about machines that made me keep looking for different one. This time just got this one to remain part of the community and almost feels like a midlife crisis purchase  like most HD folks do. I likely will only have 3-4k miles and still on stock tires next year.  :)  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

Nah, all these years  it was the love for motorcycling and wanting to try different types of engines and curiosity about machines that made me keep looking for different one. This time just got this one to remain part of the community and almost feels like a midlife crisis purchase  like most HD folks do. I likely will only have 3-4k miles and still on stock tires next year.  :)  

At least you have a nice machine sitting there ready for your escape if even around the block. I sometimes come home, hop on the bike and ride a 5 mile loop, hop off and get busy on chores.  Just get out when you can.  

What tires came on it stock?

Well, I’m out...torn meniscus in my knee and I’ll be having surgery on June 5th. 😞

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

Well, I’m out...torn meniscus in my knee and I’ll be having surgery on June 5th. 😞

Pussy 

10 hours ago, Steve Butters said:

Pussy 

Yep, you are either there, or you are a pussy.

What's wrong with pussy?