Leaving my company after 13 years.

Tpoppa

7 minutes ago, Gixxus Christ! said:

I negotiated myself 2 weeks of vacation starting day one. 

All about what you bring to the table and how good you are at bargaining. 

Ehh to an extent. Sometimes you gotta pick and choose your battles. I negotiated salary and once I got the number I wanted I didn't have a bunch of room to negotiate time off. I did get double what the starting was but it was still far from what I had from my last company.

I got the wage I asked for too, should have asked for more. I was also not in a position that I needed the job, and they needed me, so that gave me some leverage. Site director tried to get me to hire in half way thru the first interview. I strung em along for a few weeks before I committed. 

I enjoy negotiating.

I actually got another $4k AFTER I accepted the offer, because they only partially explained something to me.

I told them I would have negotiated harder if I had all the info, it actually wasn't that big a deal.  They asked if some more money would make up for it :)

• Beer 2

2 hours ago, Gixxus Christ! said:

I negotiated myself 2 weeks of vacation starting day one. 

All about what you bring to the table and how good you are at bargaining. 

Don't think he had anything to barter with. Totally different field and profession. No experience in the trade or field or even type of job. He's starting from ground zero with nothing to bring but his work ethic. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Don't think he had anything to barter with. Totally different field and profession. No experience in the trade or field or even type of job. He's starting from ground zero with nothing to bring but his work ethic. 

Ah, well it looks like he did ok.

3 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

I enjoy negotiating.

I actually got another $4k AFTER I accepted the offer, because they only partially explained something to me.

I told them I would have negotiated harder if I had all the info, it actually wasn't that big a deal.  They asked if some more money would make up for it :)

On my change this spring I screwed up during negotiations.

They offered, I countered at +13k.

While they pondered that I did some more math and said to myself shit...that 13k isn't enough to cover my old health care bennies and the retirement kickback.

They came back at +10k over their original offer so 3k below my counter.

I declined, and said my original counter of +13k was also now void and I needed +18k.

Took them three days to get over that bombshell but they said yes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 2talltim said:

If you are getting a raise when moving jobs heck ask for un paid time off. Or say FYI I've already booked/paid for plane tickets on MM DD-DD

6 hours ago, motocat12 said:

If you are getting a raise when moving jobs heck ask for un paid time off. Or say FYI I've already booked/paid for plane tickets on MM DD-DD

Most factory jobs or industrial type facilities will tell you to go pound sand. They have their policies  and will usually not deviate.  Specially if it's a union shop. but yea it never hurts to ask some times. 

Edited by 2talltim

39 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Most factory jobs or industrial type facilities will tell you to go pound sand. They have their policies  and will usually not deviate.  Specially if it's a union shop. but yea it never hurts to ask some times. 

Yea, the guys that work back in my machine shop don't have a ton of room for negotiating anything.

If we ever get universal health care, there will be a mass exodus from crappy retail and factory jobs. Too many folks are bound to jobs they dislike (but offer health care coverage) because they can't afford ACA policies.

I'm nearing the end of my job as a high school teacher, and feel for all those stuck paying several thousand dollars per month to cover spouses and kids. Medicare will only cost me about $200/month!

• Beer 1

58 minutes ago, SpecialEd said:

If we ever get universal health care, there will be a mass exodus from crappy retail and factory jobs. Too many folks are bound to jobs they dislike (but offer health care coverage) because they can't afford ACA policies.

I'm nearing the end of my job as a high school teacher, and feel for all those stuck paying several thousand dollars per month to cover spouses and kids. Medicare will only cost me about $200/month!

Retail often doesn't offer any benefits, they like to assign people exactly enough hours to keep them as part-time just for that reason. 

My wife works full time at a hospital for Ohio Health and it's sad that my manufacturing job offers a better health plan than they offer her. Not saying theirs is terrible but enough for us to keep us on mine and not hers. Just think that's kind of sad. Health care is their thing and they can't offer premium coverage to their own employees.

• Upvote 1