Leaving my company after 13 years.

Tpoppa

I've been at a company where a corporate takeover ran the company promptly in the ground. I got out just over a year ago. I found out a couple weeks ago, all my old coworkers are losing their jobs after Christmas. Sad for them, but I was relieved I got out when I did.

11 hours ago, theroamr said:

I think I mentioned my mom worked for your current company. She couldn’t wait to retire. She also says it was soul crushing

I remember you saying that.

Last year they offered a "Voluntary Early Retirement Plan" to employees over 55 with at least 15 years of service.  It said voluntary enough times to make an age discrimination law suit difficult.  Everyone I spoke to said the message seemed more like leave now because you're no longer wanted here.  It was a corporate tactic to get rid of people that have been here long enough to make a decent living.

Over 70% of them took the offer, which was around 3,000 people.  Many of those were our "go to" people and subject matter experts.  They've been replaced with entry level people, most overseas.  It's pretty much been a shit show. 

I feel like I'm jumping off a sinking ship.

• Upvote 1

Life is way too short to work a job you don't like. 

After working 39 years I found my dream job, and am leaving my current workplace this coming March 3rd after only 18 months. Great pay and benefits where I am now but, as you say, it's pretty much a shit show also--no satisfaction and no fun at all.

Congrats to you, Tony, for being true to yourself.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tony, I'm certain many of us would enjoy hearing the details about how that day unfolded for you. Please give us a synopsis. Virtually all of us have, at some point, dreamed about doing what you did! My turn comes in February . . . 

Merry Christmas to all.

• Upvote 1

On 12/14/2018 at 8:57 AM, Tpoppa said:

I remember you saying that.

Last year they offered a "Voluntary Early Retirement Plan" to employees over 55 with at least 15 years of service.  It said voluntary enough times to make an age discrimination law suit difficult.  Everyone I spoke to said the message seemed more like leave now because you're no longer wanted here.  It was a corporate tactic to get rid of people that have been here long enough to make a decent living.

Over 70% of them took the offer, which was around 3,000 people.  Many of those were our "go to" people and subject matter experts.  They've been replaced with entry level people, most overseas.  It's pretty much been a shit show. 

I feel like I'm jumping off a sinking ship.

Good for you then.  I’ve never understood why a company runs off the people that they have invested the most in who have the most experience.  How does that ever make sense?

Automotive is taking a hit. GM is closing a few plants and Ford is laying off thousands of saleried positions. Automotive suppliers will feel the pain soon, I know some already do. 

Personally, I do my job and watch my budget - just in case. I am always looking in other industries.

Edited by snot

I made a similar move back in March. Left an aerospace company that was circling the drain to work at a tool and die company that makes the machines that make cans. Crazy busy shop making tons of money. They've bought a couple million dollar machines since I hired in, with more on the way, and are leasing more and more of the building we occupy to make room for expanding operations. 

Nice to see machines being delivered instead of watching them be put on trucks and sent to Mexico. 

Congrats on the move, hope it works out long term. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Gixxus Christ! said:

I made a similar move back in March. Left an aerospace company that was circling the drain to work at a tool and die company that makes the machines that make cans. Crazy busy shop making tons of money. They've bought a couple million dollar machines since I hired in, with more on the way, and are leasing more and more of the building we occupy to make room for expanding operations. 

Nice to see machines being delivered instead of watching them be put on trucks and sent to Mexico. 

Congrats on the move, hope it works out long term. 

We just got this sweet 5 axis machine in!

1 hour ago, JustinNck1 said:

This must be the time of the year. I am leaving my Marketing job at the end of the week. I was only there 13 months, I couldn't imagine leaving a company after 13 years. 

Really?! What didn't you like about it?

41 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

Bikes needs to be a hobby not a profession for me. Going to a job with substantial pay increase, 4 days a week instead of 6, full benefits vs none, etc. 

Agree, 100%. I did the whole "motorcycle lifestyle career" and it didn't work out. I found you actually miss out on most good days of riding. Plus, most Ducati owners are insufferable cunts to deal with. 

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 1