Back Protectors

Limitedslip7

The girlfriend asked what I wanted for Christmas and one of the things I've been wanting is a new back protector. Been looking at the Forcefield Pro Sub 4 or the Pro L2 Evo... then I was thinking maybe the EX-K Harness Flight might be a good idea since it's got the built in chest protector too... then I saw the Flight+ with the additional shoulder protection that might be good for shoulder/collarbone protection... then I figured I probably wouldn't be able to fit much more than just the back protector into my suit with my ever expanding waistline and the harness might be hot(ter) in the summer. There's not a lot of room in there as it is.

What are your experiences/preferences with back protectors? Think the chest and/or shoulder protection is worth it? My current one is an old Knox that I got for free with my used suit and it's getting pretty haggard. 

I have an A*'s back protector. I like the idea of a chest protector but I plan on going to an air vest or an airbag suit in the future. Neither will replace a back protector but could replace the need for chest/neck/protection from a system like you mentioned. However, the air vest didn't save @blue03636's collar bone at Mid Ohio in 2016. Probably one of the more broken bones in our sport and I don't see CE armor really saving that break. I'm not an engineer but in my mind air (vest or suit) has a better chance of saving a collar bone than CE armor. But that's coming from the logic of CE armor is harder than "air". So take that for what you will.

None of the options are going to get your internal temps down :).

The vest will save you the potential issue of fitting inside your suit as it goes on the outside.

I have a Forcefield protector like the Pro L2, its a couple years old, so may not be the exact model.  Looks the same though.  I love it, pretty comfy, I know it works when I've been run over mini racing.  After my collarbone this year, aside from dialing it back a bit, I will be headed for an air vest in addition to my Forcefield.  I don't want to try to cram more stuff inside the suit than I already have.  All the big guys are going for the air bag stuff, and the vests seem to be pretty good.

Is the chest protector worth it?  Not until you need it!  If you can fit it in your suit, why not?  I wouldn't worry about the heat, 20 minute big bike sessions and 15 minute races.  I doubt you'd notice much of a difference.  If you were taking it touring, something more to think about.  The cost of good protection is nothing when compared to even a minor injury.  I could have picked up any Dianese suit, the best boots and gloves, and had money to party with what I spend on this damn collarbone.

I currently wear the Pro L2 Evo. No complaints with it at all but i also haven't tested its protection properties yet. Fits good under my leathers and stays mostly in place. I have to push it down while putting the suit on but i think that is the same with most back protectors. 

Before that i had the A* track vest. I liked it better in terms of fit and staying in place but did not fit under my new leathers (went from 2-piece to 1-piece). It was also much warmer compared to just the back protector even in 20 minute sessions.