Noobie from Marion

bakly

Hey all. Just finished my MSF class last weekend. Currently debating on trying to find an old/cheap craigslist bike to practice on when winter coughs up a nice day; or just wait til next spring and get a new bike. I'm a 6'5" skinny dude so I didn't really fit on the little 250's at the class. Don't really want to wait but finances dictate that :) Was happy to get into one of the last classes offered for this year. My instructor told me to check out the forums here. Any tips or ideas for a new guy would be more than welcome!

Craigslist bike ---> probably doesn't matter much what kind other than street legal, runs, and isn't super tiny. A little wary because I don't know a lot about what bikes are known for being reliable and such. Also unsure as to what bikes I will or will not fit on haha. I've sat on and feel comfortable on the ones I mention below:

New bike (next year hopefully) ---> Think I want a sporty cruiser like the Kawasaki Vulcan S or a more classic looking Indian Scout/Sixty. Also like some standards and naked bikes I've seen and I hear that ADV bikes fit us tall people well - just not enamored with the style. Although I do mountain bike some and would like to go off road some - that's just not my primary purpose for wanting a motorcycle.

Anyway, just checking in and saying hi really! Can't wait to get rolling :)

Welcome, I'm also located in Marion. There is a small group of us here that race 100s and ride Mid O frequently during the summer months if you are ever interested in trying it out. I don't ride on the street much anymore... 

Where do you mountain bike? Alum Creek or Mohican I'm assuming? 

2 hours ago, Limitedslip7 said:

Welcome, I'm also located in Marion. There is a small group of us here that race 100s and ride Mid O frequently during the summer months if you are ever interested in trying it out. I don't ride on the street much anymore... 

Where do you mountain bike? Alum Creek or Mohican I'm assuming? 

Cool! Yeah Alum Creek mostly. Did Mohican once and I know I'm not built for neverending uphills :) I don't know if I'll ever be a racer but my instructor told me to look into a track day with a trainer if I wanted to get really good at riding.

thanks everyone for the welcomes :)

Sat on a few bikes today. The Vulcan S and Indian Scout are still my favs so far. Sat on an FZ09 and though it probably fits my size it just seemed too big? I'm pretty sure its too powerful as well. Still probably gonna get a craigslist bike first.