Casting shotgun slugs

redkow97

Most of you are aware that i’m Cheap. The cost of shotgun slugs has caught me a little off guard.

i can get it down to $.68/round (shipping kills the saving) by buying in bulk online, but for $50 in casting supplies, i can buy target loads, melt the shot into a slug, and re-load it into the target shell for $.25/round

it looks pretty simple, if a little tedious. 

My mother used to make me bring home my brown paper lunch bags so they could be used again. 

Her father had 30 lbs of frozen fish that he had caught and filet’d in his freezer.  For a couple of decades. We threw it out when he moved. 

The cheapness gene runs strong. 

12 hours ago, redkow97 said:

My mother used to make me bring home my brown paper lunch bags so they could be used again. 

Lunch box?  It's literally a reusable lunch carrying device.

My step dad used to expect us to wash and reuse paper plates.  I thought it was stupid & refused (coincidentally, he's a very stupid man).   I used to ask him if he was aware that they make reusable plates.

Making smart money choices is a good thing, but when it gets too extreme I've seen it get very similar to hoarding.

I was too cool for a lunch box in high school. Would fold up the bag and hide it in my pocket. 

$.50/slug savings seems like a pretty significant margin though. Casting supplies would pay for themselves in about 100 shells. 

Plus it’s useful to have if slugs ever become scarce.