2nd gun out of these?

hiro

Out of these, which would you choose to concealed carry? (I'm looking to have either a grip safety OR a thumb safety.)

9mm:
Springfield XD-S
Springfield XD-S Mod.2
M&P Shield
M&P Shield M2.0

.380:
Ruger LC380
M&P Shield EZ

The ease of racking the slide is of some concern. 

For reference, we liked the Sig P238 .380 for shootability and size, but not for features and price. The Shield EZ for shootability, but I think it's a little big and for some reason it didn't fire the last round, but I'd still consider it if the wife really likes it. Hated the Glock 42's trigger, grip angle, and slide release which would rub against my hand. The LCP II had very harsh recoil and would only shoot in an emergency!

Never shot an XD-S, but it seems interesting and I like the design of the grip safety. Also like having the mag release on both sides. And, until the end of the year, there is a deal to get 3 extra mags and a range bag for free.

We tried a larger M&P 9mm, one with a huge thumb safety on it, which I didn't like. I think I'm more accurate with the larger M&P than my SR9c. (Still not sighted in, but closer.) I'm a little concerned about the small thumb safety on the M&P Shield, but I'd still want it as an option...I think. The safety on the LC380 is probably more of what I would want.

Edited by hiro

35 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

9mm Shield either version hands down. If those are the only options.

I know in advance that I'd want to add rubber grip tape to the Shield to increase grip and to the Shield M2.0 to decrease abrasiveness, which is fine.

I wonder about actually using the thumb safety though. Under low stress and without gloves it seems OK. (Could just leave it off, but I don't trust the concept of a half-cocked striker being shoved into a holster without some extra safety. One reason I wouldn't consider a Glock.)

Image result for M&P shield safety

I hate it when I do this. haha I would consider adding to the search parameters double-action pistols without an extra safety.  Like a Sig P250 which I can't find. Or DA/SA with a decocker and/or safety. Still not seriously considering a wheel gun yet.

1 hour ago, Steve Butters said:

sounds like a wheel gun is exactly what you're looking for lol

Right! At least a blend of features. The XD-E meets some of those specs. Hammer fired, DA/SA, decocker, and thumb safety. It's a little "heavy" at 25 oz and a little larger than the others, and that hammer spur seems like it could be uncomfortable close to the body. Might get me moving if it's kicking me in the side?

P2000SK fits all your specs and is smaller and lighter than the XD-E (other than being 0.37" wider)... And no thumb safety... I mention it again since we talked before... I grabbed mine used for around retail on an XD... Just saying explore options, and look used you can save a boat load 

Edited by Steve Butters
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Steve Butters said:

P2000SK fits all your specs and is smaller and lighter than the XD-E (other than being 0.37" wider)... And no thumb safety... I mention it again since we talked before... I grabbed mine used for around retail on an XD... Just saying explore options, and look used you can save a boat load 

I'm starting to understand that choice more. Not sure how much different they are, but what about the P30SK or SKS which adds a thumb safety? (I think decocker-only makes more sense for a concealed gun? Just carry it hammer down.) https://hk-usa.com/hk-models/p30sk/

P30SKS-V3-Left-WEB.jpg

I wont buy any firearm with a thumb safety... And no experience with the P30SK so I can't really say... A thumb safety on the 2000 would be overkill considering the DA trigger first pull takes some strength...less steps to remember in an emergency without extra safeties... Go see which fits your hand better, and then buy the 2000 so you don't have to flip any levers to make it go bang lol 

5 hours ago, Steve Butters said:

I wont buy any firearm with a thumb safety... And no experience with the P30SK so I can't really say... A thumb safety on the 2000 would be overkill considering the DA trigger first pull takes some strength...less steps to remember in an emergency without extra safeties... Go see which fits your hand better, and then buy the 2000 so you don't have to flip any levers to make it go bang lol 

The P30SK also comes without a safety. Does that decocker button work well? It's easy to not notice it.

I was actually looking into this Bersa, but only if the price were low enough. I could grab an M&P Shield for a little over $300 right now. The Bersa is $400 at locally, special order. https://bersa.eagleimportsinc.com/bersa/firearms/thunder-ultra-compact-pro-series/models/thunder-pro-ultra-compact-9mm

Never owned a Walther but have a magnum research bde 9mm that is basically a Walther... It shoots nice, decocker lever is smooth, it's a nice gun. Has a little red button pop up when it's cocked. 

I always point my pistol at the floor when clicking the decock lever but I don't guide the hammer down... I've owned it long enough to build some trust with the controls... I wouldn't point it at someone and click the decock button, but then again I wouldn't point it at someone period, sooo... 

Having decock lever and a hammer is great for new carrying because it adds a layer of safety. Always makes me feel better. 

• Upvote 1

BTW... Can't go wrong with a shield... I've shot my buddy's and it's a nice little shooter... I don't remember it fitting your criteria of being able to decock it (striker?) and it does have a thumb safety if it remember right 

Don't be afraid of striker fired guns... Carry in a good holster that blocks the trigger and they're all as safe as the next 

I have two 9mm Shields.   One with a thumb safety and one without.  I carry the one with the safety and use the other one mainly as a range gun.  I have rubber grip sleeves on both and it makes a big difference especially if you have large hands.  The 8 round mags work better for my hand, but it comes with both 7 and 8 round mags.  

Shoot one.   You’ll buy it for sure.  

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Wahoo said:

I have two 9mm Shields.   One with a thumb safety and one without.  I carry the one with the safety and use the other one mainly as a range gun.  I have rubber grip sleeves on both and it makes a big difference especially if you have large hands.  The 8 round mags work better for my hand, but it comes with both 7 and 8 round mags.  

Yeah, especially since I saw the older Shield for only $280 online! FDE frame. Drives me crazy seeing deals while my wife hasn't made a choice. haha The Shield M2.0 I saw for $340. LC380 for $215. 

On 10/31/2018 at 2:37 PM, Steve Butters said:

BTW... Can't go wrong with a shield... I've shot my buddy's and it's a nice little shooter... I don't remember it fitting your criteria of being able to decock it (striker?) and it does have a thumb safety if it remember right 

Don't be afraid of striker fired guns... Carry in a good holster that blocks the trigger and they're all as safe as the next 

The decocker requirement is only in the case of DA/SA. 

On 10/31/2018 at 2:35 PM, Steve Butters said:

Never owned a Walther but have a magnum research bde 9mm that is basically a Walther... It shoots nice, decocker lever is smooth, it's a nice gun. Has a little red button pop up when it's cocked. 

I always point my pistol at the floor when clicking the decock lever but I don't guide the hammer down... I've owned it long enough to build some trust with the controls... I wouldn't point it at someone and click the decock button, but then again I wouldn't point it at someone period, sooo... 

Having decock lever and a hammer is great for new carrying because it adds a layer of safety. Always makes me feel better. 

Looks nice! A little heavy maybe. The tang looks like it my poke into the side or out of a shirt?

Yeah, using a decocker would always come with a moment of dread for me. haha

On 10/31/2018 at 6:49 PM, Wahoo said:

I held an LCP II tonight that had a Hogue grip on it. Felt almost like a real gun! hehe Seriously, I was reconsidering an LC9s with a Hogue grip, but the wife doesn't care for it. Right now it's between an XD-S Mod.2 or Shield (not M2.0), with the older Shield being through shakedown already and at a lower price. Unless we increase the budget, the Shield is pulling ahead. I asked her tonight what she feels should be a maximum price and she said $500. 

I was considering the Sig P320 subcompact, but I think that's the model that had a drop-discharge issue due to the weight of the trigger. Now I understand why there are trigger safeties! Sig just made their trigger physically lighter to fix the problem.

4 hours ago, Steve Butters said:

The bde? It's heavy and huge and never leaves the nightstand unless we're at the range... It's my wife's gun, I think she just liked that it has desert eagle in the name lol 

You guys have good taste. I'm just cheap. haha

1 minute ago, hiro said:

You guys have good taste. I'm just cheap. haha

funny thing is....our cheapest firearms are the LCP II's and we both have them on us almost 24/7 ... i carry the HK so infrequently that ive got an 18rd mag in it and its stuck to a magnet under my coffee table lol... then again, its been 90 degrees here and ive been dressing light...probably get the HK back out once im wearing pants with belt loops... i think we got the LCP II's for $280 plus tax. The hogue grip makes all the difference in the world.

As for shield vs XD-S.... I'm sure you can't go wrong with either. The XD-S looks way more badass, so it has my vote lol

6 minutes ago, Steve Butters said:

funny thing is....our cheapest firearms are the LCP II's and we both have them on us almost 24/7 ... i carry the HK so infrequently that ive got an 18rd mag in it and its stuck to a magnet under my coffee table lol... then again, its been 90 degrees here and ive been dressing light...probably get the HK back out once im wearing pants with belt loops... i think we got the LCP II's for $280 plus tax. The hogue grip makes all the difference in the world.

As for shield vs XD-S.... I'm sure you can't go wrong with either. The XD-S looks way more badass, so it has my vote lol

If the magnet can no longer hold the HK, you know you've gone too far with either mag capacity or accessories. heh

I like the grip safety on the XD-S. The grip feels longer front to back which is immediately noticeable, but it might be a good thing. Dry firing, the trigger gave a good amount of resistance, which isn't bad for self-defense. One the trigger broke, it felt and sounded kinda strange, like it had a shock absorber! Probably wouldn't notice the feel with a round firing. 

My wife pointed out that she can rack them all. I told her to pull the slide like she's trying to rip it off. haha 

Rented this HK VP9SK for free...with purchase of a $14 box of ammo. I liked it. Sights were more visible than on our SR9c. (I need glasses for sight distance.) But my wife actually prefers the feel of our gun. Surprising considering the HK retails for 26% more. Nice that the HK has an ambidextrous slide release and mag release paddles. Comfortable grip.

I'm thinking the final decision will end up being the Shield M2.0, maybe with integrated laser since it's the same price anyway. $339 right now.

VP9-SK-Web-1024x752-Ext.jpg