Two killed in Independence motorcycle crash on I-77 ramp

ludwb675

Sometimes I think they have it right in Europe where you are limited to essentially starting with scooters and moving up in engine size over time. Too many newbs on sportbikes that don't know how to ride and get in over their heads. Sad story.

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, ScubaCinci said:

Sometimes I think they have it right in Europe where you are limited to essentially starting with scooters and moving up in engine size over time. Too many newbs on sportbikes that don't know how to ride and get in over their heads. Sad story.

Licensing in general should be more strict here. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, ScubaCinci said:

There is another difference in Europe. They actually enforce their laws. We kind if suck at that. We don't have enough cops for it, not even close.

3 hours ago, motocat12 said:

Is it different there/now? when i had my learners no highway, no passengers and no night ridding.

nope

https://www.bmv.ohio.gov/dl-mo-motorcycle.aspx

The difference is everyone has to go through pretty rigorous (compared to what we have at least) training prior to getting a permit, and then are limited to certain displacements until they can prove they are good enough riders to handle more powerful machines. Licensing for cars is a lot more strict too, with defensive driving courses as mandatory and a lot more instructional time behind the wheel. 

Meanwhile in the USA, Johnny Littledick can go buy a 220 horsepower superbike off the showroom floor and ride away without ever having been on a motorcycle before. Generally this does not end well. 

1 hour ago, what said:

Meanwhile in the USA, Johnny Littledick can go buy a 220 horsepower superbike off the showroom floor and ride away without ever having been on a motorcycle before. Generally this does not end well. 

I guess this would be considered freedom.  His life, his choices....

I don't think laws should protect people from themselves tbh

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, DerekClouser said:

I guess this would be considered freedom.  His life, his choices....

I don't think laws should protect people from themselves tbh

I agree up to the point where his choices impact others. In this case, he killed his passenger. 

That said, he was already breaking the law by riding on the highway and also by having a passenger. Neither are allowed with motorcycle temps. So additional laws wouldn’t have saved him or his passenger from his choices. 

• Upvote 2

This is Darwinism, and I don't mean that is the dick sense.

The rider broke basic laws, and presumably was riding a motorcycle that was above his pay grade.  The passenger chose to get on a motorcycle with an inexperienced rider...perhaps he convinced her that he knew what he was doing....dunno.

Poor choices led to death, unfortunately. 

Edited by Tpoppa

I always tell my female friends that if a guy tries to get you on the back of his bike and doesn't give you a helmet, jacket and gloves, makes you wear pants and boots (at least tied shoes) and/or doesn't go over ground rules while on the back of the bike,  tell him to fuck off, he doesn't give a shit about what happens to you. If he is not wearing gear himself, that is an automatic no.

Can't really do anything about someone lying and saying they are a safe rider. But those simple things to think about should weed out a lot of dbags.

Edited by TimTheAzn
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Steve Butters said:

Yall ruthless. You gonna show up at the funeral and piss on the kids coffin too? He's dead. No need to cite the obvious that he made bad choices. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think many of us are discussing need for more difficult testing and graduated licensing. In this case, it wouldn’t have helped since he was clearly already breaking the law. Additional laws wouldn’t have saved their lives. 

1 hour ago, Casper said:

I think many of us are discussing need for more difficult testing and graduated licensing. In this case, it wouldn’t have helped since he was clearly already breaking the law. Additional laws wouldn’t have saved their lives. 

additional training may have though, and that's the whole point of graduated licensing. 

I always have a bit of an issue with the investigating officers and the news saying "Speed is thought to be a factor."  By whose standards?  Was he REALLY trying to navigate the ramp at "Ludicrous Speed" or was his inexperience the primary factor?  No one will ever be able to definitively say whether he was already scraping the pegs and finally ran out of lean angle and started scraping the hard parts, or whether he panicked and target fixated on the looming guard rail and ran straight off the ramp, or grabbed a fistful of front brake and lowsided.  Guess it doesn't matter in this case--result's the same.

Edited by Bubba

1 hour ago, Bubba said:

I always have a bit of an issue with the investigating officers and the news saying "Speed is thought to be a factor."  By whose standards?  Was he REALLY trying to navigate the ramp at "Ludicrous Speed" or was his inexperience the primary factor?  No one will ever be able to definitively say whether he was already scraping the pegs and finally ran out of lean angle and started scraping the hard parts, or whether he panicked and target fixated on the looming guard rail and ran straight off the ramp, or grabbed a fistful of front brake and lowsided.  Guess it doesn't matter in this case--result's the same.

I know that corner, based on where the bike stopped he was well over ludicrous.

11 hours ago, MidgetTodd said:

one mans ludicrous pace is another mans regular pace........

without actual numbers everything is speculation 

I mean, it’s pretty clear that regardless of the actual numbers, it was too fast. Right? 

Or just newb like the Mexican said. Slippery Oct night. I don’t know that area at all but could been a 35 ramp and slippery and he was doing 45. The statement speed was a factor would be accurate but he may not have been riding like an asshat. 

Im not judging because I almost always ride like an asshat, but I’m skilled enough to do so. Either way this wasn’t a lesson he can learn from. 

On 10/21/2018 at 7:49 AM, MidgetTodd said:

Or just newb like the Mexican said. Slippery Oct night. I don’t know that area at all but could been a 35 ramp and slippery and he was doing 45. The statement speed was a factor would be accurate but he may not have been riding like an asshat. 

Im not judging because I almost always ride like an asshat, but I’m skilled enough to do so. Either way this wasn’t a lesson he can learn from. 

yea I've slid on that ramp in 2 different vehicles. I have no doubt speed was a factor but as mentioned earlier what speed was it?