Speeding ticket

Howabusa

16 minutes ago, Howabusa said:

I just go a speeding ticket on 78 outside McConnellsville. Paid $111! 79 in a 55, could have got me for reckless op. They didn’t! 2 Morgan county deputies. Fuck! I was overdue, never had a ticket on the bike, ever! 

Did you pay the cop?

2 hours ago, Howabusa said:

I just go a speeding ticket on 78 outside McConnellsville. Paid $111! 79 in a 55, could have got me for reckless op. They didn’t! 2 Morgan county deputies. Fuck! I was overdue, never had a ticket on the bike, ever! 

I think you got off cheap. Last ticket my wife got from a state pooper was $189 for 69 in a 55

1 hour ago, street pilot said:

Is "reckless op" even a thing anymore?

30 MPH over is 4 points now.  I think some of these laws changed recently.

https://publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/hsy7607.pdf

There were 2 Morgan deputies in the car. One of them training. The older cop said, he could have got you for Reckless op. that’s 6 points. Thank you!!! 

17 hours ago, Howabusa said:

Telling them that you thought "78" was the posted speed limit didn't work??  :o

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Howabusa said:

There were 2 Morgan deputies in the car. One of them training. 

This is why he even pulled you over. Last ticket my wife got last spring the guy had a trainee. Last ticket I got many moons ago the cop had a trainee. You were the example subject of the training exercise. Thanks for playing along. 

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, JapanRider92 said:

I just got pulled over in KY going 92 in a 70. I also had a passenger without a seatbelt on. He said the ticket was $200. He let me off b/c of my Trump shirt 👍

MSGA....Make Speeding Great Again!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Two months ago I got stopped by the Policia doing 110 MPH on a toll road in Mexico, I negotiated with the cop down to 1000 pesos ($52) from 1500 pesos on the side of the road. I know the locals only bribe the Policia 500 pesos or less, but I'm a Gringo! Wonder if I'll get points on my Ohio license... LOL, so corrupt in Mexico!

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 1

They could have cited you for anything. I don’t think reckless opp would have stuck. 

Every county is different as far as what they’ll pursue for traffic offenses, but speed alone, unless you’re doing substantially more than 30 over, is a weak case for reckless opp. (IMHO)

you can be doing 30 mph through stopped or crawling traffic, weaving all over, and that would be a lot more reckless than 24 over in light traffic. 

As noted, it’s a 6 point violation. The same as an OVI. Unless your conduct was similarly dangerous, i wouldn’t consider it reckless opp. 

Look up the definition of “street racing.” Also a 6 point violation. Many things qualify that no judge would hit you with 6 points for. 

$111 is cheap though. Court costs are typically over $100, plus $50 or more for the fine. 

12 hours ago, redkow97 said:

They could have cited you for anything. I don’t think reckless opp would have stuck. 

Every county is different as far as what they’ll pursue for traffic offenses, but speed alone, unless you’re doing substantially more than 30 over, is a weak case for reckless opp. (IMHO)

you can be doing 30 mph through stopped or crawling traffic, weaving all over, and that would be a lot more reckless than 24 over in light traffic. 

As noted, it’s a 6 point violation. The same as an OVI. Unless your conduct was similarly dangerous, i wouldn’t consider it reckless opp. 

Look up the definition of “street racing.” Also a 6 point violation. Many things qualify that no judge would hit you with 6 points for. 

$111 is cheap though. Court costs are typically over $100, plus $50 or more for the fine. 

I've had a 6pt street racing ticket... Doing 51 in a 35 in a 94 f150... Garbage... I mean, I was racing, but I was just a kid fucking around with my buddy in his ranger on east broad in Whitehall.... Ended up with 80hr community service and a suspension... I don't think it takes much.... My buddy only got cited for speeding since he was shipping out for the navy and wouldn't have made court.... So apparently I was racing myself /confused

*was also 3am and I had a 16 and 15yr old girls with me so didnt wanna argue and get arrested for curfew. 

Edited by Steve Butters

I have gotten many speeding tickets. Not in some years, knock on wood. 

I had a close friend who was a lawyer. He told me to keep my mouth shut, and never talk to the cop, unless you had too. We would always go to court. We never argued money, only charges. The insurance impact is always greater than the ticket. 

He once got a 10 point/600.00 stop dropped to a "Parked on the road illegally", which turned into 4 points and 700.00. In the end I kept my license, and my insurance. The courts clearly only cared about the money, and I was happy to give them one payment, instead of double insurance payments for years. 

10 minutes ago, Travisty said:

I have gotten many speeding tickets. Not in some years, knock on wood. 

I had a close friend who was a lawyer. He told me to keep my mouth shut, and never talk to the cop, unless you had too. We would always go to court. We never argued money, only charges. The insurance impact is always greater than the ticket. 

He once got a 10 point/600.00 stop dropped to a "Parked on the road illegally", which turned into 4 points and 700.00. In the end I kept my license, and my insurance. The courts clearly only cared about the money, and I was happy to give them one payment, instead of double insurance payments for years. 

how much is the lawyer compared to the insurance hit?

You don’t NEED a lawyer, but you do need to be prepared to find out how much procedural bullshit you don’t expect. 

You can make oral motions on the record, but unless the prosecutor agrees, the judge is unlikely to grant them. 

You can file a written motion, but then it must be properly served, with a proof of service attached, and enough time for the opposing party to respond. 

You can try a case yourself as well, but you still have to follow the rules of evidence and procedure.  The judge will explain the rules to you, but they can’t “help” you. 

And just like i probably couldn’t walk into your place of employment and do your job as well as you can, it’s unlikely that you’re going to walk into a courtroom and out-lawyer a prosecutor. 

I fully endorse taking a human approach and asking if a reduced charge is a possibility, with an agreed fine, etc., but “just plead not guilty and hope the cop doesn’t show up” seems to be a wide-spread misconception about how traffic court works. 

• Upvote 1

I had a guy show up with an entire binder of pictures and other shit. 

None of it was provided to me as discovery, but the guy didn’t even attempt to introduce it, let alone move to admit any of it. 

He asked 2 “questions” of the Officer. Both were objectionable, and the officer never had to answer either. The guy got frustrated, sat down, and was found guilty on all counts. 

He tried to play lawyer and trialed himself into a much higher charge than i had offered to amend to. 

Like i said, i endorse speaking with the prosecutor, but you have to take the right tone with that, and make it clear that you’re willing to resolve the case in a reasonable manner. 

• Upvote 1