Getting marks off a matte finish.

2talltim

So I went to Lowe's yesterday to pick up some bolts. You know how you have to write on the little baggie what your buying for the checkout person. Well I was carrying my helmet in my hand and the bag rubbed up against my helmet before the marker ink dried on the bag. After trying many different solvents including Windex, non ammonia in Windex, alcohol, non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner, WD-40 and Simple Green I'm still left with this yellowish residue.

Anything y'all can think of that will be safe on a matte finish that may take this off?

20181008_132643.thumb.jpg.f848c56723063b75ae793fb9c938ca9a.jpg

20181008_132702.thumb.jpg.9dbdd07eaba706adf2c633d3bbc6f2be.jpg

Edited by 2talltim
  • Sad 1

Magic erasers use abrasion to do their job...I'd steer clear of that unless you've tried all other non-destructive methods. Maybe goof-off or similar? I think there are some less harsh versions.

Worst case, throw some stickers on there :)

I used to use isopropyl alcohol and ethyl alcohol (aggressive to some plastics) to clean up plastics for electronics. And I've used both on helmets.

Internet has a list of stuff to try:

To remove permanent marker from hard plastics, follow these simple steps.

1. Color over the permanent marker you wish to remove with a dry-erase marker.
  2. Wipe over the area with a rag, and the permanent marker should come right off along with the dry-erase marker.
  3. Repeat if any permanent marker remains.

This process works so well because the rubbing alcohol in the dry-erase marker eats through the permanent marker, while the tip of the marker acts as a little scrub brush, lifting and removing the marks.

Other Household Products for Cleaning. Vinegar, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide.

Even sunscreen is an option, it has alcohol in it.

WD-40 is worth a try.

edit: you know, it looks like the yellow ink on the bag came off and stuck to the helmet. Printer's clean ink with Stoddard solvent.

Edited by ReconRat

3 hours ago, Steve Butters said:

Magic eraser is good at removing hard to clean shit... Not sure if it's safe, but it can't be any worse than brake cleaner 

2 hours ago, ScubaCinci said:

Magic erasers use abrasion to do their job...I'd steer clear of that unless you've tried all other non-destructive methods. Maybe goof-off or similar? I think there are some less harsh versions.

Worst case, throw some stickers on there :)

Magic Eraser didn't work maybe faded it slightly.

haven't tried goof off yet I ran out last time Dan was here working on his bike

20181008_170431.thumb.jpg.8fdfd5b06bee68a6f317582b5cc5e736.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ReconRat said:

I used to use isopropyl alcohol and ethyl alcohol (aggressive to some plastics) to clean up plastics for electronics. And I've used both on helmets.

Internet has a list of stuff to try:

To remove permanent marker from hard plastics, follow these simple steps.

1. Color over the permanent marker you wish to remove with a dry-erase marker.
  2. Wipe over the area with a rag, and the permanent marker should come right off along with the dry-erase marker.
  3. Repeat if any permanent marker remains.

This process works so well because the rubbing alcohol in the dry-erase marker eats through the permanent marker, while the tip of the marker acts as a little scrub brush, lifting and removing the marks.

Other Household Products for Cleaning. Vinegar, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide.

Even sunscreen is an option, it has alcohol in it.

WD-40 is worth a try.

edit: you know, it looks like the yellow ink on the bag came off and stuck to the helmet. Printer's clean ink with Stoddard solvent.

Tried alcohol several times and just tried your dry erase trick didn't do it either. It's definitely the black ink because it was black before I started cleaning.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Steve Butters said:

I haven't ran into many things a magic eraser can't erase lmao 

Gonna try it on @Casper then.

Tim, you are fucked. Matte helmets look cool but as soon as anything happens to the paint you are screwed. Took me two of them to learn that. Never again.

2 hours ago, Casper said:

I’d soak a wash cloth in hot water and lay it over it for a little bit. Like 15-30 minutes. Then try to wipe it off. Maybe rub some Dawn dish detergent on it and let it sit also. 

Thanks for the idea but did work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MidgetTodd said:

Goo Gone. It works perfectly 

Also Goof Off. Same thing different name 

1 hour ago, Casper said:

Both will mess up matte finishes. Google it. It stains matte paint. 

Kinda what I though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tonik said:

Gonna try it on @Casper then.

Tim, you are fucked. Matte helmets look cool but as soon as anything happens to the paint you are screwed. Took me two of them to learn that. Never again.

Yea kind what I'm learning. I can only hope the sun will fade it some. Oh well just another story of the road. All the scuffs and scratches on the connie are stories to be told.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

Thanks for the idea but did work.

Maybe let it sit on the helmet for several hours? Should soften it up and wipe off. 

Another idea would be to find a tar/insect remover, and do the same process with the rag soaked in it sitting for a period of time. Looks like McKee’s 37 could work. Chemical Guys also has one specifically for matte finishes.

The main idea is to break it down without rubbing. Rubbing will cause a shine. 

1 minute ago, Casper said:

Maybe let it sit on the helmet for several hours? Should soften it up and wipe off. 

Another idea would be to find a tar/insect remover, and do the same process with the rag soaked in it sitting for a period of time. Looks like McKee’s 37 could work. Chemical Guys also has one specifically for matte finishes.

The main idea is to break it down without rubbing. Rubbing will cause a shine. 

We'll see. I'll revisit this another time. Every time I try something and it fails it just pisses me off even more. Maybe one of the rainy days this week.

11 hours ago, Casper said:

Both will mess up matte finishes. Google it. It stains matte paint. 

News to me. I’ve never had it mess up anything. I use it on everything. Maybe if you spray it and let it sit it might stain. Use it like it’s supposed to be used. 

2 minutes ago, MidgetTodd said:

News to me. I’ve never had it mess up anything. I use it on everything. Maybe if you spray it and let it sit it might stain. Use it like it’s supposed to be used. 

DON'T use it on clear acrylic or polycarbonate unless you no longer want it to be clear anymore. Ask @Danimal how he knows.