New out of state purchase tax rules

2talltim

So I had some things in my cart on RM/ATV/MC web site for over a week plans on purchasing it on this payday. One of the items I was to have them price match another retailer so I use the chat option to get the price match. Done this many times before. They approve the price match and send me the invoice. I  notice that there is tax on this invoice. I ask about, Why? And the guy tells me a new law or rule went into effect Monday Oct 1st that Ohio now requires them to charge tax on out of state purchases even though they have no brick and mortar sites in state. He didn't have the details just said they had to do it now. So I checked several other online retailers I deal with regularly and sure enough found most of them now charge tax. 

Did a little google fu and found this BULLSHIT explanation.......

Massachusetts & Ohio: ‘Cookie Nexus’

One particularly clever state approach has been the one pioneered by Massachusetts and recently adopted in Ohio, which counts the internet cookies retailers place on customers’ computers as a physical presence in the state.

Basically, by claiming the lines of code that live on the customer’s computer as a tiny piece of local real estate, these states have asserted a collection obligation, regardless of where the retailer is physically based.

For those of us that regularly buy on line to save a dime this is going to cost use hundreds of dollars a year.

Thoughts?

Edited by 2talltim

4 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

block cookies. Order from a non ohio hosted virtual machine.

What I gather it doesn't have to be "your" machine the fact that it's on "A" machine in Ohio qualifies. And your shipping and billing address obviously gives away your location.

Okay in my search to be a cheap ass I think I discovered something else. Givi is now selling consumer direct though a different entity https://tourandride.com/

That web site and https://www.giviusa.com/  mirror each other and the phone numbers ring to the same message. Also the addresses on the R&T and Givi web site are the same.  Site says it was registered in 2018 so must be a newish thing. 

Edited by 2talltim

5 hours ago, 2talltim said:

What I gather it doesn't have to be "your" machine the fact that it's on "A" machine in Ohio qualifies. And your shipping and billing address obviously gives away your location.

i guess you have a lot of cats to herd up then. #resist

Image result for herd cats gif