SR9c first time

hiro

First time shooting the Ruger SR9c. Might need to adjust my grip? That safety was chewing on my thumb! Only shot 75 rounds total.

image.thumb.png.11d7789b1d18e9bc5f78fba895402179.png

Below is 25 rounds of Federal Champion at 7 yards. It actually grouped better than the other stuff I hesitantly agreed to buy. Had to hold low at the lower edge of the 7-ring and a little to the right. Not sure why it was hitting left, but I'll shoot more before worrying about it. (It wouldn't hurt to have glasses or something. heh My near vision can get a little fuzzy these days, and I could use some convergence exercises.)

image.png.7e53ac32e2406f7b01b174e76d7c1f0c.png

Below is 25 rounds of Field & Stream (Maxxtech) at 7 yards. I did take a few faster shots which explains the high hits, but that lateral spread... Can the ammo actually make a difference in accuracy? Not even going to show my first 25 of Field & Stream. haha 

image.png.c997cbed3f868a688d9e2315bf42fb27.png

This is an excellent article on the thumbs-forward grip. Maybe having a blister was a benefit by forcing me to learn! http://www.handgunsmag.com/editorial/tactics_training_combatg_100306/138866 

hgcombatg_100206g.jpg

(Left) Brian Enos believes one of the keys to a successful grip is having no contact by the thumbs along the side of the gun. The grip should happen strictly in the palms and fingers. (Right) Dave Sevigny does touch the side of the gun with his thumbs and also considers that an important part of his technique.

I was doing the technique on the right. The pressure of my rearward thumb combined with the shape and position of the thumb safety caused the blister, but I wonder if it also shifted my shots to the left a little. What feels good to me now is to allow the rearward thumb go wide and the forward thumb to lightly touch the frame. I mean, I need to actually shoot with that new grip still, but it seems promising.

12 hours ago, redkow97 said:

I have never owned a pistol with a safety. Did you rent the SR9 before buying it? 75 rounds is nothing...

No, I never tested the SR9(c) before I bought one. Not the best approach, but I solved the safety abrasion issue. It was pretty good advice in general to start with a larger range gun, then get a smaller conceal gun later if necessary. The SR9c is kinda in between those two.

Maybe in some strange way, taking the gun off of safe is like cocking a hammer to me. When did striker fired guns come into existence anyway? Maybe I'm one of those people who would choose a 1911 over a Glock? Actually, I'm more like a cheap person who will only spend so much! haha

Edited by hiro

Everyone's preference is different.. But I wouldn't want to cock it or flip a safety... 1911 has both... I prefer simplicity... My HK is DA/SA with no safety... Point and shoot.... Congrats on the first purchase though! It's a sweet gun. All about muscle memory, they say eventually it's second nature to hit the safety with some training. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Butters said:

Everyone's preference is different.. But I wouldn't want to cock it or flip a safety... 1911 has both... I prefer simplicity... My HK is DA/SA with no safety... Point and shoot.... Congrats on the first purchase though! It's a sweet gun. All about muscle memory, they say eventually it's second nature to hit the safety with some training. 

What is the model? Isn't AZ a gun-free zone? Meaning, anyone can have guns freely?!

Just have to work working the safety into the routine at home and at the range so it becomes routine. Yeah, I think having a longer, heavier DA or DA/SA trigger would be a good alternative. Maybe the better alternative. A semi-cocked striker with a lighter, shorter trigger pull without a manual safety doesn't feel safe enough to me. Being ready to shoot for self-defense is one thing, but more than 99% of the time, the issue will be NOT shooting. 

Next thing I need to do is drift the rear sight to the right a little. Even though I'm not /that/ accurate, we have shot enough to see that it hits high-left at close range. The elevation is nice and easy to adjust using a screw driver, and it has detents. Just wish my eyes were better able to focus on the sights. (I've given in to using reading glasses, but that's as far as I'm willing to go right now!)

Planning to work with a Brock String to see what my eyes are doing. 

20 hours ago, Steve Butters said:

It's a P2000SK and the first pull is like 9lb so you're not pulling it on accident lol... And yes, AZ is as gun friendly as it gets! I love it lol

Looks pretty nice. I saw that there is some law enforcement version with a scary light trigger, even though the pull is long. 

The wife and I passed NC concealed training today. I'm not sure if I will apply right away, but my wife is now interested in completing the process. Costs $100 with 2 sets of fingerprints out here. (Works out to only a $1.67 per month. heh) If nothing else, it would make transporting the gun less trouble. 

There had a rep from US LawShield there. How you peeps feel about carry insurance? 

19 hours ago, hiro said:

Looks pretty nice. I saw that there is some law enforcement version with a scary light trigger, even though the pull is long. 

The wife and I passed NC concealed training today. I'm not sure if I will apply right away, but my wife is now interested in completing the process. Costs $100 with 2 sets of fingerprints out here. (Works out to only a $1.67 per month. heh) If nothing else, it would make transporting the gun less trouble. 

There had a rep from US LawShield there. How you peeps feel about carry insurance? 

The LEM models are what most people prefer... I'm just kinda old school and like having a hammer and decock lever... Makes me feel safer, even if it's not 

4 hours ago, Steve Butters said:

The LEM models are what most people prefer... I'm just kinda old school and like having a hammer and decock lever... Makes me feel safer, even if it's not 

Yeah, I think I'd still put my thumb on the hammer even if using a decocker. This is probably good for target shooting! https://youtu.be/AZD1KLe6Nw4?t=43