FTR1200 Released

JustinNck1

14 hours ago, 2talltim said:

And here is where they fucked  up.

20181001_191759.thumb.jpg.5bf9ccba697d2eebfb3a7f62fb02f88a.jpg

That seems to be the the most common complaint that I have seen so far.

1 hour ago, MidgetTodd said:

Their target audience is flat track racers and fans. That tire is the top of the line flat track racing tire and comes on it from the factory. It’s also a pretty good street tire. I’d say they hit the mark they intended to hit

Flat track fans is a pretty tiny target market.  I think people that want a sporty American made street bike from a company that will actually be around (sorry EB) would expect 17" wheels.

I'll be surprised if there isn't a 17" version in the first or second model year.

Edited by Tpoppa

15 hours ago, 2talltim said:

120ish HP and weighs around 480ish I'm sure torque is up there being a vtwin.

Nope, only 85 ft-lbs @6000 rpm - my 17 year old Bandit does that!

And 43o lean angle?  I guess it really doesn't need sportbike wheels & tires. 

3 minutes ago, MSerfozo said:

My guess is that the lean angle is limited mostly by the tires at this point. Toss some standard sport tires on there and it will be good.

One other thing that may limit its ability to corner is the wheelbase. The Indian has a 60" wheelbase, most sportbikes have 55" or less. 

3 hours ago, what said:

The Indian has a 60" wheelbase, most sportbikes have 55" or less. 

60 is pretty typical of sport tourers.

Actually, with some bags and a screen it would be pretty similar to the Tracer 900 GT.

And it has cruise control.  Can anyone think of a good reason why all motorcycles don't have electronic cruise?

5 hours ago, MSerfozo said:

They claim 120 HP and 85 ft-lb torque.  That's more than a Thruxton R.  Don't seem that bad to me!

Edited by jacobhawkins

On 10/2/2018 at 10:41 AM, MSerfozo said:

How heavily has your bandit been breathed on? They make like 60 ft of torque out of the box. I nodded mine almost completely out as far as pipe and jets and put a gsxr cam in it and probably got it into the mid 70's. Never rolled it on a dyno but saw sheets from bikes with similar mods. 

22 hours ago, GSX-Sam said:

How heavily has your bandit been breathed on? They make like 60 ft of torque out of the box. I nodded mine almost completely out as far as pipe and jets and put a gsxr cam in it and probably got it into the mid 70's. Never rolled it on a dyno but saw sheets from bikes with similar mods. 

Mine has had everything short of cylinder machine work done to it.  Holeshot header & slipon, Holeshot stage 2 jet kit, and both GSX-R cams.  Here's what Dale Walker's dyno showed on his similarly built Bandit (but no cams on Dale's for this series of pulls)  I had mine on a dyno once when the Dynojet guy was at Mid-Ohio for the AMA races.  It pulled 115hp (Stage 1 & slipon at the time) but the dyno guy wasn't taking time to attach a spark sensor so no direct RPM and torque measured.  However, my hp curve was shapes similar to Dale's and would imply at least 80-90 ft-lbs in that state of tune.  I think you were selling your Bandit short.

My surprise at the FTR's torque numbers was because I expected they'd put a v-twin tractor motor in it with peak torque at 3KRPM like another US bike maker does.  The difference between the FTR's torque & hp numbers implies that it revs more like a Ducati than a Harley.  Could be a fun motor.

bndt_b1201_s2fu.png

1 hour ago, MSerfozo said:

Mine has had everything short of cylinder machine work done to it.  Holeshot header & slipon, Holeshot stage 2 jet kit, and both GSX-R cams.  Here's what Dale Walker's dyno showed on his similarly built Bandit (but no cams on Dale's for this series of pulls)  I had mine on a dyno once when the Dynojet guy was at Mid-Ohio for the AMA races.  It pulled 115hp (Stage 1 & slipon at the time) but the dyno guy wasn't taking time to attach a spark sensor so no direct RPM and torque measured.  However, my hp curve was shapes similar to Dale's and would imply at least 80-90 ft-lbs in that state of tune.  I think you were selling your Bandit short.

My surprise at the FTR's torque numbers was because I expected they'd put a v-twin tractor motor in it with peak torque at 3KRPM like another US bike maker does.  The difference between the FTR's torque & hp numbers implies that it revs more like a Ducati than a Harley.  Could be a fun motor.

bndt_b1201_s2fu.png

Maybe I was selling it short. From what I've seen and read they made the ftr1200 motor rev higher and it has some pretty short-skirted pistons suggesting more of a square bore compared to a hardly ableson. Haven't looked up bore and stroke numbers yet, so I could be wrong.