AEP recreation park near McConnellsvile ?

theroamr

Just a bunch of county and township roads that are on the map. Lot of them are dirt and rough. The Jesse Owen's area used to be a cool area to explore but its been years since I've been back in there in 4wd.

https://www.aep.com/environment/conservation/recland/pdf/AEPReCreationLandMap7-11-18.pdf

Edited by 2talltim
  • Beer 1

13 hours ago, theroamr said:

I downloaded the permit and just need to know where to get inside the park to ride some good dirt and gravel roads. I assume there off 83 somewhere. Any ideas?

Learned something new, I was supposed to have a permit to ride the roads in AEP. I was exploring back roads down south last spring and ended up in this area. I only guessed it was AEP lands because I had heard of the AEP lands and the terrain was very different than the surrounding area. There appeared to be many roads and 2 track with various levels of maintenance. It really wasnt clear what was a road and what was a path that might go nowhere. 

I need to print a permit and go back there again, preferably with someone as there was no cell service and some area were quite remote.  

1 hour ago, MidgetTodd said:

I’m down for some Side by Side exploring if anyone else has one and wants to. Or quads

Pretty sure its street legal vehicles only. Just a collection of state,county and local road with some cow paths to some fishing areas. 

I could ge wrong but that's the way it was many moons ago when used to go down with a four wheel drive in a canoe throwing some lures around.

• Upvote 1

Side by Sides and atvs are now street legal in almost all rural counties and a ton of suburban areas as well. Just not allowed on freeway, hi way and state routes. Only allowed to cross those. I use mine more on the road than anywhere. Just have to have the apv plate. Most everywhere has adopted that policy now that areas around Wayne have been doing forever  

Side note , Polaris also sells an oem dot kit that is plug and play on all newer models. Turn signals, horn, brake & license plate light. Get that and switch to radial dot tires and Ohio switches you to a street title and plates. About $500 total depending on your tire choice. I’ll likely be doing that in spring. 

• Beer 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be up for exploring, but the AEP regulations state the vehicle must be street-legal and stay on-road.

https://www.aep.com/environment/conservation/recland/pdf/BackofReCLandMap1-29-13.pdf

There aren't many places to legally ride SxS on public land in Ohio that I'm aware of - sounds like your experience is the laws are not enforced.  I had a buddy come into town and wanted to rip into the woods on a SxS and set up camp somewhere remote (which is legal in his state) - I couldn't find a way to put it together in Ohio.

• 2 months later...
On 9/28/2018 at 3:09 PM, MidgetTodd said:

Side by Sides and atvs are now street legal in almost all rural counties and a ton of suburban areas as well. Just not allowed on freeway, hi way and state routes. Only allowed to cross those. I use mine more on the road than anywhere. Just have to have the apv plate. Most everywhere has adopted that policy now that areas around Wayne have been doing forever  

Side note , Polaris also sells an oem dot kit that is plug and play on all newer models. Turn signals, horn, brake & license plate light. Get that and switch to radial dot tires and Ohio switches you to a street title and plates. About $500 total depending on your tire choice. I’ll likely be doing that in spring. 

Areas around Wayne have only been Atv friendly for a few years and they are very strict about which roads they are allowed on.  I see quite a few country cars on the roads around here, but they are no where near legal.  

WV is another story.