First Gun out of these?

hiro

LC380
LC9s
Security 9

Out of those Rugers, which would be a decent first purchase? They are only $300 new right now which helps. I've shot 38 special, 44 lever-action, 45, but mostly and most recently 9mm. I'd prefer something that isn't highly likely to pass through someone. (Safety first?) At first I was thinking of maybe me or my wife carrying sometimes, but that might not happen. Definitely something to have at home, maybe on the bike or in a car, and I'd really like it if my wife would carry something if she walks in the woods or goes on a rare camping trip. My wife has shot 9mm, like a Glock 19, but I'm wondering if the smaller LC9s might not be as comfortable. That's why the lower power LC380 and larger Security 9 are on the list. Share your wisdom. heh

45 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

The Sec 9 would be a better range toy.  The others are less fun to shoot, but easier to carry.

I was thinking that the Security 9 would also allow a light to be attached. Then I also found that an SR9-compact could do the same for a similar price if purchased new online. The grip can also be extended to be more like the larger SR9. Not sure if it would be less fun at a range or not.

SR9c_light_ext_mag.jpg

I didn't like the SR9 as much as I thought I would. i tried the lc9 too. Spend the $ and rent them at the range. Vance gives you credit if you buy the same gun new.  I ended up buying a taurus pt111 after eliminating other options.  then a WALTHER PPS M2 single stack sells that for $300 too after finding the tauris wasn't great for aiming at circles on paper.

4 hours ago, motocat12 said:

I didn't like the SR9 as much as I thought I would. i tried the lc9 too. Spend the $ and rent them at the range. Vance gives you credit if you buy the same gun new.  I ended up buying a taurus pt111 after eliminating other options.  then a WALTHER PPS M2 single stack sells that for $300 too after finding the tauris wasn't great for aiming at circles on paper.

The Taurus at least looks like something I would choose. The Walther doesn't have a manual safety which is something I want. 

There is a range near by that has a 30-day membership for $50. It included unlimited range time and rentals as long as the ammo is purchased on site. (9mm is about $15 for 50 and 380 is maybe $18 for 50.) They claim to have 50 rentals. Not sure if that includes the full-autos or not! https://www.shootersexpress.com/pages/our-range

4 hours ago, Wahoo said:

If you are not locked into a Ruger, take a look at the new Smith & Wesson 380 EZ Shield for your wife.  Easy to rack, shoots great, frame is large enough for a good grip, but small enough to conceal.

My wife loves hers.  

Yeah, I did come across that model and it seems really nice. Especially the, what's it called? The take-down(?) lever that allows the slide to be removed. The Rugers have small pins that come completely out and probably try to hide to maintain their liberation. The only negative is that the price is starting to creep up. How's the grip safety? 

My wife was not happy walking into Gander Outdoors because some guy was waving around some tactical looking rifle. She says the range is one thing, but she doesn't care to own a gun or bring it anywhere with her. TBH, I wasn't so thrilled with the rifle pointing towards my head when I walked up to the counter, but it was my choice to go to that exact spot where the LC380 is.

I picked up an UpLULA mag loader. I even have 100 rounds of ammo. Just need a mag now! 

Shoot the ruger American before writing off full sized pistols.

There is a reason the SR9 was quickly replaced by the American. 

I have not shot the LC9s, but that is what i would carry out of the pistols you listed. With that said, i don’t mind the size of a Glock 19.  For a smaller person, and a lot of women, it might be a different story (not that i’m Particularly massive...)

security 9 may be the middle ground. 

But be honest with yourself about how often you are going to shoot and how often you are going to carry...  i did not enjoy shooting my compact 9mm.  At the same time, i had access to law enforcement pricing on glocks, and was getting discounted range time.  The combination of shooting 3-4 times/month, and the G19 discount made that the better choice for me. YMMV, if you’re only shooting monthly to stay proficient with a carry gun. 

Rent them. Any respectable gun store will be happy to earn your business.  The chain shops do free 5-shot test fires during manufacturer events (Glocktober is coming) and will set you up with 30 mins of range time an a box of ammo if you buy the gun. 

G43 is a great carry gun. G26 is also nice, but if you’re going to have the wider grip, i figure the 19 is negligible larger. 

At your price point, i think you’re between the security 9 and the LC9s. Tell the shop that and ask to rent both to compare them. Fires back-to-back, either you will like one more, or you’ll buy the cheaper one. 

My very humble opinion is that 380 compact pistols are only useful when you’re wearing gym shorts and pocket carrying.

the compact 9mm options are very good these days, and the ammo is significantly less expensive. 

The small 380s are light enough to snap the same as a 9mm.

I had a G26. I liked the slide size, did not like how thick it was being a subcompact. I traded it for a G19 and enjoyed that for a while. (Yea I know I went bigger when I was complaining about size, but I was all about glocks for some reason at the time and the G19 didn't carry and different for me than the G26 did. I did not appendix carry either.)

Eventually got rid of the G19 and picked up a 9mm shield (I've always shot shields and XD's better for some reason). It is single stack and roughly the same slide length. Overall it feels smaller and its nice to appendix carry.

If I had to go back I would have probably went straight for the G43 but it wasn't out yet.

Oh and fwiw the only Ruger I would shoot is a 10/22. Have not enjoyed any of the Ruger hand guns I have shot. And like Tony said, I thought the trigger sucked and I was used to a glock trigger.

Edited by TimTheAzn

I bought my 40 sub compact before my LCP II and wish I had done it the other way around.... Someone just said only useful in gym shorts (I carry appendix in gym shorts, not pocket) ... I disagree... It's always useful.... I found when I had just the 40 I sometimes found myself not carrying at all because I had on gym shorts or just a t shirt etc... But the LCP II goes everywhere.. Ankle holster if needed, pocket holster, appendix, anything.... It gives me more options to always have a firearm on me...clothing permitted I'll still grab the 40... But for a first gun? A pocket 380 is way more useful when carried 100% of the time than a 9mm you sometimes leave at home... To each his own 

Edited by Steve Butters

14 minutes ago, Steve Butters said:

A pocket 380 is way more useful when carried 100% of the time than a 9mm you sometimes leave at home.

Agree.  My smallest carry rigs are the ones that get the most use (by far).  In fact, I carry one of these quite a bit.  It a 5 shot .22 mag and more accurate that you would imagine.  

wm_7777242.jpg

I don’t carry as often as i should, and i hate the notion of buying 380 rounds when 9mm is cheaper.  Wasn’t meant to be a dig against 380 as a round, or the subcompact pistols chambered for them. 

I own 1 handgun. I prefer rifles. G19 is the compromise i’ve chosen for enjoyment and carry. 

My new job is safer, and the building prohibits firearms. It’s much harder to shoot on my lunch break than it used to be 😞

46 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

My new job is safer, and the building prohibits firearms. It’s much harder to shoot on my lunch break than it used to be 😞

Keep it in the car. They can't prohibit that unless it is federal property. Senate Bill 199 in 131st assembly. It impacts a bunch of ORCs.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tonik said:

Keep it in the car. They can't prohibit that unless it is federal property. Senate Bill 199 in 131st assembly. It impacts a bunch of ORCs.

I park in a garage and either walk across the street or through a tunnel to my building. Locking it in my car would mean i have a gun holstered during my commute, and then leave it subject to theft for 8.5 hours/day. I want it for from the car to the building.

19 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

I park in a garage and either walk across the street or through a tunnel to my building. Locking it in my car would mean i have a gun holstered during my commute, and then leave it subject to theft for 8.5 hours/day. I want it for from the car to the building.

The idea behind concealed is that no one knows you have it.  Hard to do with a huge slide gun.  I know a guy who carries hammerless j frame everywhere and no one is the wiser.  

5 minutes ago, max power said:

The idea behind concealed is that no one knows you have it.  Hard to do with a huge slide gun.  I know a guy who carries hammerless j frame everywhere and no one is the wiser.  

Truth. Even more reason I like my pocket gun. It goes places it shouldn't and it doesn't print at all. Ankle holster I have is neoprene and you forget you're even wearing it. Ankle carry sucks but it's better than no carry.

Just now, Bad324 said:

its been years since I had a Ruger .380 but that thing was no fun to shoot at the range. IT was however the best to carry of the ones I had

Never shot the original but the LCP II has a nice trigger. It's a bit snappy for a small gun but shoots nice and crisp.