I think I lost my passion for riding

Tpoppa

Wowzers!  You sure you heard your Doc correctly?  That level of Vit D is considered pretty toxic.  4000 IU (6x RDA) is the max upper limit per day, so 28,000 per week.  I'd do a touch-back with your MD or pharmacist to make sure.

https://healthfully.com/298565-how-much-vitamin-d3-is-safe-to-take-to-prevent-toxicity.html

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Bubba said:

Wowzers!  You sure you heard your Doc correctly?  That level of Vit D is considered pretty toxic.  4000 IU (6x RDA) is the max upper limit per day, so 28,000 per week.  I'd do a touch-back with your MD or pharmacist to make sure.

https://healthfully.com/298565-how-much-vitamin-d3-is-safe-to-take-to-prevent-toxicity.html

50,000 iu is actually just 1 pill.  It's pretty standard to treat severe deficiency.  It wouldn't be healthy for someone with normal levels.

On 11/6/2018 at 8:32 AM, Tpoppa said:

So it turns out there may be a medical explanation for this.  I just had blood work done after I couldn't shake a cold and it turns out I have a pretty serious Vitamin D deficiency, that's been slowly getting worse for years.

It comes with a bunch of seemingly unrelated symptoms like:  headache, extreme fatigue, temperature sensitivity, chronic pain, difficulty sleeping, getting sick often, etc...all things that make it hard to enjoy things as much as I used to.  It's been pretty awful, but it makes sense.

Good news is that once diagnosed, it's pretty easy to treat.  I should bounce back after a few months of supplements.  We'll see.      

Very cool. There are at least two different ways to measure vitamin D levels, so I'm curious about that. And what caused the deficiency? Is it just lack of sun exposure, really dark skin, or lack of dietary intake? Extremely low-fat diet? Or maybe your body doesn't absorb vitamin D well? 

Magnesium is another nutrient that tends to be deficient, but not as easy to supplement without digestive issues.

17 hours ago, hiro said:

Very cool. There are at least two different ways to measure vitamin D levels, so I'm curious about that. And what caused the deficiency? Is it just lack of sun exposure, really dark skin, or lack of dietary intake? Extremely low-fat diet? Or maybe your body doesn't absorb vitamin D well? 

Magnesium is another nutrient that tends to be deficient, but not as easy to supplement without digestive issues.

The Dr didn't really mention a cause other than saying it's pretty common in Ohio.

• Upvote 1