My wife’s knee replacement

Howabusa

My wife had total knee replacement Friday morning. It went well. I was hoping that her pain wouldn’t be too bad. Wrong! To me there is nothing worse than seeing someone you love in pain! FUCK!!! The doctor wanted to give OxyContin for the pain, she had him give her Vicodin instead. It works, but every 4 hours she is in extreme pain. I was supposed to start a pretty good seasonal job tomorrow, not going to be able to! I am the only one that can take care of her. FUCK!!! Okay I am done.

• Upvote 1

Get her to take the oxycotin. I was on it recently for six weeks. I didn't get addicted or die. Shit works in minutes and lasts till the next dose.

Speaking of shit, if she does take it get her on a mild laxative right away, soon as she starts.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tonik said:

Get her to take the oxycotin. I was on it recently for six weeks. I didn't get addicted or die. Shit works in minutes and lasts till the next dose.

Speaking of shit, if she does take it get her on a mild laxative right away, soon as she starts.

The Vicodin is working. The pain is already better than it was. 

• Upvote 1

Kent,

Hang in there. The wife really needs your support now. My wife had her second knee replacement in May. So we knew what was coming, sorta. 

A word of advice on the pills, check to be certain that she received the number that the doc prescribed. I'm not saying the pharmacy would mis-count. With all the awareness of the opioid epidemic, some INSURANCE companies (bastards) have started refusing to pay for the full course of the prescription. When we left the hospital, the nurse explained this, but there were too many things going on for me to remember this important fact. And the wife, well, she was drugged at the time, so.... guess whose fault it was two weeks later when she realized that she didn't have enough pills to get through the weekend. Plus, that's when you learn that the doc cannot send a scrip for an opioid by fax or any means except by snail mail. I should have driven the 2 hours to Morgantown. Hindsight.

So sorry to hear about her dad's passing. Knowing that it's coming let's you prepare, a bit. But it still hits you. Watch her for depression as she deals with this on top of the frustration of the physical therapy/recovery.

Again, hang in there! Keep refilling that ice bag. Keep adjusting that behind-the-knee pillow.

Chris

• Upvote 2

I'll second everything that @Shoop says. Ice and movement in her friend. I know the pain is atrocious, but the better/more you work at it, the more beneficial it will be. I'll also echo at what @Tonik says as well. Pain meds do a number on your bowels and that isn't something you need to compound the problem. 

If they didn't give her a device, make sure she is doing her foot pumps as often as she can. That will help lower the risk of a clot. Also have her walk on it as much as she can. Take the PT as seriously as she can. My therapist told me the harder I worked there, the more I'd reap the benefits once I was done. Best of luck to you both!

• Upvote 1

The more she moves the better. My mom had to sleep sitting up for the first week. She would get up and walk in the middle of the night and apply ice packs. She would walk and do exercises for 30 min every hour during the day and 15 min at night. It kept it loose.

Thanks for everyone’s support and encouragement! The wife is an RN and she knows all about counting her pills. The Vicodin does take care of the pain and I have to go pickup a prescription for more today. As for the PT, she was ahead of the curve when they evaluated her at the hospital before she came home. A couple of more weeks and she should be good! You definitely learn who cares about you when you go through something like this.

RANT! Relatives suck! My wife has been home for 9 days. She is slowly getting better. PT has been here 3 times. I am pissed that my mom and her mom have not called one fucking time to check on her! Really, do they not realize how serious this surgery was and how great the risk of a blood clot was! My wife’s oldest daughter hasn’t called either! We are always there for these relatives and do more for them than anybody else! I am thinking that will be changing. Ok, I am done.

My mom had the same thing happened. I stayed with her the 1st week. My grandfather did not understand why she couldn't let my uncle and his son stay with her the day after surgery. He expected her to make 2 meals a day for 6 people. Then, thought I would.... She said no, I was there to help her not play maid.

My step dad gave her a hard time for several weeks after. Family sucks sometimes.

She is lucky to have you to help her.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/16/2018 at 7:11 AM, Howabusa said:

My wife had total knee replacement Friday morning. It went well. I was hoping that her pain wouldn’t be too bad. Wrong! To me there is nothing worse than seeing someone you love in pain! FUCK!!! The doctor wanted to give OxyContin for the pain, she had him give her Vicodin instead. It works, but every 4 hours she is in extreme pain. I was supposed to start a pretty good seasonal job tomorrow, not going to be able to! I am the only one that can take care of her. FUCK!!! Okay I am done.

Yeah, no, you'll be needed for a couple weeks! Went through this with my wife. Drugs will be her best friend. You're just a helper! ^_^ 

• 1 year later...

It has now a little over 2 years since my wife had her knee replaced. She has never been without pain. She found another surgeon in Columbus. It turns out that the surgeon didn’t cement the knee joint to the bones. She has movement of the joint in the bones. So, November 18th the new surgeon is going to put in a new knee. Fuck!

• Sad 1

Are they using a larger size?

My father-in-law had an infection in his replacement and had to have it removed and then replaced later (after 6 weeks of healing) with a larger size replacement (part that is put into the bones).