PIRC Sept 15/16

Jester_

6 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Plus, I did my mini track day yesterday. 

Had my own dedicated photographer too!

1.jpg

Now if only there were places you could take it to and track progress, like a paved race track but smaller. Hmmmm 

11 hours ago, what said:

Now if only there were places you could take it to and track progress, like a paved race track but smaller. Hmmmm 

I already found the limit on the grom at slower and faster speed, could control loosing the front or rear and keeping it up with my knee. :dunno: It's fun, but big bikes are more challenging for me.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TimTheAzn said:

I already found the limit on the grom at slower and faster speed, could control loosing the front or rear and keeping it up with my knee. :dunno: It's fun, but big bikes are more challenging for me.

to be fair, that's like a free climber standing at the base of el capitan and saying they've already found the limits at the local rock gym so they will only climb everest. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, what said:

to be fair, that's like a free climber standing at the base of el capitan and saying they've already found the limits at the local rock gym so they will only climb everest. 

I would relate the mini track to your local indoor rock gym and actual outdoor climbing big bikes and big track.  :dunno:

@jacobhawkins  I'll take the high road on this one. But I can tell you I already know you don't know what your talking about.

not saying one is better than the other but both big bikes and minis have their own challenges. the top racers train on small bikes for a reason. 

and if we want to get technical with my analogy, riding on the street would be the rock gym :p 

Edited by what

Just now, what said:

not saying one is better than the other but both big bikes and minis have their own challenges. the top racers train on small bikes for a reason. 

Tim rides an SV. It's not even a real "big bike." He sold that one. 😄

• Haha 2

Just now, what said:

Dont think I've seen Vale or Marquez on a mini bike since they grew tall enough to ride a full sized bike with the exception of publicity events. They ride supermotos on dirt tracks for training, thats about as close as they come from what I've seen.

1 minute ago, TimTheAzn said:

Dont think I've seen Vale or Marquez on a mini bike since they grew tall enough to ride a full sized bike with the exception of publicity events. They ride supermotos on dirt tracks for training, thats about as close as they come from what I've seen.

and for them, the sumos are small bikes. same concept. ultimately seat time is seat time no matter what you're on. clearly you don't want to mess with minis and thats fine but thinking you've reached a level of mastery where you would see no benefits from racing them on a track is doubtful. beyond that though, it's just fun :D 

Edited by what

Hey man, lighten up, I'm only giving you a hard time cause i honestly don't understand your opposition to mini racing.  Didn't mean to offend, intended to be an over the top ridiculous joke.  Obviously, I barely know you on a forum, much less real life.

3 minutes ago, blue03636 said:

I think it boils down to the "mini racing is the end all teaching tool and if you don't do it you suck" attitude of the mini crowd.

Not sure anyone has that view. Mini racing is fun and if you don't come have fun with us you suck is what we all get together and chant every full moon and eclipse, though. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, blue03636 said:

I think it boils down to the "mini racing is the end all teaching tool and if you don't do it you suck" attitude of the mini crowd.

Huh, dont think I've said anything about it being the greatest teaching tool ever.  It's fun and cheap.  If you have a free weekend from big bike days, it's a great way to spend an afternoon.  And when a guy with a mini bike that fits in a class I race in posts a picture in leathers "practicing" I get excited.  All of the excuses I've seen so far why not to do it dont really add up.  I've offered my bike for free to anyone anytime to come check it out, numerous times.  Had complete strangers sleep at my house before events.  Met really cool people doing it, same with big bikes man, its all good!  We all like bikes, this is just another avenue.  

• Upvote 1

Why can't we all just enjoy all bikes for what they are.  Mini bikes are fun so are the big bikes.  each one teaches you something about the other when you race them.  I also enjoy the mini's because I don't have to shell out 200$ plus a day to use it

21 minutes ago, blue03636 said:

if there are people that have that attitude I oppose them as well.  I really just want people to get into it so that more of us can chill at the tracks and have a good time bs around

I think mostly everyone who rides Minis also rides big bikes on the track as well.  They both teach valuable lessons, but I can assure you that I became a much more proficient rider on my big bike as a result of the things I've learned on the OMRL bike. 

It's cheap, they crash well so you can learn your limits and they don't have pristine brakes or suspension... so you learn how a bike feels in different situations without much risk of doing tons of expensive damage to a bike or to yourself.   

Are big bike track days fun? Absolutely...  but they're far more expensive and thus... less time to do those types of things. 

My only argument is if you HAVEN'T tried mini-bike racing, you really can't talk about it one way or the other.  And you mostly don't have an excuse to not try it as there are plenty of guys on the boards here that are willing to lend their bike for ABSOLUTELY FREE to come try it out on a practice day.  

I dunno... I just don't see why someone wouldn't want to at least try it....

In the end, everyone has their own agenda of fun...

Mine just is currently racing mini-bikes for $70 for an entire weekend for 2 days of riding and fun having.  

• Upvote 1