ABS vs Non-ABS

Casper

On 9/13/2018 at 1:29 PM, Tonik said:

The point isn't how many people survive without ABS.

The point is a lot of people have not survived because they didn't have ABS. 31 percent drop in accidents with ABS.

I wrecked my FZ because I was a dumbass, however, ABS would have totally kept that wreck from happening. No question about it.

I'm not buying it. Correlation does not mean causation.  ABS costs more and is usually found on higher end models. People who have money to spend on higher end models typically may have a higher income, along with better education. Meaning someone onan ABS bike may have been acting in a more careful mannor to begin with. Not saying but just saying. 

19 minutes ago, zx3vfr said:

I'm not buying it. Correlation does not mean causation.  ABS costs more and is usually found on higher end models. People who have money to spend on higher end models typically may have a higher income, along with better education. Meaning someone onan ABS bike may have been acting in a more careful mannor to begin with. Not saying but just saying. 

The guy you quoted (coincidentally me) has two bikes. Socioeconomic variables are moot, since it's the same rider on both. One has ABS and has been driven 70,000 miles like a madman and never been wrecked. The other without ABS wrecked in less than 1000 miles.

3 hours ago, Tonik said:

The guy you quoted (coincidentally me) has two bikes. Socioeconomic variables are moot, since it's the same rider on both. One has ABS and has been driven 70,000 miles like a madman and never been wrecked. The other without ABS wrecked in less than 1000 miles.

Just trolling. 

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

You should hit up the track threads and talk about small bikes. They freak out, it's a riot.

Oh I know. I posted about a wrecked Ninja 300 a while ago. I got called a kid who would kill himself. I got told I'd outgrow it after 3 laps. I was also told just to get a 600 as a 300 is slow and would just piss other riders off. 

Some of the early ABS systems on motorcycles were total shit.  

I had an 2008 SV650 with abs that was absolutely dangerous.  It wouldn't lock up, but it also wouldn't stop you in certain situations.  It was not confidence inspiring.

I had a 2000 BMW R1100R with abs that were...meh.  

I had a 2010 VFR1200 and 2010 CBR600RR that had Honda's excellent C-ABS.  Those bikes had more braking skills that I did...but I could out brake the ABS on the Suz and BMW....easily.

Current generations of ABS are even better than what I had on the Hondas.

17 hours ago, Tonik said:

To be fair, you were not riding the fz like you ride the white whale. Probably wouldn't have even been in that position in the first place if you were on the cruiser.

Have ABS on the new bike. Don't care if it's there or not did not and will not buy a bike with that as a deciding factor. The ABS light goes off all the time like its doing something but I have never felt like it has saved me from an accident. I rode the old bike like I ride the new bike and never had an issue where I thought that I needed ABS. I might not tax my brakes enough to think that ABS is needed so it might be something for the faster, more aggressive riders. I like to think that I ride a fairly quick street pace but it's not because I rely heavily on hard braking to do it. That kind of aggressive riding is for the track where you are on the edge of tire grip when braking. Aggressive braking is where most mistakes are made, which is why I don't apply it on the street, I want to ride long miles and be able to do it again the next day.

Speaking of long miles I did Skyline Drive and the whole Blue Ridge Parkway a few weeks ago. $25 to ride 105 miles with a posted 35MPH speed limit means that I won't be doing the Skyline drive again. The Blue Ridge Parkway is okay but just okay. If it was posted as 55MPH instead of 45MPH it would be better. Both were heavily patrolled and not worth the trouble if you would get a ticket on either.

On 9/17/2018 at 4:52 PM, Uncle Punk said:

Have ABS on the new bike. Don't care if it's there or not did not and will not buy a bike with that as a deciding factor. The ABS light goes off all the time like its doing something but I have never felt like it has saved me from an accident. I rode the old bike like I ride the new bike and never had an issue where I thought that I needed ABS. I might not tax my brakes enough to think that ABS is needed so it might be something for the faster, more aggressive riders. I like to think that I ride a fairly quick street pace but it's not because I rely heavily on hard braking to do it. That kind of aggressive riding is for the track where you are on the edge of tire grip when braking. Aggressive braking is where most mistakes are made, which is why I don't apply it on the street, I want to ride long miles and be able to do it again the next day.

Speaking of long miles I did Skyline Drive and the whole Blue Ridge Parkway a few weeks ago. $25 to ride 105 miles with a posted 35MPH speed limit means that I won't be doing the Skyline drive again. The Blue Ridge Parkway is okay but just okay. If it was posted as 55MPH instead of 45MPH it would be better. Both were heavily patrolled and not worth the trouble if you would get a ticket on either.

Skyline sucks balls. Too many people on that section. 

I like BRP I'll admit the limit on some of it needs to 55. But I've found sticking to 10 over they dont even bat an eye at you in the 45 areas. Just dont go over much in the reduced areas. I like it for the veiws and lack of commuter and truck traffic. Most folks will pull over and let you go buy it you put your head lights on their mirror for a min

Edited by 2talltim

I have about 2300 miles on my gsxs1000 abs.  I've only ever noticed it activate once, and that was coming to a stop at an intersection and hit oil or something while using the front brake. It blipped for a second. That may have been the difference between stopping on 2 wheels and having the front end tuck and getting tossed to the pavement, which I have experienced in the past in a similar situation. 

Never noticed abs kick in on the track. TC kicked in plenty of times. Abs may have, but I didnt notice. I'm glad it's there, I've set it off on purpose with the rear brake before just to test it and it works great. So does my TC. Neither inspire me to ride like (more of) a dickhead than I would otherwise....the motor does that just fine. 

Who the fuck uses the rear brake at speed? I use mine to maneuver in parking lots or to hold my bike at a light. Why would you brake with the wheel that loses traction when the bike slows down? Unless it's an oh shit moment and you're heading to a collision and just grab and stomp on every bit of brake you have to avoid smashing into something I just dont see it as a good option. You have easily 4x the braking force up front on a tire that gets loaded more the harder you brake. 

But wtf do I know? I'm a middle aged man who is quickly becoming a squid. 

1 hour ago, Pauly said:

I need ABS on my bicycle. Almost got creamed yeaterday snowplowing the front through some pea gravel. I saved it, though. My bike handling skills are far superior to any offerings from Skynet. 

Is it a real mtb ride if you don't crash at least once?

ABS is probably most handy when you're already tipped in and have to panic brake or you're on a slick surface. Straight up and down on dry pavement, you will flip the bike over before the front locks up... if you're not an idiot that goes 0-100% on brake pressure in a split second I guess. Could lock the front that way maybe. 

Edited by what

On 9/17/2018 at 6:42 PM, 2talltim said:

Skyline sucks balls. Too many people on that section. 

I like BRP I'll admit the limit on some of it needs to 55. But I've found sticking to 10 over they dont even bat an eye at you in the 45 areas. Just dont go over much in the reduced areas. I like it for the views and lack of comunter and truck traffic. Most folks will pull over and let you go buy it you put your head lights on their mirror for a min

I set my cruise at 54mph, I probably had to turn the cruise off about half a dozen times for sharp curves I couldn't see around. Kinda boring for 469 miles and even though the new bike is comfortable going so slowly I didn't need to move around so it became uncomfortable. Gas stops were welcomed to end the monotony. It's a beautiful safe road that would be really fun if it wasn't so heavily patrolled and the fines weren't so big if caught speeding.

Just like Deal's Gap I'm certain that there are roads just as good in the area that aren't patrolled as heavily with a realistic speed limit.

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1