ABS vs Non-ABS

Casper

22 minutes ago, Steve Butters said:

How has anyone survived without ABS? Everyone who has it acts like they'd be dead otherwise 🤷🏻‍♂️

I rode my non abs vfr through an Ohio winter, snow and all, and Im still here to fuck with yall lol

The point isn't how many people survive without ABS.

The point is a lot of people have not survived because they didn't have ABS. 31 percent drop in accidents with ABS.

I wrecked my FZ because I was a dumbass, however, ABS would have totally kept that wreck from happening. No question about it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

The point is a lot of people have not survived because they didn't have ABS. 31 percent drop in accidents with ABS.

I wrecked my FZ because I was a dumbass, however, ABS would have totally kept that wreck from happening. No question about it.

Fair point 🍻

2 hours ago, Tonik said:

Given not many of us know exactly what happened when you wrecked, since you kept that pretty private, how would have ABS saved you?

3 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Given not many of us know exactly what happened when you wrecked, since you kept that pretty private, how would have ABS saved you?

I went too hot into a corner. Too hot for me, not the bike. I locked the rear, then serious dumbassness kicked in. Without that initial lock I would have been fine.

2 hours ago, Tonik said:

Claims during the first 90 days of an insured rider's policy drop 30 percent with ABS compared to an otherwise identical model, the IIHS says. In the second three months, as riders grow more accustomed to their bikes, the advantage shrinks to 19 percent.

15 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

Claims during the first 90 days of an insured rider's policy drop 30 percent with ABS compared to an otherwise identical model, the IIHS says. In the second three months, as riders grow more accustomed to their bikes, the advantage shrinks to 19 percent.

I take that as people being careful with their new toy and then growing accustomed to their toy and start doing dumb shit. ABS, TCS, Wheelie Control, Slide Control wont save you from stupid lol.

Edited by TimTheAzn
  • Upvote 1

Jim, don't label yourself a dumbass. Shit happens. I would follow you on any road. ABS or not. One slip hardly touched your credibility as an excellent moto pilot in my opinion. You are still the man. 

Regarding ABS... I haven't had to use mine, but I have also only put 2k miles on my bike in 14 months. Given the choice, I will always opt for computer braking versus human braking. 

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 1

The 4 times it saved me had nothing to do with rider ability or pushing it too hard. 2 of mine were due to me not paying attention(aka rubbernecking) and having to grab a hand full at the last min. And the other 2 times were asshats (one in a car one on a bike) pulling out in front of me. Might have also helped me a few times in grass and gravel at slow speeds too, but I hardly call those life saving ordeals. 

3 hours ago, Pauly said:

Jim, don't label yourself a dumbass. Shit happens. I would follow you on any road. ABS or not. One slip hardly touched your credibility as an excellent moto pilot in my opinion. You are still the man. 

Regarding ABS... I haven't had to use mine, but I have also only put 2k miles on my bike in 14 months. Given the choice, I will always opt for computer braking versus human braking. 

I agree with Pauly, Jim! I enjoy following you.

I dont have any problems with ABS and the electronix, but where its effed up is riders start thinking since I have it, I can pay less attention to  improve riding skills. 

"If only I had ABS, there wouldnt be a wreck"  ... .. yeah.. yeah. What ever.. Rider slacked on the skill focus and ate it. 

Edited by mello dude

I watched 2 friends crash right in front of me from locking up the rear entering a corner, then releasing it and highsiding.  ABS would probably have saved both crashes.

Would have helped this guy too

https://jalopnik.com/racer-who-grabbed-another-riders-brake-lever-could-be-i-1828964861

Edited by MSerfozo
  • Haha 1