ScubaCinci

2018 Fall Gap Trip?

Anyone planning an October gap trip? I just got back from that area on my annual car trip with others and I wanted to be on a bike so bad...If I can get away from work, I'd like to take a bike trip down. October has always been a good trip...less traffic/people and cooler temps.

55 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

Anyone planning an October gap trip? I just got back from that area on my annual car trip with others and I wanted to be on a bike so bad...If I can get away from work, I'd like to take a bike trip down. October has always been a good trip...less traffic/people and cooler temps.

I would go with you sir.

Derbycon is 3 to 7. So maybe the weekend of the 20th, but I am flexible. I could roll to Cincy Wed night then we roll in the AM....plan on being home Sunday maybe.

I'm tapped out for vacation. I had surgery yesterday and wont be able to get on the bike for at least 2 weeks. I'm hoping the doc writes me off work till the 24th(September) and I can sneak down to the gap the weekend before. But my plan was to trailer the Z down for its maiden gap voyage. No I'm not riding that SOB down.

If you guys plan some thing in October I might be able to meet you down there on the Connie IF I'm not scheduled to work that weekend. But as always that a day by day notice leading up to the weekend. So don't plan anything around me but there is a slim chance I can make a cameo appearance.

Edited by 2talltim

22 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

But my plan was to trailer.....

It will forever be in the OR historical archives. 

Edited by TimTheAzn
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I have a touring bike. If I want to tour I'll take it. You will not see IT on a trailer unless it broken or wrecked.

Depending on work schedule, I may be available. Nomad style trip or home base style?

2 hours ago, 2talltim said:

I'm tapped out for vacation. I had surgery yesterday and wont be able to get on the bike for at least 2 weeks. I'm hoping the doc writes me off work till the 24th(September) and I can sneak down to the gap the weekend before. But my plan was to trailer the Z down for its maiden gap voyage. No I'm not riding that SOB down.

If you guys plan some thing in October I might be able to meet you down there on the Connie IF I'm not scheduled to work that weekend. But as always that a day by day notice leading up to the weekend. So don't plan anything around me but there is a slim chance I can make a cameo appearance.

if you need a wing man down there let me know. I can observe and log you re-hab for you on my Z

Edited by B-Mac
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

this gave me a hearty giggle. With the week I'm having it was much needed.

I could probably do anything in October before the 20th. 20th on I’m out. 

12-15 looks wide open. 

@cmh_sprint

6 hours ago, 2talltim said:

I'm tapped out for vacation.

This will be the first year in the almost 23 years I've been with the company that I probably will not use all of my vacation. This year has been a bear for my work and my wife's as well.

5 hours ago, JustinNck1 said:

Depending on work schedule, I may be available. Nomad style trip or home base style?

Either way...I think the last time we went we did nomad style which afforded us a lot more range.

1 hour ago, Casper said:

I could probably do anything in October before the 20th. 20th on I’m out. 

12-15 looks wide open. 

@cmh_sprint

Probably not. Wife and I are looking at taking a trip for our 20th. 

I turn 30 on Oct. 15.  Would be a fun way to celebrate.  Similarly piqued interest.

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 1

From a work standpoint, the best days that will probably work for me is Oct 18-21. Those in the north would be welcome to come down to my house in Cinci Wed night...I have 3 spare rooms. I have to talk to my boss and see if there are any concerns. I'm on a huge project and it's pretty hot and heavy through the rest of the year. I already have 10/29 - 11/5 off for a dive trip I scheduled last year so that's a lot of time off in a short period.

I cannot do the first week of October. Other than that.... I think I could make something happen. 

I’m planning on going October 12-15. I’ll probably leave the 11th and take two days. I have two places I need to check out as options for next year’s OR trip. I’ll post a new thread for it in case you all decide on a different weekend. 

I just might be in the 'Gap area around that time, before heading N to Ohio

11 hours ago, Danimal said:

Dan I’m sorry you had to derail your big trip south, but I’m glad you’re feeling better and back on the bike from my last read over on adv. 

17 hours ago, Danimal said:

This makes me want to try even harder to go. 

• Beer 1

12 hours ago, durk said:

Dan I’m sorry you had to derail your big trip south, but I’m glad you’re feeling better and back on the bike from my last read over on adv. 

Thanks.

Will try again for S America....maybe when I can get someone who wants to join me (Beetle?) in a year or two.

And I did make it to the Yucatan, within an hour ride from the Guatemala border, so I did get pretty far South before I got sick.

Need to get back to work, maybe in the Spring, and live like a monk, stashing enough for another go.

Feels good to be back on the bike where I belong, and am excited to ride areas of the US I've never ridden in the next 6-7 weeks

Edited by Danimal
  • Upvote 3

On 9/6/2018 at 6:42 PM, ScubaCinci said:

From a work standpoint, the best days that will probably work for me is Oct 18-21. Those in the north would be welcome to come down to my house in Cinci Wed night...I have 3 spare rooms. I have to talk to my boss and see if there are any concerns. I'm on a huge project and it's pretty hot and heavy through the rest of the year. I already have 10/29 - 11/5 off for a dive trip I scheduled last year so that's a lot of time off in a short period.

That works for me if you get the ok from work.

My boss has been in Africa, she is supposed to be back Monday.

I don't need much warning. They pretty much can't fire me anyway.

• Haha 1

Ha, I'm good to go. I need to look at routes...I was thinking of trying to catch the BRP somewhere south of Roanoke VA. I've never been north of the viaduct area. But I'm open to most anything...I just need to get out and ride.

The dam tour we did on the way back a few years ago was pretty cool, up through the Daniel Boone NF.