2018 Fall Gap Trip?

ScubaCinci

Anyone planning an October gap trip? I just got back from that area on my annual car trip with others and I wanted to be on a bike so bad...If I can get away from work, I'd like to take a bike trip down. October has always been a good trip...less traffic/people and cooler temps.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

Anyone planning an October gap trip? I just got back from that area on my annual car trip with others and I wanted to be on a bike so bad...If I can get away from work, I'd like to take a bike trip down. October has always been a good trip...less traffic/people and cooler temps.

I would go with you sir.

Derbycon is 3 to 7. So maybe the weekend of the 20th, but I am flexible. I could roll to Cincy Wed night then we roll in the AM....plan on being home Sunday maybe.

I'm tapped out for vacation. I had surgery yesterday and wont be able to get on the bike for at least 2 weeks. I'm hoping the doc writes me off work till the 24th(September) and I can sneak down to the gap the weekend before. But my plan was to trailer the Z down for its maiden gap voyage. No I'm not riding that SOB down.

If you guys plan some thing in October I might be able to meet you down there on the Connie IF I'm not scheduled to work that weekend. But as always that a day by day notice leading up to the weekend. So don't plan anything around me but there is a slim chance I can make a cameo appearance.

Edited by 2talltim
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 2talltim said:

I'm tapped out for vacation. I had surgery yesterday and wont be able to get on the bike for at least 2 weeks. I'm hoping the doc writes me off work till the 24th(September) and I can sneak down to the gap the weekend before. But my plan was to trailer the Z down for its maiden gap voyage. No I'm not riding that SOB down.

If you guys plan some thing in October I might be able to meet you down there on the Connie IF I'm not scheduled to work that weekend. But as always that a day by day notice leading up to the weekend. So don't plan anything around me but there is a slim chance I can make a cameo appearance.

if you need a wing man down there let me know. I can observe and log you re-hab for you on my Z

Edited by B-Mac
  • Beer 1

6 hours ago, 2talltim said:

I'm tapped out for vacation.

This will be the first year in the almost 23 years I've been with the company that I probably will not use all of my vacation. This year has been a bear for my work and my wife's as well.

5 hours ago, JustinNck1 said:

Depending on work schedule, I may be available. Nomad style trip or home base style?

Either way...I think the last time we went we did nomad style which afforded us a lot more range.

From a work standpoint, the best days that will probably work for me is Oct 18-21. Those in the north would be welcome to come down to my house in Cinci Wed night...I have 3 spare rooms. I have to talk to my boss and see if there are any concerns. I'm on a huge project and it's pretty hot and heavy through the rest of the year. I already have 10/29 - 11/5 off for a dive trip I scheduled last year so that's a lot of time off in a short period.

I’m planning on going October 12-15. I’ll probably leave the 11th and take two days. I have two places I need to check out as options for next year’s OR trip. I’ll post a new thread for it in case you all decide on a different weekend. 

11 hours ago, Danimal said:

I just might be in the 'Gap area around that time, before heading N to Ohio

Dan I’m sorry you had to derail your big trip south, but I’m glad you’re feeling better and back on the bike from my last read over on adv. 

On 9/6/2018 at 6:42 PM, ScubaCinci said:

From a work standpoint, the best days that will probably work for me is Oct 18-21. Those in the north would be welcome to come down to my house in Cinci Wed night...I have 3 spare rooms. I have to talk to my boss and see if there are any concerns. I'm on a huge project and it's pretty hot and heavy through the rest of the year. I already have 10/29 - 11/5 off for a dive trip I scheduled last year so that's a lot of time off in a short period.

That works for me if you get the ok from work.

Ha, I'm good to go. I need to look at routes...I was thinking of trying to catch the BRP somewhere south of Roanoke VA. I've never been north of the viaduct area. But I'm open to most anything...I just need to get out and ride.

The dam tour we did on the way back a few years ago was pretty cool, up through the Daniel Boone NF.

21 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

Ha, I'm good to go. I need to look at routes...I was thinking of trying to catch the BRP somewhere south of Roanoke VA. I've never been north of the viaduct area. But I'm open to most anything...I just need to get out and ride.

The dam tour we did on the way back a few years ago was pretty cool, up through the Daniel Boone NF.

So maybe something like Thursday down the Damn Dam Tour, part of Devils Triangle then across the Dragon to Robbinsville.

Friday a modified Georgia loop and then east towards Roanoke.

Saturday BRP in the Roanoke area and so on.

Sunday to home. You are going to have a bit of a haul going home if we do it this way.

Just thinking out loud.

I was actually thinking about the opposite direction. Start through WV and VA, pick up the BRP to the end, yada yada, do the damn dam tour on the way back like last time. I should have some time tonight to look at routes.

My thinking is the BRP can get congested, especially if the leaves are turning, so it's probably best to hit that during the weekdays and the remainder on the weekend.

12 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

I was actually thinking about the opposite direction. Start through WV and VA, pick up the BRP to the end, yada yada, do the damn dam tour on the way back like last time. I should have some time tonight to look at routes.

My thinking is the BRP can get congested, especially if the leaves are turning, so it's probably best to hit that during the weekdays and the remainder on the weekend.

That is a much better plan.